Gregoire suspension
  • Help

Default Gregoire suspension

There was an enquiry about this suspension on AF recently but in spite of the enhanced search facilities I can't find it again.
    Anyway, in our hotel at Harrogate for the ICCCR, I met Alec, the owner of a well looked after Six Cylinder Traction fiited with the suspension. He is getting some detailed information on it for me but he echoes other people's views that one is very unlikely to ever find a kit to install it and so one would have to copy an existing installation. The key component is a lightweight alu. alloy casting that carries the damper and adds the two small springs that filter out the higher frequency oscillations in the wheel movement.
    It was apparently fitted on several car models including Traction with torsion bars and Renaults with coil springs.

Advertisement

Alec has the wing mounted badge “Suspension Gregoire” for sale. It is an exact copy of the original chrome-plated badge, but made of stainless steel and polished. So maintenance free. £40 plus postage. If you are interested in the badge or the traction version I will give you his details in a PM.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    There was an enquiry about this suspension on AF recently but in spite of the enhanced search facilities I can't find it again.
    Anyway, in our hotel at Harrogate for the ICCCR, I met Alec, the owner of a well looked after Six Cylinder Traction fiited with the suspension. He is getting some detailed information on it for me but he echoes other people's views that one is very unlikely to ever find a kit to install it and so one would have to copy an existing installation. The key component is a lightweight alu. alloy casting that carries the damper and adds the two small springs that filter out the higher frequency oscillations in the wheel movement.
    It was apparently fitted on several car models including Traction with torsion bars and Renaults with coil springs.

Alec has the wing mounted badge “Suspension Gregoire” for sale. It is an exact copy of the original chrome-plated badge, but made of stainless steel and polished. So maintenance free. £40 plus postage. If you are interested in the badge or the traction version I will give you his details in a PM.
    There is a photo of a 15 six fitted with the Gregoire suspension on page 321 of Olivier de Serres "Traction Avant Le Grand Livre". There is also an illustration of the suspension on the same page. I can scan for anyone interested.
    Strangely enough, I dont think that this suspension is mentioned in Gregoire's memoirs of 1954 ("L'Aventure Automobile" translated into English by Charles Meisl and published as "Best Wheel Foward").
    There is, of course, an Australian connection with Jean Gregoire. In 1946 Larry Hartnett (then MD of General Motors-Holden's) was in Europe seeking a car to build in Australia. After turning down offers from Renault, Fiat and Volkswagen he met with Gregoire who had a small prototype family car fitted with a aircooled twin cylinder engine, front wheel drive, and featuring a lot of aluminium castings. Hartnett was impressed and eventually bought the rights to the design with the intention of manufacturing the car in Australia. The story of the failure of this venture and how Australians became saddled with a rebadged Chevolet instead is a fascinating one and is well documented.
    roger

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    There is a photo of a 15 six fitted with the Gregoire suspension on page 321 of Olivier de Serres "Traction Avant Le Grand Livre". There is also an illustration of the suspension on the same page. I can scan for anyone interested.
    Strangely enough, I dont think that this suspension is mentioned in Gregoire's memoirs of 1954 ("L'Aventure Automobile" translated into English by Charles Meisl and published as "Best Wheel Foward").
    There is, of course, an Australian connection with Jean Gregoire. In 1946 Larry Hartnett (then MD of General Motors-Holden's) was in Europe seeking a car to build in Australia. After turning down offers from Renault, Fiat and Volkswagen he met with Gregoire who had a small prototype family car fitted with a aircooled twin cylinder engine, front wheel drive, and featuring a lot of aluminium castings. Hartnett was impressed and eventually bought the rights to the design with the intention of manufacturing the car in Australia. The story of the failure of this venture and how Australians became saddled with a rebadged Chevolet instead is a fascinating one and is well documented.
    roger
    I have the French copy of Gregoire's book and I couldn't find a reference. There is a one page note in English on the Net at
    http://www.4cv-renault.com/technique...regoireuk.html
    but I would be interested to see how it was implemented on the Traction. I photographed the rear of the car but there is nothing to see except the elegant badge.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    I have the French copy of Gregoire's book and I couldn't find a reference. There is a one page note in English on the Net at
    http://www.4cv-renault.com/technique...regoireuk.html
    but I would be interested to see how it was implemented on the Traction. I photographed the rear of the car but there is nothing to see except the elegant badge.
    Scans of the rear suspension and the 15 six attached. If anyone wants higher res scans, PM me.
    roger
    well I would have attached the files but pdf files are apparently not allowed - dumb!

Thread Information