1000+ Posts

Default Who'd want an e-car?

when you can get that one for less than $1000.-

https://keelynet.wordpress.com/2009/...-in-the-world/

Advertisement
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

That looks like fun .... Can we race them on bike paths ?
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I would have that thing in an instant. Doesn't say how much fuel it takes at highway speeds or how long it takes to get there though.

But I think it's a step in a sort of right direction. If petrol goes up to 5 bucks a liter how much petrol would we afford to buy? And even if it doesn't go there, it's even worse. Imagine every chinese and indian person driving a car. How much Co2 would that put in the air?

Furthermore, I think right now we are trying to build hybrids/electrics etc following the paradigm of the petrol car, basically putting electric/hybrid engines in a Camry or some such. I am not sure this is such a good idea. In principle we should be making cars lighter and perhaps we should be looking for a different approach to car design, more appropriate to its intended propulsion. This little car seems a step in the right direction (i.e. away from the old norm).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    when you can get that one for less than $1000.-

https://keelynet.wordpress.com/2009/...-in-the-world/
    It's a spoof based on a VW concept car. The real price would be far from 1000$. The only one of these micro electrics to reach serious production is the Twizy, which I am seeing already every day in the traffic locally. It depends not only on technology but also on legislation that allows these light vehicules space on the road.
    Last edited by gerry freed; 16th June 2012 at 09:42 AM.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

JBN

They are not much good if you want a passenger.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    They are not much good if you want a passenger.

John
    Looking around in peak hour traffic it seems most don't!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Banned

the photos on the linked site are simply pictures of the VW concept car to which gerry refers.

for city use, i would have thought it much simpler to just buy a small engined motorbike. the aerodynamics are crap, but at commute speeds it doesnt make much difference. they exist already, take up even less space on the road, more manoeuverable, better vision etc. and you can take a pillion passenger.

you can see that the vw thing is optimised for fuel economy on highways.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I would have that thing in an instant. Doesn't say how much fuel it takes at highway speeds or how long it takes to get there though.

But I think it's a step in a sort of right direction. If petrol goes up to 5 bucks a liter how much petrol would we afford to buy? And even if it doesn't go there, it's even worse. Imagine every chinese and indian person driving a car. How much Co2 would that put in the air?

Furthermore, I think right now we are trying to build hybrids/electrics etc following the paradigm of the petrol car, basically putting electric/hybrid engines in a Camry or some such. I am not sure this is such a good idea. In principle we should be making cars lighter and perhaps we should be looking for a different approach to car design, more appropriate to its intended propulsion. This little car seems a step in the right direction (i.e. away from the old norm).
    Bit like the original Honda Insight everyone seems to bag. One of the most interesting cars ever built.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Bit like the original Honda Insight everyone seems to bag. One of the most interesting cars ever built.
    I just got a second birthday card for my Insight from Honda, reminding me that it should be serviced once a year. As a present i took it for its first visit to the car wash.
    As transport it is perfect, zero defects and total reliability. No problems with dealer support limited though it is, as it needs nothing, just there when wanted with no concerns about shoddy electronics or dodgy software.
    In terms of fuel economy it is no big deal, many diesels here do better at 5.8 per100ks.
    Hard to stay awake while it drives for you.
    If only the Twizy was a little more luggage friendly!
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Thread Information