Crash Testing of Ozzie Cars
  • Help

Icon12 Crash Testing of Ozzie Cars

Hi,

Please read this from car point if you are ever interested to find out why people die in australian built cars.

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/news/...ry.asp?ID=5514

Holden spokesman, Jason Laird, responded to Dr Brisbane's comments, saying "we take safety extremely seriously, but there is more to safety than simply meeting one set of test requirements. We've long said that we believe the NCAP system is flawed."

Ford holds a similar position to Holden, with spokesman Andrew Ellis saying "Ford doesn't comment on NCAP crash testing. We focus on real world safety."

By the way renault are top of the NCAP testing. With 5 stars. Ha holden and ford don't build real cars! They build toys.

Advertisement

Interesting reading Cheers Nick

Quote Originally Posted by briz205
    By the way renault are top of the NCAP testing. With 5 stars. Ha holden and ford don't build real cars! They build toys.
    There's certainly more to car safety testing than EuroNCAP.

One advantage Renault has over other European marques is that it doesn't compete in the US market, so it can design its cars around the EuroNCAP tests. It's something that is raised on European boards I've frequented in the past. Whether they do or not, is another question, but the possibility certainly does exist.

It will be interesting to see how this performance translates into real world crash statistics. The cars should do well, but will they be as dominant in real world stats as they have with EuroNCAP?

One thing many fail to understand about EuroNCAP is that you can only compare star ratings within a class, not between classes. Its something I've found a lot of Renault salesmen are guilty of. You can't say a 4 star supermini is automatically better than a 3 star large car because of weight and size issues. In a car to car accident, every extra 100kg reduces the risk of injury by 7% according to a paper involving the Swedish National Road authorities and Monash University - even EuroNCAP points this out.

One things for sure, the cars are much safer today then they were. I was at a Renault dealer recently and the salesman said that one of Volvo's safety engineers jumped ship after the failed merger - I'd never really heard about that, but I think Renault did learn a thing or two about safety from the Swedes. Safety now sells cars and I think that's a good thing. People can lament about cars becoming heavier and duller, but if it saves lives, I think that's a good thing.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I'd never really heard about that, but I think Renault did learn a thing or two about safety from the Swedes. Safety now sells cars and I think that's a good thing
    Also remember that, there are lots of companies in the background with cars, eg TWR, they consulted Volvo and Renault around the same time C70 coupe and the Clio V6. Plus others I'm sure. They consulted Safety Engineers to both these companies as well as many others RE Holden..........

I'm sure there are othe companies that may be the driving force but the brand take the credit for. (I don't meant that in a bad way. The general public just assume it the manufacturer)

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

Quote Originally Posted by crosspug
    Also remember that, there are lots of companies in the background with cars, eg TWR, they consulted Volvo and Renault around the same time C70 coupe and the Clio V6. Plus others I'm sure. They consulted Safety Engineers to both these companies as well as many others RE Holden..........
    I don't think you'd go to TWR for safety advice though.

In the C70, TWR chiefly provided engineering advice for the chassis and styling (this is probably the reason why the Monaro looks so similar to the C70). TWR didn't have the expertise or facilities to provide any significantly useful input in the area of safety (well I guess they have nothing now, given the company went down the gurgler).

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

TWR didn't have the expertise or facilities to provide any significantly useful input in the area of safety
    Cough, cough

My brother might dispute that fact........

He "was" a principle safety engineer for TWR and worked on projects like those and quite possibly those themselves....... Maybe of course

Lets just say there was a pretty nasty 850R wagon that used to go M5 hunting on its travels around sweden etc.........

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

Quote Originally Posted by crosspug
    Cough, cough

My brother might dispute that fact........

He "was" a principle safety engineer for TWR and worked on projects like those and quite possibly those themselves....... Maybe of course

Lets just say there was a pretty nasty 850R wagon that used to go M5 hunting on its travels around sweden etc.........

Jono
    That news to me, but hey if it's true, you learn something new each day. Did TWR have any safety facilities that rivalled Volvo's?

I had always been told that TWR's influence chiefly surrounded 'performance' issues with regards to the C70. What type of safety work did they do on that car?

Someone survived this particular crash at over 200km/h. The idiot was racing a Porsche Boxter in Saudi Arabia and lost control after the Boxter hit the C70's tail.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

From what I know, which admittedly isn't too much as my bro is rather tight lipped about most of his work and still is (probably with good reason)

Think around the curtain/front air bags, their deployment and etc that type of thing....... Thats what was said may have had to work with on the cars as well as getting the entire thing the equivilant of ADR compliant for the EU with the volvo crew. From go to wow there seemed to be consulting in most matters.

I have no idea if facilities would rival the Volvo ones but, I know they spent lots of time in sweden, but also some in the area around Oxford (forgotten exactly where) which was the main headquarters which included testing etc.

Jono
    Last edited by crosspug; 9th December 2003 at 01:14 AM.
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

That would be MIRA... the Motor Industry Research establishment.

I think that's the place where Choice magazine shipped an HR Holden and XP Falcon to be compared with a Zephyr to see if Australian cars were really any good.

They found that the Aussie cars had too high a first gear, and that they had great dust sealing. Of course, they added, "but what use is that if there's no dust?"

Brilliant piece of work by Choice!

Thread Information