Vale Don Noack
  • Help

Thread: Vale Don Noack

VIP Sponsor

Default Vale Don Noack

Sadly my first ever navigator/co driver. (Don Noack ) passed away recently. Don 'kick started' my motor sport carrer. Ironically I was driving down the road, on Wednesday, when Don came to mind. I thought " gee, I haven't seen or heard of Don for sometime, I hope he's ok"... My thoughts then focused on " what if he has passed away and I was not aware" ... Then my thoughts turned to what I would have said, in the newspaper death notices, had I been aware "

Advertisement

Then, the very next day I saw Dons name in the death notices of our daily newspaper!

What an amazing co- incidence.

I've had 3x navigators, in my rally career, the first Don Noack, my optometrist, the second Lawrie Baker, my Dental surgeon, the third, and last, John Large, my pharmacist. Both Don and John have now passed away, taking their experiences of our times in rallies with them to 'rally heaven'
    When I informed Lawrie Baker, of Dons passing, his response was to recall an incident from the 1960's, when I was driving Don Noacks Renault 8, in a rally, with Lawrie Baker as navigator, Lawrie recalle that I drove the R8 so hard that the brake fluid boiled and the brake pedal went to the floor as we descended a small 'mountain' and he told me, just yesterday that he thought he was going to die then. Fortunately, Lawrie is still alive and well!

COL

Hi Rod

Thats sad news.

But looks like you had some good times together.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

You had to drive VERY hard to boil good fresh brake fluid in an 8 or 10 from experience!

Vale, Don.
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 9th July 2012 at 01:25 AM.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Although most of my friends are still alive, I have endured this sense of " I wonder where he got to, or I haven't seen them for while" and bad news! Remember your mates! I mates ancient dying father said to me before he died, that some people just live longer than others. Perfectly put, I thought.

VIP Sponsor

Had a phone call from Mary Noack tonight, she is Don's ex wife and mother of his Daughters, Amanda and Megan. She called from Albany where she is now living and we chatted for 38 minutes about various aspects of Don and my 'exploits' together. She spoke of going with Don, in the early 1960's to Lake Dumbelyung, where Don officiated as a time keeper for Sir Donald Campbell's World Water Speed Record.

She also told me how, from her home in Albany, she can hear the engines 'roaring' when the annual Mt Clarence hill climb is on and how that reminds her of our trips to Albany for the hill climbs, back in the Early 1960's when Don and I took turns in racing our Renault 750 ' Beast' up Mt Clarence.

It was a lovely surprise to hear Mary's voice after almost 40 years.

Thread Information