Speed limit changes - "Mainly for Victorians" or those interested!!
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Speed limit changes - "Mainly for Victorians" or those interested!!

There have been announcements made about speed limit changes - hopefully to undo the mess where you have multiple speed changes and proliferation of speed zone signs in amongst the tangle of council signs.

Times have changed since the days when policing and councils were just interested in making sure that the peak hour traffic flowed without much interuption, and not much emphasis on speed. Almost permissable to exceed the posted limit if the traffic was flowing well.

It will be interesting to see how this works out in practice, at least it is a start, but everyone is frightened by the word speed, perhaps it's due to the unskilled drivers that have got onto our roads or just that we need to save ourselves from ourselves and the notion that people don't need to drive or walk with care.

Advertisement

Anyway, here is a link to check the Vic Roads speed changes.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...eenChanged.htm

You can move between the interactive links to see more detail of the changes and locations.

It will be interesting to see how many roads go up from 100 to 110 limits.

Ken

Ken, its an interesting move. There is regular criticism of councils and TMR up here for the constant changes of speed limit on roads that seem the same to us mere mortals that use them.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Banned

Why do the rest of Australia call Victoria the "Nanny State" I wonder? Some of the reviewers justifications for the new speed limits reads like the original legislation that made people walk in front of cars, waving a red flag, to alert idiots that there was a car coming. I think I'll reserve most of my driving for dirt roads where at least I can demonstrate, at least to myself, that I am capable of controlling my vehicle at more than 40km/h!

UFO

Some recent changes to road speed limits in Sydney seem to have traffic flowing better. Reduction in some areas from 70 or 80 to 60 or raises from 70 to 80 AND coordinated traffic signals means that blocks of traffic move more efficiently.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Some recent changes to road speed limits in Sydney seem to have traffic flowing better. Reduction in some areas from 70 or 80 to 60 or raises from 70 to 80 AND coordinated traffic signals means that blocks of traffic move more efficiently.
    They have done wonders on King Georges Rd dropping the limit from 70 to 60. Most days the traffic struggles to stay at 40. At the rate things are going, I might buy a red flag and walk. Saves on petrol as well.

John

1000+ Posts

Default Changes to Victorian legislation to allow pedelac bicycles to be used on roads.

Again for those interested, this update to Victorian Road rules has been released.

Update to the Victorian road rules - Power assisted bicycles
    The Victorian road rules have changed to enable a Pedalec to be used as a bicycle in Victoria.

The change will allow more options of power assisted pedal cycles under bicycle laws.

Rules in other Australian jurisdictions may differ. VicRoads advises that riders check with the relevant road authority before travelling interstate.

What is a Pedalec?
    A Pedalec is a type of power assisted bicycle equipped with one or more auxiliary propulsion motors.

It allows a maximum power of 250 watts, with a safeguard allowing for power assistance only when the bicycle is travelling at less that 25km/h and the rider is pedaling.

A Pedalec bicycle is a safe alternative mode of transport to a manual bicycle or passenger car. A Pedalec has power assistance that allows a bicycle rider to travel further and ride with less effort. These bicycles can be used without the need for registration, licensing or compliance with motorcycle standards and laws.

Why has the change been made?
    The primary objective of the change is to provide increased options of transport for road users. Other benefits of the change include:

- capitalising on new technology and allowing more options of power assisted pedal cycles while maintaining safety requirements

- responding to demands from the community

- encouraging more road users to cycle as a form of sustainable transport

- bringing Victoria into line with regulations of jurisdictions around the world

- better identifying Pedalec cycles with a clear plate marking. (?)
    I will try and find the last "toadpond" thread where electric bicycles were discussed and post a copy of the change.

Ken.

Banned

I find it ludicrous that cyclists and pedalec riders do not have to sit any form of interrogation to determine if they have the necessary knowledge of the traffic laws to allow them to survive without putting themselves or motorists in danger. A pedestrian crossing is for people on foot, why cyclists don't dismount as they are required to do defeats me. When faced with a red light, a cyclist will often ride up onto the footpath and then ride over the pedestrian crossing to the opposite side of the road. As well as a test for their knowledge of the road law, cyclists are obviously in need of attitude testing.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I find it ludicrous that cyclists and pedalec riders do not have to sit any form of interrogation to determine if they have the necessary knowledge of the traffic laws to allow them to survive without putting themselves or motorists in danger. A pedestrian crossing is for people on foot, why cyclists don't dismount as they are required to do defeats me. When faced with a red light, a cyclist will often ride up onto the footpath and then ride over the pedestrian crossing to the opposite side of the road. As well as a test for their knowledge of the road law, cyclists are obviously in need of attitude testing.
    Now that would be a nanny state wouldn't it?

Banned

No, it's a vitriolic crack at some idiot cyclists and those in authority.

JBN

I liked this bit - A Pedalec bicycle is a safe alternative mode of transport to a manual bicycle or passenger car. Which one? Surely not both.

Try registering a 2CV for the first time in Australia without anti-intrusion bars on (because you can't fit them in) the doors. This is a vehicle that requires a licence, CTP insurance and money thrown at the government authority to allow it on the roads.

John

Thread Information