Aussie Mums Feeling Pressure in the Playground
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Aussie Mums Feeling Pressure in the Playground

Aussie Mums feeling pressure in the playground for the car they drive

CarsGuide

New research released today shows that Aussie mums are feeling judged on the car that they drive, particularly when it comes to the school run. One in ten said it was the environment in which they felt most judged by the car they drive, making them dread the daily drop off.

From a work perspective, women are also feeling under fire from their boss on their choice of wheels, with one in five claiming they feel most judged on their car choice in a work situation. The Carsguide.com.au Free Way survey examined what causes Aussies to trade in their wheels, with insecurity and practicality topping the list.

Something that both men and women agree on is that family is the biggest critic on our car choice, with one in three saying a family gathering was the time they feel most judged on their vehicle.

Advertisement

Commenting on the results, Karla Pincott, Editor of Carsguide.com.au, said, “Women are clearly feeling judged by both family, friends and strangers on the type of car they drive and are looking to take the driver’s seat in ensuring their wheels match their lifestyle and social status. For some, the car is the new power suit when it comes to impressing those around you.

“Despite wanting to impress at the school and workplace, nearly half of all Australians still choose practicality over any other motivation to sell their car, showing we are a level headed nation when it comes to selecting a new vehicle.

“From men wanting practical ‘man vans’ for their golf clubs, to the ladies using their car to influence in the playground, we are celebrating that you can now sell your car, free - on Carsguide.com.au and we encourage anyone looking to sell their car to go online and try us today.”

The Carsguide.com.au Free Way survey also revealed:

• Gen Y are more concerned about impressing the boss (33%) with their wheels than they are a romantic partner or family
    • When deciding to sell their car for an upgrade, baby boomers are just as influenced (21%) by their friends as their Gen Y counterparts (21%) - perhaps a sign of a mid-life crisis setting in!
    • Men are more than twice (25%) as concerned about impressing their mates with the car they drive than women (12%)
    • Don’t bother paying for an expensive clean when selling your car as only 6% of buyers look for this when choosing a second hand car. A bigger concern is how it smells (14%), with smoking and pets a big turn off for prospective owners
    • Sports car owners are clearly out to impress with their wheels, with one in five saying a first date was the situation they felt most judged on the car they drive

The Carsguide.com.au Free Way survey was conducted nationally by Pure Profile in July 2012 amongst 1,257 Australians aged 18+.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

So that's why all the sh!t for brains, peroxide blonde chubby middle aged women drive 3ton tanks.... so they can feel superior. How bizarre, I couldn't give two shits what people though of the car I drive ....... I guess that shows though

Hang on ............... I care what Haakon thinks though..... He provides me with huge incentive to go buy a V8 turbo diesel land cruiser

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

And it seems (without any basis to prove it) that there are bonus points for displaying a number of stickers advertising extra-currucular sporting or cultural activities offered at the Private School attended by the children.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

I'd suggest a lot of people make poor choices of car. Why just pick on "mums"?

Kids today (and mums) are bloody spoilt..my mum never even had a licence let alone a car and I had to walk to school through paddocks of cow poo after doing the cho...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Kids today (and mums) are bloody spoilt..my mum never even had a licence let alone a car and I had to walk to school through paddocks of cow poo after doing the cho...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Whinging again!

When I was a kid, everyone walked to school. At least as far as the bus stop! These days kids don't have legs, they are carried hither and yon so that within a few generations their legs will have receded to lower limbs like snakes have and Darwin's theory of evolution will undoubtedly be proven.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    When I was a kid, everyone walked to school. At least as far as the bus stop! These days kids don't have legs, they are carried hither and yon so that within a few generations their legs will have receded to lower limbs like snakes have and Darwin's theory of evolution will undoubtedly be proven.
    ....and fingers will grow pads like green tree frogs for faster iphone conectivity...
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Icon6

G'day,
    I couldn't afford gloves during the Winter, I had to carry a sheep under each arm to keep warm.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    I couldn't afford gloves during the Winter, I had to carry a sheep under each arm to keep warm.
    Bloody dag...

1000+ Posts

G'day,
    Luxury! When I were kid, we didn't even have hands...
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

G'day,
    So many lines - so little time

Growing up we had a 1984 Renault 20 TS, a Citroen DS wagon a 70's beaten up Range Rover and a Citroen CX. I was embarassed in the 90's being dropped off in these. Looking back I was spoilt, now she has a 607 and I love any chance I get at being seen in this.

We were so poor, I had no under pants and no toys, so my mother cut holes in my pockets so I had something to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    We were so poor, I had no under pants and no toys, so my mother cut holes in my pockets so I had something to play with.

I had to cut my own holes...

What happened to the notion of gender equality? All the campaigns for women to have equal rights, and equal RESPECT, but we simply reached a peak then started rushing downhill again.

It really is a f***ed up situation.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    I had to cut my own holes...
    and it were so cold, I had naught to play with! Try telling people that nowadays ...

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Aussie Mums feeling pressure in the playground for the car they drive

CarsGuide

New research released today shows that Aussie mums are feeling judged on the car that they drive, particularly when it comes to the school run. One in ten said it was the environment in which they felt most judged by the car they drive, making them dread the daily drop off.

From a work perspective, women are also feeling under fire from their boss on their choice of wheels, with one in five claiming they feel most judged on their car choice in a work situation. The Carsguide.com.au Free Way survey examined what causes Aus

sies to trade in their wheels, with insecurity and practicality topping the list.

Something that both men and women agree on is that family is the biggest critic on our car choice, with one in three saying a family gathering was the time they feel most judged on their vehicle.

Commenting on the results, Karla Pincott, Editor of Carsguide.com.au, said, “Women are clearly feeling judged by both family, friends and strangers on the type of car they drive and are looking to take the driver’s seat in ensuring their wheels match their lifestyle and social status. For some, the car is the new power suit when it comes to impressing those around you.

“Despite wanting to impress at the school and workplace, nearly half of all Australians still choose practicality over any other motivation to sell their car, showing we are a level headed nation when it comes to selecting a new vehicle.

“From men wanting practical ‘man vans’ for their golf clubs, to the ladies using their car to influence in the playground, we are celebrating that you can now sell your car, free - on Carsguide.com.au and we encourage anyone looking to sell their car to go online and try us today.”

The Carsguide.com.au Free Way survey also revealed:

• Gen Y are more concerned about impressing the boss (33%) with their wheels than they are a romantic partner or family
    • When deciding to sell their car for an upgrade, baby boomers are just as influenced (21%) by their friends as their Gen Y counterparts (21%) - perhaps a sign of a mid-life crisis setting in!
    • Men are more than twice (25%) as concerned about impressing their mates with the car they drive than women (12%)
    • Don’t bother paying for an expensive clean when selling your car as only 6% of buyers look for this when choosing a second hand car. A bigger concern is how it smells (14%), with smoking and pets a big turn off for prospective owners
    • Sports car owners are clearly out to impress with their wheels, with one in five saying a first date was the situation they felt most judged on the car they drive

The Carsguide.com.au Free Way survey was conducted nationally by Pure Profile in July 2012 amongst 1,257 Australians aged 18+.
    Simion could you give me a link to that survey please? On itoy right now and cant seem to find it

Cheers

P
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Was this survey sponsored by Haakon or was it Alexander? (Ken wouldn't have!)
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Simion could you give me a link to that survey please? On itoy right now and cant seem to find it

Cheers

P
    I collected it from an industry website that has a password, but here is the story on CarSales own website:

Aussie Mums
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger

Would I be right in concluding that at least 25% of the car buyers are rather insecure? Some of them probably wouldn't change the type of bread they buy without first obtaining opinions via social media ...

The fact is most people will judge someone else, and most people will feel judged, just the degree varies from person to person. I'm sure if I said on this forum that handling and the smile I get driving no longer mattered to me, so I'd be selling my Clio and buying a Chery, I would definitely be judged.

That's just the way life is. I guess the real point is whether people let that judgement of others influence their decision. When I did buy the Clio I had lots of people tell me it was a poor decision, French cars are unreliable, expensive for parts, and have dodgy electrics.

Fortunately I am able to ignore them because of the smile driving the thing puts on my face each day.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    When I did buy the Clio I had lots of people tell me it was a poor decision, French cars are unreliable, ....and have dodgy electrics.
    And they were correct!!!

Apart from anything else, I worked out a long time ago that keeping up with the latest look was damn expensive, and if I wanted to enjoy my life of semi retirement, something needed to give, so I wear trackies in public and drive an old car, and let my dog follow me wherever I go, off the leash.

I dont feel sorry for the victims of playgroup fashion guilt, but I do feel sorry for the hubbies of these soccer mums, who dont earn mega-bucks and have to either support the habit by flogging themselves, or put up with the constant grief for not being able to support the habit.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I dont feel sorry for the victims of playgroup fashion guilt, but I do feel sorry for the hubbies of these soccer mums, who dont earn mega-bucks and have to either support the habit by flogging themselves, or put up with the constant grief for not being able to support the habit.

Jo
    Well said Jo. Just as yesterday's newspaper is now fish & chips wrapping, the fetish about certain brands of (usually expensive) large cars is crazy. Parents need to be there for their children - not worry about driving them to school in the latest trendy car/SUV.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post

Jo

Couldn't agree more! The fact is people have always been judged. However nowdays, people let the judgement influence their decisions so much more, and waste money. I don't think getting a new car is anywhere near as special (to the buyer, or other people) as it used to be. In 1984 when I was just starting out Primary School, our next door neighbour got a brand new Toyota Corona. Every kid, and half the parents on the street was in the driveway looking at Damian's mums new car. It truly was a special occasion. Nowdays I would expect half those parents would be plotting how they could out-do the Joneses.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information