Insurance policy hit !

I've got a quote through Shannons now - they also insure several of my other cars. Their price is back at an expected, acceptable level.
Yeah, I went to Shannons a couple of years ago for the 6 - they gave a really good quote. 12 months later the renewal quote was back up with the other insurers, for inferior coverage. Bye bye Shannons.

I've just received the Comprehensive vehicle insurance policy renewal for our 2018 308 T9 Touring.

With no changes in my circumstances from last year I've found that the policy cost has almost doubled !

Comparative quotes from other companies show roughly the same prices being quoted.

What gives ? Have thieves all of a sudden taken a liking to Pugs ?

Regards

Justin
Hi Justin. Most insurance companies will have a "retention team". If you call your insurer and threaten to switch quite often they will negotiate a discount for you to stay.

Council rates are another source of angst, but at least there's not the hassle of the aforesaid - you just gotta pay up!
Yes, I had a rather heated discussion with our shire council as to why the rentals were calculated at a higher rate than the house we lived in.

"It's a rental property"

"Yes but why is the base rate higher"?

"It's a rental property".

"What do I get extra, for the higher amount charged"?

"It's rental property".

"So you charge more for the exact same services"?

"Yes, because it's a rental property, you make money on it".

"But I'm paying for everything, mortgage insurance, repairs etc, why should you charge a higher rate when you're not contributing anything"?

"Because it's a rental property".

"FFS".

Of the 77 shires in QLD, 22 of them think it's OK to grift extra rate money off landlords, without providing any extra services whatsoever.

When I had the above conversation, the two houses in question were still mortgaged and actually costing us money, the incoming didn't cover the outgoing. I mentioned that and the reply was:

"It's still a rental property".

🤬🤬🤬

Everyone wants a piece of the action!
Yes, most of the shire's land valuations just doubled.
Because the old scheme restricted how much they could increase your rates by (something like 7% PA), they came up with a new scheme.
"A three year average of the land valuation".
Of course to anyone with half a brain, that means in 3 years time our rates will have increased 100%, plus a couple of years worth of compounded CPI rises, that figure will actually be north of 110%.
Of course the shire's costs won't have gone up 110%, the shire's 100s of employees wages won't have gone up 110%. But come rates time in 2026, sure as shit, they will still have "difficulty balancing the budget".🤦‍♂️

It's similar to our local council sending round a voting form for a) keep rates as is and maintain current services. B) increase rates 25% to improve public spaces or C) increase rates by 50% to significantly add to public service and improvement projects.

They must have forgotten option D which was the councillor bonus budget. Can't believe they left that off....

Same here , massive increase for insuring the 308. So for shots n giggles I did an online quote , same address and details but this time a 1968 Ferrari (valued at around 10 times than the 308 is) and that insurance premium was lower than they quoted for the 308 :unsure:
Half the reason I settled on the 308 GTi was that I could say "but darling, the car is cheap to run. Insurance is only $680 p/a." It's now up to $914 which is the best I can get with choice of repairer and agreed value of $28k.

Half the reason I settled on the 308 GTi was that I could say "but darling, the car is cheap to run. Insurance is only $680 p/a." It's now up to $914 which is the best I can get with choice of repairer and agreed value of $28k.
why is ti so expensive? I'll hae to check, but I'm pretty sure the RCZ, 407, CX turbo etc .... they are all less than $400 a year through shannons!

Lucky you. I have a Cit insured for $10k and the insurance is now $1380. Value goes down, but the charge goes up, from Shannons.

Greenpeace is troubled in Qld. He ought to try being in Sydney.

Actually councils strike a new rate every year to garner the total amount they think they can squeeze to cover their bloat. Changes in land value don't affect it, as the whole LGA goes up at the same time. He ought to see the size of land valuation increases in parts of Sydney.

Councils need to get back to basic services. Some councils in Sicktoria get involved in world politics, foreign politics, sister city travel etc.
As for land tax on investment properties, they have been raised significantly by our comrades in Sicktoria,while the Feral comrades choose record immigration numbers. This all together means higher rents and housing shortages.
Nothing much is going to change since on average each Feral parliamentarian has 2.5 investment properties.

why is ti so expensive? I'll hae to check, but I'm pretty sure the RCZ, 407, CX turbo etc .... they are all less than $400 a year through shannon

Because Sydney. I do have to have a chat with Shannon's again though as the circumstances have changed and the other car is with them now.

My wife's tank is due for rego. She had a bingle a few months ago, backed into another car, minor, but was an insur claim. My son, a P-plater 'may' drive it (he has his own car, but if he drives my wife's car once, has a prang where greenslip involved, they unleash the hounds). Answering the yes/no binary questions required (eg a driver is any driver, anytime, not just a regular driver, an accident is any accident), 12 months greenslip best quote tonight was: $1100. Yes, that's a greenslip, yes I used the nswmaa comparitive site. In Sydney.

My Shannons bill is $2600 PA.
That's for $35K of cover for two cars and a bike on full rego.
$130K of cover for 6 cars and 2 bikes on club rego, $50K for 2 cars on laid up cover, and the policy also includes another 2 cars just with third party property cover.

My Shannons bill exceeds that for only two cars for much less cover.

Outsiders have no idea what it's like to be based in Sydney. Everything costs more, yet we have such absurdities as Australia-wide wage awards and government benefits. Lower wage earners are of course moving to Qld.

My Shannons bill is $2600 PA.
That's for $35K of cover for two cars and a bike on full rego.
$130K of cover for 6 cars and 2 bikes on club rego, $50K for 2 cars on laid up cover, and the policy also includes another 2 cars just with third party property cover.
So sounds like the way around it is to buy more cars 🤔

And move out of Sydney.

My Shannons bill exceeds that for only two cars for much less cover.

Outsiders have no idea what it's like to be based in Sydney. Everything costs more, yet we have such absurdities as Australia-wide wage awards and government benefits. Lower wage earners are of course moving to Qld.
Yet QLD's automobile theft rate is over twice that of NSWs' on a per vehicles registered basis?

20240415_222251.jpg

I just tried to pay a green slip to Shannons. UGH!!!

1. First the wait
2 The usual options, then it really went downhill.
3 a robot asking all sorts of questions (they know this), not able to understand me. The policy number will do.
4. a human who asks the same questions over again. Why? before transferring to--
5 another robot!!!! At this point I hung up.

All I wanted to do was pay the money for an existing policy.

They have already got expensive. It may be time to leave.

1. First the wait
3 a robot asking all sorts of questions (they know this), not able to understand me. The policy number will do.
4. a human who asks the same questions over again. Why? before transferring to--

Yes, I've blasted them several times, and complained at there booth at car meets. I'm going to get a quote through that other classic car mob and move away from shannons. They are utterly impossible to get through to. The C2 is through AAMI as I tried ot get through to shannons for HOURS .... over days .... absolutely impossible. If they are that hard to give money too, imagine how difficult making a claim would be.

1. First the wait

Yes, I've blasted them several times, and complained at there booth at car meets. I'm going to get a quote through that other classic car mob and move away from shannons. They are utterly impossible to get through to. The C2 is through AAMI as I tried ot get through to shannons for HOURS .... over days .... absolutely impossible. If they are that hard to give money too, imagine how difficult making a claim would be.
I ring Shannons quite regularly (I have a habit of changing vehicles quite frequently, as do the two offspring that are on my policy), I have never had to wait long, have always spoken to someone friendly (with a good grasp of English).
I've made 4 claims over the past 20 years, all of them were dealt with in a timely manner, and all were promptly paid out at the agreed value.
Maybe us Queenslanders are on some sort of "preferred customers" list.🤔🤔🤣🤣

You are calling from a Queensland number. It isn't Sydney or even Melbourne. Perhaps that gives the phone switching system more free lines.

I used to speak to somebody friendly once, but now robots have shown up.