505 wagon project

Nice work - I had emailed about that car, though by the time I had a reply - it was in your capable hands. Wishing you the best on sorting it out. A GTI manual wagon - very nice!!

You're welcome mate, I hope to get one this weekend... however it would be an auto. In saying that, wifey would be able to drive it. Lucky I drive a Navara at present, I am already used to a very long vehicle!

You're welcome mate, I hope to get one this weekend... however it would be an auto. In saying that, wifey would be able to drive it. Lucky I drive a Navara at present, I am already used to a very long vehicle!
Glad to hear you've found one. Please let me know if there are any spares you might need. I can have a look amongst what I got with this one. It would be nice to "pay it forward" if I can.

Nice work - I had emailed about that car, though by the time I had a reply - it was in your capable hands. Wishing you the best on sorting it out. A GTI manual wagon - very nice!!

I might be tempted to let my manual GTI wagon go

So the wagon should be up and running soon, but I can't get club registration for another 5 months. I assume I just do a half year full registration to get me on the road?

So the wagon should be up and running soon, but I can't get club registration for another 5 months. I assume I just do a half year full registration to get me on the road?
Earlier post says 1989 model which makes it 35 years old. NSW historic rego is for 30 years or older. It easily qualifies for club rego. In fact I am putting my 1991 505 wagon on historic this year.

Earlier post says 1989 model which makes it 35 years old. NSW historic rego is for 30 years or older. It easily qualifies for club rego. In fact I am putting my 1991 505 wagon on historic this year.
Hey mate. Thanks for the reply. I have to hold club membership for 6 months before I can put it on club registration. So I want to register it before that. I'm impatient to drive it.

Oh, so the car is ready but you're too new to the club. 👍(I was also confused by the delay.)

I just got the ignition barrel in the post yesterday, thanks to Graham again. So hopefully that sorts one more issue. I just wanted to check... With the timing belt cover nuts, spacers, washers and rubber grommets are these specific to the vehicle or could I source them through somewhere like Super Cheap auto?

I would try say Hayden at pug wreck or Dave cavanagh for a set of spacers/washers/nuts,505sti,gti,renault 20/25/fuego 2litre all should be same.
Thanks for the advice. I will give them a try.

I would try say Hayden at pug wreck or Dave cavanagh for a set of spacers/washers/nuts,505sti,gti,renault 20/25/fuego 2litre all should be same.
How do I contact Dave Cavanagh? I'm struggling to make contact with Pugwreck

How do I contact Dave Cavanagh? I'm struggling to make contact with Pugwreck
Update. Finally got onto Hayden who is going to check what he has. Why can't these be simple nuts and bolts that I could get at Bunnings? I'm really keen to get this wagon back on the road.

French Connection
03 93388191
Dave Cavanagh didn't have any. Hayden is having a look and so is Rowland Pym. Fingers crossed I can actually find some. It's hard to believe that they're so hard to find.

drivers seat.jpg

This weekend (or possibly next depending on commitments) should see the new ignition barrel fitted (thanks Graham) and the timing belt cover fitted (thanks Jim). Fingers crossed, once those two jobs are done, she should be ready for a blue slip.