HELP!!!!!! Save the Grand Display of French Cars.
  • Help

Default HELP!!!!!! Save the Grand Display of French Cars.

Please read ALL of my post guys n gals.

The help of all available A/F members and their cars is required this year at the Grand Display to keep it afloat and make it viable for 2013 and beyond!

Numbers are down, this is due to many things, one of those being the location of the current venue, Brookefiled Showgrounds.

Whilst I am sure 100% of us agree, it is a lovely spot for a day out with your car/s and to meet up with those folk we all see just once a year. The passing public just aren't there at the ground for a good walk in random crowd.

An inner suburban location, or one on the close coasts, say the Goldie could be of greater benefit to the longevity of the Grand Display.

This is in no way a pure money grab by the Tri-Club{GDOFC organisers} or the RCCQ associated members. I know, the Tri-club are not in this to just make money, far from it. There needs to be some profit to cover the next year's event incidentals before the monies come in from gate takings and car nominations on that day.

A few members of the RCCQ committee got together over the weekend to discuss this very issue. I am not scaremongering or playing Chicken Little on this at all, it's a very serious issue in our eyes.

The Tri-Club committee and some of our members particularly have been discussing this for a little while now.

One point brought up(by HKP ) was that I feel we may need to 'open' the Tri-club membership to all interested parties.

The Tri-club is not as such a club but rather has the sole function to organize each year's event.

Currently, the Tri-club is made up of reps from each of the involved clubs. {2 from each}

Every year, on AF, I have seen one or more threads with interest in the display.

This is why I feel, maybe it is time for a wider net to be cast for people to run the day. It wouldn't need to be all new people as that would be silly as nobody would have any idea what to do.
    Just a few A/F members from around Brisbane, or close by, could step up to be part of this.
    One thing to keep in mind is you don't need to be financial in any of the clubs to be part of the Tri-club committee ], all you need is your interest and passion for French cars.

Advertisement

The second point I was suggested to bring up was a possible venue suggestions for next years Grand Display?

Stipulations should be, somewhere that people are likely to be going past or have as a final destination for their Sunday drive/picnic etc so we have a relative captive audience.

Thanks for reading and here's hoping we, as the A/F community in Qld or Australia as awhole can all somehow be part of keeping this great Queensland French Car iconic event alive.

Sincerely HKP, on behalf of the RCCQ and Tri-club committee(by proxy)
    Last edited by HONG KONG PUGGY; 25th June 2012 at 10:34 PM.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Icon3

Hi Chris,
    Many lookers but not too many replies...

As you know I do a little bit of voluntary work around the edges of this event, but have not looked at further involvement. Too late for this year but I might put my hand up for 2013.

With regard to the venue, do we know why UQ was dropped? It was a good central location with a good passing trade i.e. people that would support the various vendors etc. on-site and make their contribution more viable.

If you are inviting comments that might be taken on board, my family whilst supporting me in my French car interest have suggested that the event needs more for those that only have a passing interest in the cars.

A more family friendly day with perhaps entertainment (bring back the Can Can girls ), perhaps even with an educational content - Mrs GB has been fascinated with stories told by Jim Reddiex etc. Perhaps selected cars could do a passing parade with informed commentary over the PA, the event has always been static?. Can we involve someone like Sirromet and have wine and cheese tasting, and crazy as it may sound something for the kids, face painting, cripes even a jumping castle

If the event is then well publicised it should attract a bigger crowd to justify the cost, those that are there for the cars will be well occupied (larger attendance of French cars) without the distraction of family that really only came along to support. A French car festival rather than just cars lined up as in a Coles carpark?

I don't mean to sound critical, I've always had a ball at the events that have been staged in the past, and have had to be dragged away kicking and screaming - and that's the point I guess, if the event can offer more for family we may all stay longer, spend more and the event lives on.

We'll no doubt catch up at Brookfield so can chat further

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

DS

I regularly go to the Sydney AFCD and note that almost ALL the planning, set-up and running of the day is done by a keen group of Peugeot CC members.
    That event is held out in the suburbs and is generally well attended.

There is per car gate fee which I think is an excellent idea and that goes towards costs (hopefully it covers costs). Do you do a gate fee up there?

What is considered low attendance up there? I'm guestimating around 100+ cars come to Sydneys event.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    I regularly go to the Sydney AFCD and note that almost ALL the planning, set-up and running of the day is done by a keen group of Peugeot CC members.
    That event is held out in the suburbs and is generally well attended.

There is per car gate fee which I think is an excellent idea and that goes towards costs (hopefully it covers costs). Do you do a gate fee up there?

What is considered low attendance up there? I'm guestimating around 100+ cars come to Sydneys event.
    We have a $10.00 fee for entrants, these are the cars that qualify for the various prizes/awards, "you gotta be in it to win it". Persons entering the site are asked for a gold coin donation.

In the past at the University of Queensland we have had around 200 cars on display, from what I understand numbers (both cars and people) have declined now that the event has moved out to Brookfield, and that the event struggles to break even with a lesser overhead.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

1000+ Posts

All good points there Chris. Yes, it is true it probably needs a revamp. I was talking to one fella the other day and asked was he going and the reply was" no, its the same every year" [sad but true IMHO ]

Here are just 3 suggestions i can think of at the mo....i hope they help in some little way.

1. Suggest having a spare parts jumble sale. All Froggies usually have something tucked away that would be handy to another Froggie owner. Also think about having a blackboard stand so people can pin up the Frog cars they have for sale/want.
    I feel the content would be different each year thus creating some "need to go/dont miss out factor"

2. Venue: Is it worth actually asking Sirromet if they would take on a" French Food and wine Day" as they have some large spaces perfect for 200 cars. France and wine are synonomous!!
    Have some 2cv's up near the restaurant on the day to coerce peeps down to the car area. Can can girls would be a huge hit there. Prizes for best French costume for the day also is a thought....no need to own a Frog car....would be a separate comp to enhance the day.
    If you have been to a Day on the Green there you will know what a great venue it would be for FCD.

3. Maybe get the Dealers to contribute more....not just $$ but to promoting the FCD from their Dealerships before the event.. a win/win for FCD/Sirromet and Dealers if it came off.
    PS: I know local papers are hungry for local content on events like these....there is a certain way of achieving it though which having worked for them know how they operate.

Cheers
    JR
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

I'm one of the Tri-Club Committee members - so here's a few answers to the questions and comments above.

First of all, like everyone our costs are going up. Hopefully the reports of the demise of GFoFC is highly exaggerated - but in saying this there is no longer any room for the event to make a loss - like it has for the past couple of years.

The reason for the move to the Brookfield Showgrounds was purely financial. The Uni cost too much and there were restrictions on what we could do ourselves vs pay people to do (which isn't a criticism, its just the way it is in todays litigious society). The Brookfield Showgrounds is actually closer to the City (according to Google Maps) than the Mt Gravatt Showgrounds. The Mt Gravatt Showgrounds hire charge for their main arena (assuming it is available) is 8 times the cost of the Brookfield Showgrounds. Another recent issue is the closeness of RACQ Motorfest - we were in the space first but they have the advertising muscle.

Unfortunately the Can Can Girls cost money as well, however I take Chris' point about jumping castles etc. For a number of years we have tried pretty well every promotional tool that we could afford ($45k spots on Brisbane TV stations are somewhat outside our league!). I also like the idea about talking to Sirromet Wines. For the record, every French Car Dealer in South East Queensland is contacted every year about support/sponsorship - support those that support us - PLEASE. We'll be looking at these and other suggestions for GFoFC's 2013. If you work for Sime Darby, VDA or Ateco and want to help, please PM me - we"ld love to talk to you.

Attendance last year was just under 150 cars - it did used to be lot closer to 200 at the Uni. The GFoFC's is going ahead in 2012, don't leave your French car in the car park - come and display it. See you there and keep the suggestions coming.
    Last edited by 2353; 27th June 2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Fact checking
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by jr20516v View Post
    All good points there Chris. Yes, it is true it probably needs a revamp. I was talking to one fella the other day and asked was he going and the reply was" no, its the same every year" [sad but true IMHO ]

Here are just 3 suggestions i can think of at the mo....i hope they help in some little way.

1. Suggest having a spare parts jumble sale. All Froggies usually have something tucked away that would be handy to another Froggie owner. Also think about having a blackboard stand so people can pin up the Frog cars they have for sale/want.
    I feel the content would be different each year thus creating some "need to go/dont miss out factor"

2. Venue: Is it worth actually asking Sirromet if they would take on a" French Food and wine Day" as they have some large spaces perfect for 200 cars. France and wine are synonomous!!
    Have some 2cv's up near the restaurant on the day to coerce peeps down to the car area. Can can girls would be a huge hit there. Prizes for best French costume for the day also is a thought....no need to own a Frog car....would be a separate comp to enhance the day.
    If you have been to a Day on the Green there you will know what a great venue it would be for FCD.

3. Maybe get the Dealers to contribute more....not just $$ but to promoting the FCD from their Dealerships before the event.. a win/win for FCD/Sirromet and Dealers if it came off.
    PS: I know local papers are hungry for local content on events like these....there is a certain way of achieving it though which having worked for them know how they operate.

Cheers
    JR
    JR,
    I hope the Tri Club Committee read your reply and take note, three really good strong suggestions. I agree Sirromet would make a superb location and definitely a win win situation. The jumble sale also gets my vote - we've all got bits and pieces that may be of value to others but are clutter to us, and would add another dimension to the event.

Given the circumstances, anyone who is in two minds as to attending this years event, please make the effort. These events are run voluntarily and I have seen second hand the amount of time and work that goes into getting things organised for the day. If it is not supported we may lose it...

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

I'd write a long reply but this keeps timing out. Remember that the 3 car clubs wear any cost of this event, before you start expecting an extravaganza. I doubt Sirromet is cheap.
    The organisers of a French Citroen event were bankrupted, from what I heard, a couple of years ago, when the weather turned bad. GDoFC has always had a wet weather alternative venue problem and I remember two years at least of poor attendance due to weather. RACQ had to cancel (2 years ago?) due to wet weather affecting access to their ground, and refunded prepaid entry money. Imagine what this would do to the car clubs' finances if they had to pay fees and refund. I know it's worst case scenario, but it can and does happen. What does Sirromet have in the way of undercover car area? Nothing that I can think of.
    I agree that Brookfield isn't perfect, but expectations need to be kept realistic, workable, low risk as well as attractive.

So not only support the event, and the few suppliers who support the event, but also support your make's local club. They each take a periodic financial risk in running their make's national events, don't expect them to do everything if you don't back them financially.

ps I'll be missing, but I wish the organisers good weather and every success.
    Last edited by Bruce H; 27th June 2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Typos and addition
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Hi Chris,
    Many lookers but not too many replies...

As you know I do a little bit of voluntary work around the edges of this event, but have not looked at further involvement.

A more family friendly day with perhaps entertainment (bring back the Can Can girls ), perhaps even with an educational content - Mrs GB has been fascinated with stories told by Jim Reddiex

We'll no doubt catch up at Brookfield so can chat further

Cheers
    Chris
    When I was in involved in the display (about 12 years) we always looked forward to your inexpensive (mostly free) help with stickers, leaflets and I think maybe magazines sometimes.

The Can Can girls were sponsored by Renault for some years and were $1000+, which we paid for the last time they were on as Renault were not forthcoming. An expense we could ill afford.

I don't have any answers on a ground change except that the Brookfield group have been very helpful in putting on the event, inexpensively.

The uni was great, but it became more difficult when we didn't have a staff member there that did the liasing. The ground there was ever shrinking with always more buildings and works encroaching on the area, reducing the parking.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Fellow Frogger!

It is on tomorrow and I'm sure will be good.

I for one think that Brookfield is a WONDERFUL !!! spot and hope it will stay.

We will bring 3 Citroens.

Thankyou to all for running this great event.

John Paas.

It’s too late for this event this year but my 2 cents worth is to get your clubs "promotions and media" person to get it on the radio.

Community radio station local to where the event is being held is a great place to start, but here in Sydney we have (as I’m sure everywhere has) a few 'cheesy listening' stations that will spruik community events for free even more so if the event entry is nominal or free and it’s easy to park/get to. Local ABC will usually pick up an event too if you give them a press release that’s under two paragraphs and has a picture!

To give a little more 'free help' this make sure your event promotion is easily Google Searchable from your club website, as well as here (AF is picked up frequently in a Google search so not too much to do there). I’m only just learning the value of all this tech stuff myself... so I’m no expert (yet)

It’s a suggestion that I hope CCCNSW will embrace too, especially with Cit-in 2013 in Griffith.
    Food for thought.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Thread Information