fuel pump worries

IE23

Fellow Frogger
I had my original fuel pump replaced on the DS23ie a while ago because it was worn out and not able to maintain pressure. It was replaced with a new Bosch electronic unit, not sure of its details and haven't look at it yet. The problem is its unbearably noisy. The installer assured me that he had insulated it as much as possible, although now it has become even more noisy to the point of being noisier than the engine. Surely all this noise is not right and I'm going to end up stranded somewhere very soon.

So has anyone replaced their fuel pump and can offer advise on what is best; recondition original vs new unit and what brand and details and method for insulation?

If you are going to suggest I turn up the radio - Don't! Thanks

I had my original fuel pump replaced on the DS23ie a while ago because it was worn out and not able to maintain pressure. It was replaced with a new Bosch electronic unit, not sure of its details and haven't look at it yet. The problem is its unbearably noisy. The installer assured me that he had insulated it as much as possible, although now it has become even more noisy to the point of being noisier than the engine. Surely all this noise is not right and I'm going to end up stranded somewhere very soon.

So has anyone replaced their fuel pump and can offer advise on what is best; recondition original vs new unit and what brand and details and method for insulation?

If you are going to suggest I turn up the radio - Don't! Thanks

I'll definitely be able to help you with this one, but too late now to go to shed. Will let you know tomorrow the exact model. I have replaced mine with a Bosch normally intended for BX models and is doing the job well.
Very quiet, even more than the original.
Tomorrow am changing the pressure regulator as my car seems to run too rich and we think it is a dead regulator. Keep you posted.

As a matter of fact, I have found it whilst searching through my past threads. Here is the model I installed and what I wrote at the time:

This is to confirm to anyone who ever wondered how to replace their failing fuel pump on an injection DS:

Bosch fuel pump No 0580464070 fits perfectly and does the job well. Goes in with minimum fuss, and comes with a kit to suit your car. $125 delivered, better than the $400 some places in Europe are asking for the original PLUS shipping $80!!!

I'm sure it's probably enthusiasm, but I can swear it also gives the car more power...sounds much happier anyway
:wink2:

It should fit into the original pump support with insulation. It's a rubberised affair, so check yours is not gone rock hard or the new pump has been bolted directly to the inside of the sill. Could it be the piping transmitting the noise? It's never going to be completely silent though.

June is currently running one that fits an EFI Camira....is doing a sterling job, though is noisy. However, it is noisier when the fuel filter needs replacing as it has to work harder.

If it has become noisier over the last 1000klm or so, try replacing the fuel filter and see if it helps, it certainly does with June!

Hey does anyone know the flow or pressure figures specified?

The Bosch rep thinks the last listed part number was 0 580 463 005 but can't give me the specs for this part which was discontinued in 2004. He can't suggest a replacement. So I'm thinking all I need is the spec for the flow and pressure and then try to find the quietest unit.

Hey does anyone know the flow or pressure figures specified?

The Bosch rep thinks the last listed part number was 0 580 463 005 but can't give me the specs for this part which was discontinued in 2004. He can't suggest a replacement. So I'm thinking all I need is the spec for the flow and pressure and then try to find the quietest unit.

These links should tell you everything.

http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/downloads/fuelpumps.pdf

http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/downloads/BOSCH_Fuel_Pump_WEB.pdf

Here is further discussion and where a satisfactory replacement Bosch pump was found.
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89909&highlight=bosch+fuel+pump

Last edited:

Tells me everything except what I want to know; what is the original specification for flow rate and pressure for DS23ie?

Harrison C has already done the job. See third link.

The pump he used is "Bosch fuel pump No 0580464070 fits perfectly and does the job well"

Since the engine has a pressure regulator, the choice of pump can be quite broad.
All pumps cope with delivery rates for 4 or 6 cylinder, so delivery would be no issues.

Three variables remain. Hose sizes on inlet and outlet, about 4.5 bar for DJet injection. Bosch also specify pump current should be around 10 amps. So another factor decided.

So now it's a matter of looking at the Bosch external pump listing and choosing a pump.

You could read the what Citoen service manual says about specification as well to confirm. :)

You could read the what Citoen service manual says about specification as well to confirm. :)

:wink2: Page 53 of service manual 586-5

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• ie_fuel_pump.jpg
    ie_fuel_pump.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 618
Maximum pressure: 57 psi, 4 kg/cm^2

That is approx 400Kpa, approx 4 bar

So it's a 4 bar or 4.5 bar pump for you.

If you decide to install the same as me, I can post instructions and photographs of the steps I've taken. I think at the time it cost me about $100 delivered.

If you decide to install the same as me, I can post instructions and photographs of the steps I've taken. I think at the time it cost me about $100 delivered.

I'd be interested to know how noisy it is and what insulation methods you used?

In fact I don't have any insulation. It sits in the same spot as the original pump did. I don't know if your original pump had insulation, but mine didn't when I removed it. So I just installed the new one in its place.
You will only hear it shortly when you turn on the ignition then once the engine runs you cannot hear it at all .

Most cars with this style of pump mount them in a rubber cylinder clamped to something more solid.

The pump could also be noisy if it's cavitating. Are there any restrictions or kinks in the fuel line? Could the filter be the problem?

Most cars with this style of pump mount them in a rubber cylinder clamped to something more solid.

The pump could also be noisy if it's cavitating. Are there any restrictions or kinks in the fuel line? Could the filter be the problem?

I will check the filter next. It was always very noisy from day one it's just got noisier.

In fact I don't have any insulation. It sits in the same spot as the original pump did. I don't know if your original pump had insulation, but mine didn't when I removed it. So I just installed the new one in its place.
You will only hear it shortly when you turn on the ignition then once the engine runs you cannot hear it at all .

Great this is good news.

Great this is good news.

Read the Bosch number on the pump you have and check it a 3-4.5 bar pump.

I recall some re-plumbing is necessary , so check with Harrison how he did the mods.

Check that ground and +ve is on the correct terminals of the pump. Check for suction air leaks, blocked filter. If you look at the spec sheet most pumps have different diameter terminals to avoid mix up. But double check polarity.

If the pump is way out of spec or running in reverse or has leaks it will cavitate and thus be noisy. I believe roller pumps still pump in reverse, just not as well.

I wouldn't race out and buy a new pump until you have explored all of the above. So called professionals aren't nearly as thorough as the owner of a classic car!