Renault Colour Codes

I reckon that would have been 311 Orange, that would have been a 1974 car?

I had in my mind it was 1975, but could have been 1974. It was the "series 2" with only the large glovebox above your knees, and not the little one that popped out of the top of the dash. It may have sat in a holding yard before being sold and had its compliance plate fitted.

I had in my mind it was 1975, but could have been 1974. It was the "series 2" with only the large glovebox above your knees, and not the little one that popped out of the top of the dash. It may have sat in a holding yard before being sold and had its compliance plate fitted.

Either way, it would still be the later 311 orange. I thought it had the later dash, but couldn't recall if it had the fuel filler cap (1974), or fuel filler flap (1975).

Either way, it would still be the later 311 orange. I thought it had the later dash, but couldn't recall if it had the fuel filler cap (1974), or fuel filler flap (1975).

It had the filler cap.

My earlier Feb 1974 has the top type glove box. My later Sept and Oct 1974 cars have the bigger better glove box that dropped down. Both my early 74 and later 74 have a filler caps. Not sure what my fourth car has and it is jammed in behind too many other cars to get to.

Just to clarify, my mention of model year refers to French production, so the drop down glove box is a 1974 model year change. The fuel flap (on an AUS spec car) indicates the car was built for ADR 27 fuel vapour emission rules, so then it becomes a 1975 Australian model year car. :)

I've got a pic somewhere of a Renault 16 featuring the new May 1974 model change to tombstone seats, through the window is a long row of French 1973 model year 15s. So cars were likely complianced when required, or before the ADR's changed. Like leftover Laguna 2s later on, but at least they had a build date reference on the car in addition to the much later compliance plate date.

I know this issue is ancient but I stumbled across this auto paint website.
Not sure if it's been linked before but this lists all or most of the paint codes and names for post-war (from 1950) Renaults.
It also has links to examples of the colours and some cross-references to other codes.

Bad news is that it is only for the European manufactured Renaults and does not include the Australian specific colours from the Renault Australia assembled types.
So 50's, 60's, 70's, except for imported types, not so good. Thereafter okay.

Color Codes - Renault model/year code 144 Cross-Reference

Cheers
RTT

Blood Orange

You have to be committed to have Blood Orange hair colour like mine. :cool:
Embrace the quirkiness of the French people
Have actually owned Renaults since I could drive, more than 40 years ago

orange.jpg

RTT. Good site! My local paint supplier has found the paint code and can mix the original, which I will stick with.

Driven!!! LOL

Think the paint charts relate to US cars because I have checked for the colour code for two of my fully imported French built cars and neither were listed here. Although both are listed at my local auto paint shop.

paint code swatches and charts

I don't know if it's useful but I have a bunch of swatches I've been working with creating a DB of things.

I also have a few swatches of my own matching the colours of my Renaults.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but might help someone find something..
may well do with it's own thread.

69-74 renault.JPGrenault_1967__williams_c_01.jpgpaintchips_lores.jpgPaint Codes Renault 1964-65.jpgPaint Codes Renault 1964.jpgPaint Codes Renault 1963-64.jpgPaint Codes Renault 1961-62.jpgPaint Codes 1963 Renault 2.jpgPaint Codes 1963 Renault 1.jpgRenault-Kangoo-Colours.jpgRenault_colours.jpgRenault_Paint_Colors_DuPont_1957-1961.jpg66-71 Renault.jpg$T2eC16R,!)8E9s4l7dCeBQfi7ZMbdQ--60_57.JPG$_57 (5).jpg$_57 (4).JPG$_57 (3).jpg$_57 (2).jpg$_57 (1).jpg$(KGrHqJHJEcFBfObtLlnBQh5UBk01g--60_57.JPG$(KGrHqVHJCcFBoZPgbC0BQlVkmhd(g--60_57.JPGv6cols.jpg

Last edited:
Think the paint charts relate to US cars because I have checked for the colour code for two of my fully imported French built cars and neither were listed here. Although both are listed at my local auto paint shop.

I though so too but there are types listed that weren't ever sold in the US and (I am guessing here) that the cars sold in the US were manufactured in France anyway.