Who to use for importing a car?
  • Help

Default Who to use for importing a car?

Having got my 205 GTI paid and into storage in the UK, I'm now looking at who to use for the import process. I'm looking for someone that can handle it from docks to handover i.e. sort all the customs stuff out too, so not just a shipper.

I found a thread on an Opel forum and the bloke used Cargo Online and detailed the process. Their quote came out at $3350 all in (plus steam clean if required). I have just got a quote from Taurus and theirs came out at $2730. Most statutory costs seem to tally up, just Taurus are cheaper in the shipping component.

Has anyone experienced either of the above, heard a rumour or offer some advice?

Cheers

Mike

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by iluvbrownale View Post
    Having got my 205 GTI paid and into storage in the UK, I'm now looking at who to use for the import process. I'm looking for someone that can handle it from docks to handover i.e. sort all the customs stuff out too, so not just a shipper.

I found a thread on an Opel forum and the bloke used Cargo Online and detailed the process. Their quote came out at $3350 all in (plus steam clean if required). I have just got a quote from Taurus and theirs came out at $2730. Most statutory costs seem to tally up, just Taurus are cheaper in the shipping component.

Has anyone experienced either of the above, heard a rumour or offer some advice?

Cheers

Mike
    I own and drive a imported Japanese car and had the car imported under the RAW Scheme.

I would assume the build date of the vehicle is prior to 1 Jan 1989, since the car is not on the SEVS register of approved imports?

You gain import approval from DOTAR before the car even loaded. You also need to have any ozone depleting refrigerants removed form the car's aircon system and have a certificate to prove this. Or a certificate to prove if has no ODP refrigerant.

Normally you pay shipping up front.

Customs will hit for duty (15%) and GST on Australian value as well as "clearing fees". Quarantine hit you for cleaning fee.

The car then needs to go to a RAW to be complied. This involves allocating a VIN number and checking compliance with ADRs which were current at time of manufacture. The car is supposed to be in factory standard condition.

The car can then be assessed for RWC and any necessary repair work done.

Registration is the final step.

Apologies if I'm telling you something you already know.

Most RAWs have a associated company that does the importing and customs/ duty stuff. The import and shipping and DOTAR stuff is easy. As is customs clearance. But you may need to find someone who has done their homework on what needs to changed, altered, upgraded to meet 1989 ADRs for a 205. This may need some research by the RAW since the 205 is not a common import.

I'd start by looking at the RAWS list. http://raws.infrastructure.gov.au/index.htm

DOTARS = Dept Of Transport and Regional Services
    RAW= Registered Automotive Workshop
    SEVS= Specialsist And Enthusiast Vehicle Scheme.

EDIT:

Here is the step-by-step http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/veh..._overview.aspx
    Last edited by robmac; 6th September 2012 at 10:08 PM.

Yeah I've got the scheme downpat: it's May 1988 so easy as and no need for for SEVS/RAWS.

Putting in the import approval tomorrow but still trying to work out who to use for the import.

Talk to Jon Meerten at Carizma. http://carizma.com.au/

They mainly do the American Muscle cars and Japanese sports/ people movers.

He may be able to help.

Are you absolutely sure about RAWS compliance? I thought the only exemption was for vehicles owned and driven overseas for 12 months?

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Talk to Jon Meerten at Carizma. http://carizma.com.au/

They mainly do the American Muscle cars and Japanese sports/ people movers.

He may be able to help.

Are you absolutely sure about RAWS compliance? I thought the only exemption was for vehicles owned and driven overseas for 12 months?
    Thanks for the tip.

The Pre-1989 scheme allows for any vehicle manufactured before 1/1/89 to be imported. There's no ownership limitations like a personal import and as its pre-89 it doesn't need to appear on the SEVS list or get RAW-ed. it still needs to get compliance which means the fitting of child anchor points in the boots and (probably) needs side impact bars added in the doors. The bloke who did an Astra GTE (also a 1988) had to do this and it cost him $70 and $200 respectively.

UFO

Try one of your fellow Aussiefroggers, Greg Selsby. selsby.com.au I think is the URL. He is a Peugeot driver I recall.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I imported a 504 cabriolet 2 years ago using Cargo online and found them very good .They could always be contacted by phone .They arranged every thing from UKport to tow truck dilivery to my house [you cant pick up your own car any more unless you have a wharf pass] I used roll on roll off ship . They are $1000 cheaper than container and quite safe .I have used them before and they mostly carry new cars .You pay for the space you take up which makes your car cheap .I paid one bill which included everything ,Freight approx 1000pounds ,$2000 Aus port and govt charges and$1400 gst on car value and all other charges > think steam cleaning is compulsory from UK so tou have to pay $400 for that .Cargo Online also give contacts for compliance issues.

Thread Information