Yet another album of the French car meeting experience
  • Help

Default Yet another album of the French car meeting experience

This weekend we went to Casteljaloux, a small town on the border of Lot et Garonne (47) and our home department of the Gironde (33). Google maps and ViaMichelin have it all.
    Browse the album of photos here
    http://www.globalfreed.com/Casteljaloux2012

Advertisement

This is an annual event so consider adding it to your holiday itinerary by following the web site of the organisers.

Our overnight stay was to the East near Aiguillon near a small village. The Chambre d'hôte is well suited to family stays, with lots of ground, pool and in house dining.

It was my first experience of jumping to avoid an electric car. Against the background of loudspeakers blaring out American country music (don't ask why) and hundreds of people talking cars the Twizy crept up in total silence.
    In the album, I have concentrated on French cars but the locals seem to prefer Yank Tanks, English quality impaired sports cars and Cold War Eastern European official transport.
    Press the "i" on the control bar to see the titles of the pictures, the arrow to see it as a slide show and the arrows to open it up to full screen. Download high res copies as you wish.
    Happy viewing...
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    This weekend we went to Casteljaloux, a small town on the border of Lot et Garonne (47) and our home department of the Gironde (33). Google maps and ViaMichelin have it all.
    Browse the album of photos here
    http://www.globalfreed.com/Casteljaloux2012

This is an annual event so consider adding it to your holiday itinerary by following the web site of the organisers.

Our overnight stay was to the East near Aiguillon near a small village. The Chambre d'hôte is well suited to family stays, with lots of ground, pool and in house dining.

It was my first experience of jumping to avoid an electric car. Against the background of loudspeakers blaring out American country music (don't ask why) and hundreds of people talking cars the Twizy crept up in total silence.
    In the album, I have concentrated on French cars but the locals seem to prefer Yank Tanks, English quality impaired sports cars and Cold War Eastern European official transport.
    Press the "i" on the control bar to see the titles of the pictures, the arrow to see it as a slide show and the arrows to open it up to full screen. Download high res copies as you wish.
    Happy viewing...
    These rhd army trucks, what are they?

A Latil. Latil were are pioneer of prime movers with a pivot for a trailer. they made some of the first artillery towing tractors and were the inspiration for the Foden 3 wheelers which appeared on the railways stations in the UK.
    This particular armoured vehicle was captured by the Germans and recovered from Eastern Germany after WWll.
    Eventually taken over by Berliet which became part of Renault.
    I see, reading http://www.avant-train-latil.com/histoire.php that they were a competitor of my father. He worked the heavy guns in position in WWl with teams of Clydesdales and Percherons, Latil supplied the first mechanical tractors to do the job.
    Last edited by gerry freed; 24th July 2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: more info

very nice, thanks, Gerry. Good to see the survivors.
    206 GTi 2003
    VW Golf 118TSI 2009 ( the wife's)
    Bedford CF 1980
    Valiant VJ Ranger 1974
    "Driving a 206GTi makes you feel like you're 18" Jeremy Clarkson

1000+ Posts

Can't work out the wheels on the red 4CV - it looks like he has a one-piece wheel that bolts on like the central spider of an early spider wheel assembly, but why would anyone do that?

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Can't work out the wheels on the red 4CV - it looks like he has a one-piece wheel that bolts on like the central spider of an early spider wheel assembly, but why would anyone do that?
    The caption I put on that photo was "Pourquoi?" - "why?" and that applies to the whole car.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    The caption I put on that photo was "Pourquoi?" - "why?" and that applies to the whole car.
    Well, I can empathise with the modified 4CV genre but would like to know what he's done with it. Pretty well the first thing I did was choose 3-studover spider wheels. The thought of much of an engine change with the original drums is disturbing. Peter

Thread Information