Idle Stepper Motor
  • Help

Icon5 Idle Stepper Motor

My Idle Stepper Motor is making strange electrical noises and I'm having trouble with the idle on the car.
    Peugeot are asking $300 for a new unit - a Magneti Marelli unit. My original one is a Phillips.
    I've tried Dapco, Auto France and even Repco with no luck. Does anyone know where else I could try to buy this part?

Arthur

Advertisement

What kind of strange electrical noises?
    Any probs we've ever had have been cured by removing, clearing out, spraying/lubing with an anti-seize (penetrine or similar not WD type crap) and moving it to free it up & we've all lived happily ever after.

Give that a go before they give you ulcers worrying about something that could be minor. One type of electrical noise may come from the plug either shorting or not plugged in properly.
    Modern systems are extremely troublefree but don't try to get your local friendly repairer to admit to that.

Alan S

Alan,

It's a loud 'buzzing' noise.

I've removed it and had a look. It look fairly clean.

It appears to be a motor driving a tapered shaft. There is a plastic sleeve on the shaft that can be pushed down. What should I look for? Is the shaft supposed to freely rotate by hand when the motor is not driving it? Or is it meant to move in and out? I can't push the shaft in or out by hand and it only rotates a minute amount.

Arthur

It's only supposed to rotate a bit, but if it's a bit tight down there, it may be causing the actual motor to "pole" which could be what the noise is you're hearing.
    I'd be inclined to give it a flush through with WD and follow that by spraying a bit of Penetrene or even light oil in & make sure it's as smoothe as silk and feather light to rotate.

Alan S

Thanks Alan.
    I'll try it on the weekend.
    Where can I buy this stuff from? Repco?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur
    Thanks Alan.
    I'll try it on the weekend.
    Where can I buy this stuff from? Repco?
    Yeah mate, I usually get mine from Repco about this time every year as they usually have a Xmas special of an aerosol can as well as a plastic bottle for $8 for the two.
    It's good stuff in that it is a good penetrant (hence the name) and is also a lube which WD & RP7 aren't
    Also, I am at a bit of a loss on this plastic sleeve you talk of. I've got one out of a car at present & took it out in the sun with both hoses off I still couldn't find that sleeve. Might be worth seeing if it is in fact something dislodged. I was looking at the electrical end & reckon if you were real careful the plastic end where the power plugs in could be removed as it is only straked into position; you can see the portions where it jas been burred over to hold it in.
    If it appeared that it could be a terminal problem, I would say it could poddibly be fixed & I'd be surprised if there wasn't companies around doing it. If not, then if it's for the high jump, I'd grind the end out & see what made it tick. After all, by that stage you'd have nothing to lose.

Alan S

Either the design has changed, or I'm looking at the wrong thing.

It's a 1997 1.8litre, 8 valve 306.

The device sits on top of the intake manifold, has a plug connection with 4 wires going to it. These can easily be unplugged from the unit. The unit is attached with two torx screws. The two 20-25mm hoses connect to the manifold underneath the unit, so they don't connect directly to the motor assembly.

Once removed, it appears to be a cylindrycal motor in a plastic housing with a shaft, which is tapered at the end. There is a spring loaded sleeve on the shaft which stops short of the end of the shaft, just before it starts to taper.
    Are we talking about the same unit?

Arthur

Same girl different skirt; pric=nciple's still the same and I still have the opinion that a tightness will cause the poling basically the same as a spin solenoid or suds save solenoid on an auto washer does. If you've ever heard one of those you'd relate to the noise.
    Mine is made of alloy whereas yours has all this plastic in the guts, so instead of the penetrene, I'd try "Silicone release spray" which is a common product at SuperCheap, Autobarn or REpco & give it a douse in that; still the cheapest option.

Alan S

Thread Information