Peugeot 205 GTI steering column movement in and out

Pugo205

Fellow Frogger
Hi

I have a series 1 205gti that at some stage has been fitted with a series 3 PAS system including steering column.

My issue has that the steering wheel moves in and out about 10-20mm.

Has anybody got any suggestions why this may occur?

Second part of the post, is there any difference between the non PAS and PAS steering column because I still have the original that doesn't seem to have any movement.

Thanks

Chris

Yes, PAS is shorter obviously because the power assist control mechanism has to go somewhere.

If you have both a PAS rack and steering column, there shouldn't be any excessive movement. Get a professional to check it out.

The series 1 onto PS is an issue I have it in mine, going to put the original bottom half back in and either cut / weld or something to mate it to PS rack. What they have done is mate the bottom half of the column to the top bit like I did.

Ok now I have removed the steering column. In this photo how do I identify which one is the series one column and which one the series 3?
20240329_154904.jpg

the steering wheel would have been too far back then? Amazing the number of people who deal with PAS racks and forget about the columns being different lengths.

nickelplated is the S3 version, has the 4 holes up the top for the later dash plastics
black one is S1