public interest
  • Help

Thread: public interest

mud
    Fellow Frogger!

Default public interest

hi

how many of you get comments/interest from the general public about your car?

my ordinary old 504 has attracted both negative and positive comments from complete strangers in carparks and at red lights

the most recent an older gentleman was waiting at my car for me to return just to say how fantastic it was to see a 504, apparently he owned one brand new in the 70's, which made me jealous.

Advertisement

on the negative side its been called a poogeot, piece of crap etc and ive been called gay for driving a "girls car"...lol

i guess ya just have to take the good with the bad!

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    hi

my ordinary old 504 has attracted both negative and positive comments from complete strangers in carparks and at red lights

the most recent an older gentleman was waiting at my car for me to return just to say how fantastic it was to see a 504, apparently he owned one brand new in the 70's, which made me jealous.

on the negative side its been called a poogeot, piece of crap etc and ive been called gay for driving a "girls car"...lol

Just be glad you don't drive a Citroen!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

I drove a my old 504 around with an urban camoflague paint job for many years. I just thought that I was awesome.

I am sure that everyone else is just jealous of your cool car

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    hi

When you drive a DSyou get this with every trip, and it is a 'trip' for the mortals who gawp with delight when they see one swan past.
    But hey its not problem. Im happy to talk about the car. its never been called a girls car, but "old mans car" several times - I dont understand that one at all. ....and someones Father, Uncle, Aunt, Rich Relative or school teacher always drove one.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

My yellow Fuego was parked in the main street of Penriff (or 'The Riff' as the locals now call it) and as I got back and got into my car, an elderly gentleman hobbled across the road signaling me to stay where I was.
    Puzzled, I waited to see what he wanted, out of his manbag he grabs a camera, but it seemed he couldn't frame the pic right so he hobbled back into the middle of the road, holding up all the traffic so he could get his perfect pic. When he was satisfied he gave me the thumbs up and I got out of there quick, embarrassed by the commotion we had caused!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

JBN

My 2CV 'Daffy Duck' provokes howls of laughter from cars full of young blokes and plenty of thumbs up signals. I think they think that anyone who has the balls to drive something so weird in public needs some sympathy. They obviously use their balls for other activities rather than draw attention to themselves by driving ridiculous looking cars, however "cool" they may be in the eyes of the demented.

Women, on the otherhand, respond very favourably and many will make a remark such as "I like your car" or "Your car is cute". Again I tend to think that they figure anyone who has the balls to be seen in public with a car like that is probably no threat to them.

The best are middle aged women who read the sign on the boot. What does "Far Canard mean?" before bursting out in laughter when they hear it aurally.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails public interest-daffy-010.jpg  

1000+ Posts

I've found a disproportionate number of old ladies comment on the 203. Looks like it's a babe magnet for over 70's
    Then I get these old blokes who ask me with monotonous repetition if I've had it from new. Usually their dad or uncle had one as well. I tell 'em I'm not that old[I look a bit younger than them I woulda thunk]. They seem vaguely interested when I tell 'em I did it up.
    When I point out it was made in the year of my birth they say 'well you might have inherited it'.
    Younger generations tend to not even see it or just burst out laughing if they do.
    Lucky I don't drive it for reasons of being noticed isn't it? In fact I think the one who is most impressed is me. It's so great to drive.

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

I was driving around Albury once in dads 306 cab (not kermit) through an "interesting" suburb. Some young kids started mouthing off that I must be gay for driving such a gay car Blah blah blah. I retorted with "that's not what your mum told me last night". Let's just say that when they stopped mouthing off and thought about what I had said, I was a little out of their orange juice carton throwing range.
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Quote Originally Posted by The OP
    ive been called gay for driving a "girls car"...
    Imagine if you were gay and someone accused you of driving a breeder's car.

I always get at least one comment whenever I pull out of the driveway in the ID. I like seeing people's jaw drop as they get an eyeful of my tail-lights as I zip past them on the highway which is what my car absolutely likes.

It comes as no surprise as some days when I'm out, my car's the only one around me without plastic bumpers.

Peugeot drivers young and old ignore me on the road. I stopped waving years ago
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

If you really want to be called gay often. Drive a citroen. this happens all the time. mine gets refered as a shitron by every auto lec and mechanic that I know.
    However with my Traction i do get a lot of women comment on it. They usually tell me that their father had one and they'd love me to take them for a spin in it. I don't of course because I'm married and they are usually over 60 helps too!!!!

1000+ Posts

203 gets a lot of attention in recent years, and turns heads in country streets. I get the same question (had it since new) and waves from other car enthusiasts - but never from modern Peugeots whose owners either don't know what is is or couldn't care. Older people come up and talk about it, often owners of French cars in the past (Chenard, Amilcar).
    Last edited by Russell Hall; 29th June 2012 at 02:04 PM.

Banned

i have constant positive conversations about my lotus europa, with a full range of people older ladies, to revheads. interestingly, very young children including girls, are very aware of it. they are forever tugging at mum's hand and pointing at it. it isnt really particularly attractive, but i think they are all (particularly the children) drawn in by its tininess. there is also a distinct group of men - all roughly my age (50) - who say 'i have a matchbox of model of that when i was 10'. which is exactly the way it was for me!

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by tractionfan View Post
    If you really want to be called gay often. Drive a citroen. this happens all the time. mine gets refered as a shitron by every auto lec and mechanic that I know.
    However with my Traction i do get a lot of women comment on it. They usually tell me that their father had one and they'd love me to take them for a spin in it. I don't of course because I'm married and they are usually over 60 helps too!!!!
    Remember that those 60 series women were the original flower power girls. OK, some may have lost their petals, but the flower power blokes have fared worse with bent and withered stalks.

John

Mine gets interest. Off to regency again... Next week.

This time please!!!!!!

Thread Information