10s colours

potentz

Fellow Frogger
Hi guys, what colours were the 10s originally available in besides white or sunburst brown?or could you get any colour?

So you now have possession of the 10S you told me about?

I think we need to see some pics! Did you end up getting any of those panels I have at the shop?

Cheers

Anthony

Via the aussiefrogs App

Do you mean 10's or 10S?

I don't think the 10S came in as big a range as the normal 10, and possibly in a few colours that weren't in normal 10's.
I've seen the 10S in white, brown, yellow, red and I think blue but not the dark blue of the 10 nor the really pale blue.

I'm sure someone will come up with a definite list. Strangely, I can't recall seeing any brochures where they list colours back then either. They must have started that later in the 70's and 80's where they had colour chips on car brochures.

Mine was white with black side stripe. I have a brochure, now packed away for a move, it has a yellow car depicted with a black side strip.

thanks guys. i will be starting the restoration of this barnfind genuine 10 s in the new year.all there complete with delivery docket and full service history and now registered so that i can sort the mechanical needs before proceeding.had been stored for ten years and runs great.may want to change colour to a different original colour ,hence the question re colour.
cheers brian

Attachments

• P1000986.jpg
    P1000986.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 546
  • P1000987.jpg
    P1000987.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 666
Last edited:
Potentz I agree a colour change would be good. While I like original finds to remain original in my opinion it is a terrible colour.

thanks guys. i will be starting the restoration of this barnfind genuine 10 s in the new year.all there complete with delivery docket and full service history and now registered so that i can sort the mechanical needs before proceeding.had been stored for ten years and runs great.may want to change colour to a different original colour ,hence the question re colour.
cheers brian

What happened to the stripe?
My dad bought a brand new 10S in August 1970 reg no KRD963. A white one with black stripe and I clearly remember the end of the stripe going all the way to the back of the car.

I think from memory the strip was optional and my parents didn't really want one with this flashy strip down the side regardless of my brother and I repeatedly telling them that a car with a stripe was definately faster than one without. I still remember our excitment the night we picked it up (I was 10 years old) trying to get a peak at it to see if it had a stripe or not and yes it did.

We were kings of the hill that night because we had a car with a stripe.

potentz,
As much as the colour is not what I would choose, I would not change it. The car is an awesome car, in very good general condition. To do a colour change properly is a major job.

If you do change do it properly..... !!

Ray

The 10S was introduced in May 1970, and were the final batches of R1190 Renaults assembled in Australia.

Colours: Alpine White, Barossa Red, Bathurst Blue, Daffodil Yellow, Sunburst Brown, Tannen Green. The black side stripe being a delete option.

What am I missing with the pics though? The car looks straight, no crushed sill at least on one side, the paint looks all one shade and fairly shiny, possibly needing a polish on the engine cover. All it needs is a nicer periodish rego plate, something like REN 105 on a “no logo” plate.

Why does the car need a full colour change spray job? Especially if it is an original barn find. Cars are only original once, and the body (at least in the pics) looks too nice to mess about with, and good enough to enjoy, especially with all its original history and documentation. The Sunburst paint was the flagship Renault colour for the times (launched on the 16TS in 1969), being touted as a new safety oriented shade, and whilst not all may like the colour it reflects the period of the car. And if original to the subject car, it has survived well, nearly 44 years without peeling off or the car rusting out, unlike many of the early Electrophoresis era Renaults.

I know owners can do whatever they want to their own car, but it looks a very lucky and rare find. In the absence of other dire condition info, it looks too good to repaint.

The 10S was introduced in May 1970, and were the final batches of R1190 Renaults assembled in Australia.

Colours: Alpine White, Barossa Red, Bathurst Blue, Daffodil Yellow, Sunburst Brown, Tannen Green. The black side stripe being a delete option.

What am I missing with the pics though? The car looks straight, no crushed sill at least on one side, the paint looks all one shade and fairly shiny, possibly needing a polish on the engine cover. All it needs is a nicer periodish rego plate, something like REN 105 on a “no logo” plate.

Why does the car need a full colour change spray job? Especially if it is an original barn find. Cars are only original once, and the body (at least in the pics) looks too nice to mess about with, and good enough to enjoy, especially with all its original history and documentation. The Sunburst paint was the flagship Renault colour for the times (launched on the 16TS in 1969), being touted as a new safety oriented shade, and whilst not all may like the colour it reflects the period of the car. And if original to the subject car, it has survived well, nearly 44 years without peeling off or the car rusting out, unlike many of the early Electrophoresis era Renaults.

I know owners can do whatever they want to their own car, but it looks a very lucky and rare find. In the absence of other dire condition info, it looks too good to repaint.

I agree, it looks too good to mess with, and yes, they are only original once.

Point for improvement tho..adjust the handbrake and loose the brick.:clown:

I agree, it looks too good to mess with, and yes, they are only original once.

Point for improvement tho..adjust the handbrake and loose the brick.:clown:

I agree, a prefer a good original unrestored car to one thats been restored even if the colour may not be the one of choice.

Loose the brick, thats funny, back then because our driveway is on a slope we use to keep a pile of bricks inside the roller door, one day a customer picks one up and says "yes, you can tell you do Renaults"

cheers brian

Hi guys,thanks for your replies .i appreciate everyones opinions.whilst the car is in quite good condition with very minor rust,the photos probably flatter the old girl a tad.

it has had a repaint about 20 years ago and the quality is not very good.also the colour differs slightly from the original as you can tell from inside the doors and boot etc that it is a bit more orangy.
Besides that,everything else is present and accounted for.The records and odo show 126000 mls

The engine had a complete rebuild 20 000 mls ago.my plan is to fully rebuild the front suspension and already have the parts to do it.

How did i come across it? ok, me and the and the wife were out for a sunday drive in the R8 and had just pulled up when this lovely lady asked if she could take some fotos to show her husband.turns out they were renault tragics from way back and the 10S had been parked up in 2003 due to a ignition /starter problem that some auto electrician was unable to sort.i conducted a few simple tests and attributed the problem to a faulty solenoid.i relaced said starter with another and bingo.lucky me.

cheers brian P.S MAY WELL REPAINT IN SUNBURST BUT WILL DO A BARE METAL JOB

10S refurbishment

ok guys,i have listened to all your views and after extensive evaluation i have decided to do a more sympathetic job on the 10S. here goes given that the paint job really does need doing

sand back to just past original paint.
remove minor rust
repaint original sunburst brown
leave interior ,inside boot and engine compartment etc as it is.ie original and will also save a bucket load of work and money.

how does that sound?

happy and safe xmas cheers brian

Great plan Brian. It's not a colour i'd pick either but I reckon it still looks good and will look great when you've finished :approve:

and the towns people were happy :worship::worship::worship: