New compact phone book
  • Help
    WLB

Default New compact phone book

Just received our new phone book. I'd heard that they were going to reduce it in size, but it's quite ridiculous. The font is so small that you can barely read it without a magnifying glass - even when wearing reading glasses.

Advertisement

Of course there is some blurb inside the front cover expounding its virtues and how it's been improved to make it more user-friendly. I know that fewer people are probably using the phone book these days, but if you don't happen to be sitting at a computer, you still reach for the book to get a number.

They are offering free magnifying aids on request. Perhaps Telstra will follow up by reducing the size of telephones to improve our communication experience, and offer a free ear-trumpet and button-pushing stylus on request.

Might I suggest that everyone requests their free magnifying aid, whatever it is. If everyone was to ask for one, they might find it would have been better to print a book that could be read.

Phone 1800 625 944 or
    e-mail magnifier@sensis.com.au

Mine should be on its way now. I'll need one for home, and one for the office.

UFO

Better yet just unsubscribe from them altogether. Online whitepages and yellowpages are far more up to date and offer increased services.

https://www.directoryselect.com.au/ds/

Better yet, onscreen you can increase or decrease the size of text using Ctrl + or Ctrl -
    Last edited by UFO; 6th July 2012 at 12:19 PM.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

WLB

If I'm at work I just Google to get a number, but at home the book just sits by the phone and it's easier to use that. I find the White Pages online very good, but the Yellow Pages online seems to be almost invariably useless. It seems to make random guesses as to what I'm searching for, largely ignoring my search criteria.

Anyway - it's the principle. What's the point of a book that can't be read.

Now there's an idea for Fairfax and whatever that other one is called. Forget tabloid. Very 20th century. Print a pocket edition and offer free magnifying glasses.

Should be opt in these days, not opt out.

Not many people use it these days....

DS

Mine arrive on the doorstep are unwrapped from the plastic and placed in the recycle bin.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    Mine arrive on the doorstep are unwrapped from the plastic and placed in the recycle bin.
    Mine too!

In fact I tend to wait a few weeks and then throw the other 14 sets in the bin too, as the only thing my neighbours tend to use them for is to prop open the security door.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

WLB

Just because you don't use it shouldn't stop you from getting your free magnifier.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Should be opt in these days, not opt out.

Not many people use it these days....
    The opt out option allows for those of us who are tech savvy to make the choice, whilst those who perhaps do not have this tech savvy or ability (equipment etc) to make the choice.

Our new phone books arrived at our new place only days after we did, but thank goodness it is the Illawarra area and only 2 small books, not the 4 logs you get in Sydney!

I have now opted out for future books.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

When I'm on radios and a fire is running, I find in the pressure cooker/panic environment I can look up numbers while doing other things - but it's always so slow to dial and wait - and recorded messages are the pits - I just hang up. (Don't panic BUT - you've got a fire that's just about to run up your back paddock). Those little phone books are not easy to find things in a hurry.

JBN

You guys are all missing the point. The people that REALLY need them are dwarfs.

So forget the font size, the real question is - "How many books does a dwarf need to be able to reach the top shelf?"

John

VIP Sponsor

Understand exactly what you are saying. As a result of the book 'shrinkage' I have reduced my advertising 'spend' in the next edition of White Pages. What I did was weight the two books, and reduced my white pages advertising spend by exactly the same amount. This will save me $18,000 over next 12 months!

The old directories were perfect for my "step-up" exercises. Although I haven't done any for a while.

Don't knock the new directories, they keep the print workers in a job!

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Don't knock the new directories, they keep the print workers in a job!
    Not so sure about that. The new unreadable directories may drive away a large portion of the remaining hard-copy users and then they can stop printing them altogether.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    Not so sure about that. The new unreadable directories may drive away a large portion of the remaining hard-copy users and then they can stop printing them altogether.
    I guess that could even be a logical progression to forcing users on line and ceasing the print run altogether. So next years will be even harder to read or non existent. If that is the desired result they wish to achieve, unreadable printed contents is one step towards their goal.

Newspapers are reducing the actual news content it seems, to eventually force people to buy on line "premium" news services?

Now where did I put that magnifying glass and hearing aid!!

ken

Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    Unfortunately, I think this is very likely to be the motivation. The losers really are the older generation who a) don't have computers, b) don't have good eyesight, and c) their phone is a lifeline to them.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    Unfortunately, I think this is very likely to be the motivation. The losers really are the older generation who a) don't have computers, b) don't have good eyesight, and c) their phone is a lifeline to them.
    Not sure Fordman,

My Mum (now passed) probably had no more the 10 friends she regularly rang. And the numbers, as Police etc, were in her Teledex.

I think most people of advancing years would refer to their own paper copy.

Personally, I love white/yellow pages online. They can keep the printed copies.

Has anyone inquired if large print copies are available?

Maybe print challenged users can get a directory assistance service via a telephone number free?

Banned

my guess would be that the printed copies are virtually unused by anyone, anywhere, but Sensis have a strong advertising $ incentive in perpetuating the illusion that they are.

as rod noted in passing above, the advertising in these books is expensive. if the books disappear, i reckon that would be the end of Sensis, or near enough.

1000+ Posts

You all forget that fast internet services are not available over most of Australia. I can look up a phone number and finish the call by the time the computer downloads the page. I certainly couldn't do my fire safety work without it.

I still find the paper directories useful. They are easier to browse than the online version. The search alrorithms in the online version are not as good as those of a human, so online searches are somtimes less fruitful than paper ones. And they change the algorithms occasionally, so you don't always get the result you got last time. Also, only the current database is online, whereas keeping a few back copies of paper directories can provide a useful research tool.

I do use the online version, and find it handy, but I do not want to give up the paper version.

Roger

PS I don't need glasses, but I find the new small print book apalling to read. I have reverted to last year's.

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    I still find the paper directories useful. They are easier to browse than the online version. The search alrorithms in the online version are not as good as those of a human, so online searches are somtimes less fruitful than paper ones. And they change the algorithms occasionally, so you don't always get the result you got last time. Also, only the current database is online, whereas keeping a few back copies of paper directories can provide a useful research tool.

I do use the online version, and find it handy, but I do not want to give up the paper version.

Roger

PS I don't need glasses, but I find the new small print book apalling to read. I have reverted to last year's.
    Ditto Roger.
    I do need reading glasses and I still struggle to read it when wearing them.
    Don't forget to ask for your free magnifier.

One of my friends made the comment that the cost of his yellow pages add had gone up by 30%, yet the size had come down 25%, so no add for him next year...

WLB

It's worth applying for one of the magnifiers. They are quite handy for all sorts of purposes.

It's a flexible Fresnel lens inside a plastic sleeve the size of a credit card. It will easily fit in a wallet. The lens slides out but is prevented from being removed completely, so you slide it out and use the sleeve as the handle.

Thread Information