French Car Sales Analysis
  • Help

Default French Car Sales Analysis

As some of you know, I like following car industry trends, in particular sales trends. It's been great watching Peugeot surge ahead like never before, thank goodness for that, because it's been bloody depressing watching a certain Swedish marque's sales go the other way

I thought some of you would be interested in some figures from the FCAI - Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries VFACTS service. I've divided them up by segments I've created. All figures are YTD unless stated otherwise.

Superminis
    Sales King - Toyota Echo - 15650 units.

1. 206 - 1810 units
    2. Clio - 1149 units
    3. C3 - 837 units

Small Family Cars
    Sales King - Toyota Corolla - 33091 units.

1. 307 - 3595 units
    2. Scenic - 1162 units (incl. RX4)
    2. Xsara - 314 units (I have added Xsara 3 & 5 door figures together)

Medium Cars
    Sales King - Honda Accord - 5331 units.

1. C5 - 741 units
    2. Laguna - 447 units
    3. 406 - 437 units (incl. Coupe)

Convertibles
    Sales King - Holden Astra - 2372 units.

1. 206CC - 780 units
    2. Megane - 135 units
    3. 306 - 49 units

Luxury Cars
    Sales King - BMW 3 Series - 4854 units.

1. 607 - 89 cars (88 of those were Peugeot Automobiles Australia registered )

Small Vans
    Sales King - Holden Combo - 1106 units.

1. Berlingo - 285 units

To look at the relative importance (in terms of sales) of each model within the various ranges, I've computed some figures which are ordered. Unfortunately my Excel formatting doesn't work very well with the board software.

Citroen

Citroen sales have grown significantly over the past year thanks to the arrival of the C3, Citroen's first credible player in the supermini market (lets face it, few ever took the AX seriousy downunder - compare the value of the C3 vs the AX too!). C5 sales have consolidated over the past year, but Xsara sales have fallen roughly by 30%.

Citroen C3

38.4%

Citroen C5

34.0%

Citroen Berlingo

13.1%

Citroen Xsara

7.6%

Citroen Xsara Coupe

6.8%

TOTAL Citroen

100.0%

Peugeot

The 307 continues to provide the main thrust behind Peugeot's sales performance, with more than one in two Peugeots in Australia sold today being the 307. 307 sales are up 30%.

The 206 is performing well too, however sales are stagnant. YTD hatch sales are exactly the same as last year, however CC sales are up 10 cars on 2002.

406 sales are down about 10%, however Coupe sales are up 25% (albeit from a small base).

Amazingly, 607 sales are up 57%. Then again, 20 cars were registered for the Rugby World Cup...

Peugeot 307

53.2%

Peugeot 206

26.8%

Peugeot 206 Convertible

11.5%

Peugeot 406

5.8%

Peugeot 607

1.3%

Peugeot 306 Convertible

0.7%

Peugeot 406 Coupe

0.7%

TOTAL Peugeot

100.0%

Renault

Renault's figures are plain bad news all round. Megane is down 61%, Clio is down 27%, overall Scenic sales are down 34% (exclude the RX4, then this improves to a fall of 17%) and Laguna is down 23%. A disappointing result.

One of the excuses I heard from the dealer went like this. When Renault returned to Australia, we had a database of everyone interested in Renaults. In the first year, everyone who was interested bought one. Now that all those people bought Renaults last year, we don't have as many customers left who are willing to buy them

It's not hard to understand why dealers can't wait for the Megane!

Renault Clio

39.7%

Renault Scenic

31.0%

Renault Laguna

15.5%

Renault Scenic 4X4

9.2%

Renault Megane

4.7%

TOTAL Renault

100.0%

In terms of sales growth of each brand, here are the top three growing brands.

1. Honda - Up 80% (Jazz, Accord & CRV have done extremely well)
    2. Citroen - Up 69% (chiefly due to the C3, C5's grown by about 8%)
    3. Mazda - Up 68% (now Australia's largest importer of cars, you can thank the Mazda 6 for that, almost 12k of them sold with almost 20k of the 323).

Here are the top three shrinking brands.

1. Volvo - Down 40%
    2. Proton - Down 28% (I guess not as many thought the Waja was Asia's answer to BMW )
    3. Renault - Down 24% (I'm certain this will shoot up next year, it has to with the Megane arriving in what is ought to be Renault's bread and butter segment).

Peugeot's forecasting around 8500 sales for 2004, they should finish around 7500 cars for the year. Bear in mind that last year they grew by 92% over the previous year, so we're dealing with a fairly high base. I can tell you there are going to be more Peugeot dealers popping up in places, especially in regional areas.

If anyone's interested in 307 sales figures, here's a breakdown that I've compiled by model (I currently only have detailed figures for the 307).

Model

Units

XS 1.6

37%

XS HDi

12%

XSE 2.0

42%

XSi 2.0

3%

Touring XS HDi

1%

Touring XSE 2.0

5%

Total

100%

Interesting to see the 2.0 XSE actually outsells the 1.6 XS, most people I know have the 1.6 and most cars I see here are the 1.6. The XSi's performance isn't surprising, given it's the same price as the XSE Touring and you sure do get more car for your dollar with the estate variant. Bear in mind the Touring XSE's values are inflated by the cars registered for the Rugby World Cup.

Hope you found this interesting.

Advertisement

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

volvos down 40%
    their add campaign must be doing wonders then
    now who wants to be a bloody volvo driver eh ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    volvos down 40%
    Not quite that simple though - last month is the first month in 2003 that has higher sales than the same month in 2002. Volvo's sales have been depressed for the whole of 2003 and the campaign only began in the last quarter. Below are the sales figures for the relevant months - Phase I of the campaign began in the early part of September.

SEP: 214
    OCT: 201
    NOV: 309 (actually up 50 cars on NOV02).

Main models that have collapsed are the S/V40. To some degree, perhaps this is a hidden blessing as it means they have better stock before the new model arrives. With just under 300 S40s left in the country, based on current trends, they're still going to run out of cars around two months before the New S40 arrives next year. That car should sell well, the current S40 is hardly the most impressive car out there - I wouldn't buy one, I'd just save up more and get an S60.

Worldwide they're doing fine, the jewel in Ford's PAG crown. The only PAG unit that makes good money. Sales are up over 24,000 units this year in the US, passing 123,000. Even Saab's doing better - they've passed 40,000 units in the US for the first time since 1987 thanks to the 9-3.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i found a good use for a volvo the other day
    the rest of it still lays in it's final resting place
    the main bits that are of any use have been or are in the process of bieng dispersed
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    volvos down 40%
    It's not just that - the exciting volvos are DAMN expensive .... give me something as fun as a $29,990 206GTi in a Volvo for less then $40K.

Different markets.

- XTC206 -

Sorry I HAD to put the banana in at least once
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307

Small Vans
    Sales King - Holden Combo - 1106 units.

1. Berlingo - 285 units

Hope you found this interesting.
    Yeah I'll say. How on earth such a shitbox like the Combo can outsell the excellent Berlingo by as much as 4 to 1 is beyond me.

And how can the Echo outsell the fantastic Clio by a whopping 14 to 1? I don't get it.

What chance has the Megane II (European Car of the Year) got? They may as well just hang a kick me sign on that protruding ass right now. It's a shame cos that's what'll happen.

Icon2

the answer is blanket advertising. We need to smother magazines tv channels with french car advertisments graham.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    the answer is blanket advertising. We need to smother magazines tv channels with french car advertisments graham.
    Renault tried that look at their sales figures. I can't think of the last time I saw a Pug or Citroen ad on the teev. Last one I remember was one of the Brabhams pushing a 306 around a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by graham66
    Yeah I'll say. How on earth such a shitbox like the Combo can outsell the excellent Berlingo by as much as 4 to 1 is beyond me.
    Because shes a 'olden, mate! Want a reliable real car, get a holden, not one of those poofy french things!

And how can the Echo outsell the fantastic Clio by a whopping 14 to 1? I don't get it.
    Because its cheaper, and in this segment a driveaway deal, a cd player and some marketing gimick is what sells cars (to silly young people where style is more important than substance, though why an Echo is considered cooler than a Clio is beyond me)
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Because shes a 'olden, mate! Want a reliable real car, get a holden, not one of those poofy french things!

Because its cheaper, and in this segment a driveaway deal, a cd player and some marketing gimick is what sells cars (to silly young people where style is more important than substance, though why an Echo is considered cooler than a Clio is beyond me)
    I'm not so sure an Echo equipped the same as a clio is still cheaper, Toyota are legendary for their list of expensive options.....

The Echo sells well because it is well packaged (interior space vs exterior...lots of bins etc), well built, reliable, very fuel efficient and most of all, well marketed....it does however drive like a small minivan (totally uninspiring) and has so much grey plastic you worry that the car may melt in the sun.
    Toyota have mastered the art of making and selling "white good" transport.

By comparison the Clio feels like an 80's small car design built in the late 90's it does drive well, go well etc........though as strange as it may seem, some people think it looks like crap

I'm happy to help Renault sell a Clio Sport. Just need the finances to help me along.
    '99 306 XSi Black Metallic

I don't know much about the small vans, but the Berlingo seemed to have a good reception by the local press when it arrived. I think it's pretty obvious why the Combo outsells it - it has that 'other lion' badge I'm sure a tradey would prefer to have a 'olden badge on the front rather them one of dem bluddy Sitrone thingos

Berlingo sales are down 30% this year.

Cheaper starting list price is one, and the girls will tell me "Ooh, but it's so cute"

The Echo is the absolute sales king in this segment - last month, over 1 in 4 superminis sold was an Echo. The Hyundai Getz was second with 10081 cars, or over 5000 cars less. The Holden Barina only sold 4578 units - more VW Golfs are sold than Barinas, believe it or not.

Now whilst Toyota is somewhat infamous for having lots of various extras, etc, in reality that all means nothing. The deals you can get at Toyota dealers are damn fantastic. I look at a Toyota RRP price and just take that as driveaway with a few goodies thrown in for extra - they discount like mad. If you pay full list price, like paying full list price on a 607 - that's a poor effort

The engine in the Echo is pretty good. One thing you have to remember is that the rest of the driving population has different priorities, and the market at that end of the market is very value conscious. Don't get me wrong, the Clio is probably the best value Froggy supermini (certainly in the Expression - $19,990 car) in terms of all the fruit you get (and damn competitive with other offerings), but you do pay a little more for it than something like a Echo or Getz. You get more too - but some in that market don't have the ability to stretch.

We might criticise a car's steering for being too light. Another buyer might see that as being 'easy to drive'. The way most people drive, it's quite possible that they never experience understeer or oversteer. Not everyone is as driving orientated as us - some just want an easy car to drive that's easy on the pocket. There's nothing wrong with that - it's just a different view to us.

As DTwo says, some people find the Clio's looks a little funny. It did take me some time to get over the funny face (I almost bought one). Having said that, I wouldn't buy an Echo and the Echo sedan would up in the running for the "Australia's Top 10 Ugly Cars" award

What chance has the Megane II (European Car of the Year) got? They may as well just hang a kick me sign on that protruding ass right now. It's a shame cos that's what'll happen.
    Renault's hoping for 150 units a month, or 1800 cars a year. At the moment Clio is moving just over 100 units a month.

As I mentioned on an earlier post, Peugeot isn't too worried about the Megane in Australia. Its European Car of the Year is selling damn well - more 307s are being sold downunder than the entire Peugeot range before the 307 was launched. I spoke to a rep and he said the Megane is good, good value, but its styling won't make things easy for them at all. They're much more concerned about the VW Golf V. Even the VW Golf IV is still selling like hotcakes - 5379 units. VW's throwing a lot of sales promotion about at the moment though.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Advertising does not equal sales. I've lost count of how many bloody Renault 'We create cars' ads I used to see on TV - hopeless direct return on advertising investment, but bear in mind the brand had a very patchy history in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Renault tried that look at their sales figures. I can't think of the last time I saw a Pug or Citroen ad on the teev. Last one I remember was one of the Brabhams pushing a 306 around a corner.
    Aside from Sculpteur, I haven't seen a Peugeot ad for a while (I've been told they advertise on Pay TV), but I did see a Citroen C5 ad on the flight to PER a few months back. Remember they also had all those Claudia Schiffer Xsara ads on the TV too.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    Thanks Justin interesting info. Does anyone have any ideas what effect this all has on used car prices? I read that 307's had good resale value.
    If a model is popular new does that mean its likely to be more expensive secondhand?
    Generally that is the case, but there are other factors, such as when a new model is launched, it tends to depress prices of the previous model somewhat. On its own, holding everything else constant, a popular new model should filter down to better resale values. Lets look at a few figures out of the back of Wheels.

307's have class leading resale value - 67% of RRP after 3 years (2.0 & HDi) / 66% (1.6). That's better than the VW Golf which is down to 63% (62% for the GTi).

One strange thing has been 406 prices. The 406 has never been hugely popular (sold in moderate numbers), but it's always claimed to have class leading resale (66-67%) according to Wheels. Frankly, if you look at the prices that 406s are going for in The Age each Saturday, that's a load of crap. I don't know how Redbook worked the 406 figures out.

Has the price of secondhand Volvo's gone down with the drop in their popularity?
    I think if you look at a long term trend (ie. a decade or so), then I would say yes. For a long time Volvo had pretty good resale value here because of customer loyalty. To some degree the drop in resale values has been alleviated by decreased supply of used cars - there are fewer used Volvos out there (now that Volvo sales are well down on their 7000+ units back in the 70s) - the used car section in the Saturday Age for Volvo is much, much smaller than it was in the early 90s.

I've noticed resale values of our boxy S70 (what did they say in the film Crazy People, "They're boxy, but they're good ) fell with the introduction of all the new rounded Volvos. That seemed to have more of an effect than the 40% drop in sales this year (there don't to be any immediate effects so far). If you look at the prices of second hand (but current model rounded) S60, V70 & XC70 Cross Country Volvos, they're still holding value fairly well.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thanks Justin. I'm intrigued with the 307 resale value being marginally higher than the Golf. In my view reliability would be a strong factor in choosing a used car. The Golf has been around for donk and most people would perceive it as being reliable (their ads are based around this).
    Absolutely, I think that's why Toyota has traditionally done very well with resale.

There has been high demand for 307s. Customers were on waiting lists for pretty much most of 2002, supply has improved somewhat this year. Golf resale was at 307 levels, but I believe it has sunk because of supply and the fact it is now quite a few years old. The 307 is still fairly fresh on the market.

307s aren't as reliable as Golfs, and a lot of people I know with Golfs, bought Golfs because of reliability. The Golf IV is basically Germany's answer to the Toyota Corolla - it's definately the only Euro in this segment that need not shy away in the quality/reliability department (although I have heard some Golf sagas, overall they are a well built car). Both cars also have very strong followings.

I gather VW and Peugeot have the same warranty periods?
    VW has a 3 year / 100,000km warranty.
    Peugeot has a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Interesting fact - Peugeot is one of only three car manufacturers in Australia that still has a 2 year warranty. The other two are Porsche & BMW. I'll give a little hint - this warranty will be increasing in the future A few Peugeot reps have been downunder recently

So Peugeot's done a great job with the 307, a new model that hasn't been around long in numbers. People may not link a 307 with a 306 (or 504 for that matter) but see the latest Golf model as an evolution of the last model if you know what I mean.
    Probably. I think the 307 has brought a lot of people into the Peugeot brand downunder, people who have never had Peugeots before - just look at the number being sold. These people probably wouldn't know much about 306s or 504s.

Having said that, there are still plenty of 'Peugeot people' moving into 307s, whether they be from old or new Pugs. Latest 307 in the PCCV was bought to replace a 206 GTi believe it or not. Out of all the new models, there are more 307s in the club carpark than any other model.

When you look at the value in the car, why not. It's competitive with the local and Japanese offerings, even better value than the Corolla (when you spec up a Corolla to 307 standards).

Maybe the 307 is just the right model at the right time. or the public has a high opinion of Peugeot but not had a model they were happy to buy for some time.
    Perhaps - a lot of the public probably didn't have strong awareness about Peugeot though. I think the 307 has improved awareness of Peugeot. The 206 has aswell, being available at a lower price point. These are Peugeots which many people are considering for the first time.

I think a lot of the appeal of the 307 is the fact you can now get into a European car at an affordable price point, and you get a car with more fruit onboard than the traditional local or Japanese cars people would normally have shopped for. The car has plenty of space - it's a car that has a lot of appeal in the market. When it comes to features - what other features would you want? The only option I can think of that isn't standard on the base XS 1.6 car is cruise control (standard on every other model). At $300, just get the dealer to throw it in for free anyway.

Anyway it looks like we're going to have to wait longer for them to drop their price secondhand.
    Owners aren't complaining

PS I guess you read the articles where some current Volvo drivers were turned off by the Bloody Volvo Driver ads. Seems they were oblivious to the reputation until now.
    Cheers
    Some of us don't care about the reputation

I think the problem is they can't get people in Australia to aspire to them now (now that they've moved upscale since the 70s/80s) and perhaps the image plays some role in that too (because they're doing well elsewhere). When we get new loan cars from the dealer, everytime we bring a 'new Volvo virgin' into the car they're often very surprised. You get the comments, "Oooh, I didn't know Volvos were this fast", "Oooh, I didn't know they're stylish these days", "Ooh, I didn't know cars could have such great audio", "Oooh, I've never quite experienced seats like these". The Cross Country we had was described like "a lounge room on wheels". Everyone knows the cars are safe, but not much else. People think the cars are slow - that's a load of crap, the slowest Volvo sold here is still faster than the slowest BMW, Mercedes, Audi or VW on the market downunder.

The gap between the Swedes and the Germans has closed significantly over the past decade. Some of these things are things you just need to experience, things you can't get from an ad. But if you can't get people in the dealers to try the things, you're stuffed.

In a certain sense, the image has its good parts too. You can pull up to other souped up things in your modest Volvo, pump up the stereo with some classical music against their doof doof (just to rub it in, whilst I'm not a classical music person (can't sing to it ), their reaction is great. Next time I'll have to bring a hat), floor it when the lights go green and watch their hearts sink and egos burst, when this bloody Volvo from hell beats them from the life

It's even better when you do it in a station wagon

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Phew you probably type as fast as you drive that estate.
    It's the natural keyboard I use - if you touch type, it makes it extremely quick.

I thought it was great when Volvo was going to enter estates in the Touring Car Championship.
    They're contemplating a possible return to motorsport downunder - it's very expensive though. GTP would be cheaper than the old Super Tourers though.

Don't Volvo throw in a hat with every Volvo purchased or is that the next phase of the BVD campaign?
    Might have to suggest that one

307's actually well set up for driving with a hat on - there's so much headroom up there, I often joke about being able to wear one of those big Mexican hats

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Hey Justin, I just had a close look at your new avatar!!

Very sly!

John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Great result for Citroen. When I was selling them they were doing 300 or so, just a few years ago. Good stuff.Well done Miles.

Thread Information