Parking sensors
  • Help

Thread: Parking sensors

Default Parking sensors

I don't understand this interest in unreliable electronic sensors. The best parking sensors are other cars. You move into the parking space in reverse and watch in the rear view mirror the car behind. When it starts to move, judge how well the hand brake is applied. If it rolls, push it back until the car behind it moves. Now repeat the procedure in front. If you still can't get enough room give up, a sensor won't help you.
    Before parking it is important to check whether the car occupying the space ahead of you has a tow ball, a sensor won't tell you that. A good offensive strategy is to have one installed at each end of your car.
    Another ploy that does not need an additional sensor is to place one of those do-goody helpful pedestrians in the gap behind the car. Reverse and when you hear the knees crack, you have another 5 cms at least.
    Front and rear sensors are no use in underground car parks where the entry spirals are too tight for the car and where the bay and aisle widths prevent you from swinging into the space and opening the doors. One of the few solutions is to drive a cc type convertible which can be closed by a remote. You then can drive and and park with your doors just touching your neighbours. You then hop out over the boot and plip.
    Avoid cars with rigid mounted side mirrors, a sensor won't spot those.

quotes from "Paris native driving protocols" by Gerry Freed

Advertisement
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Banned

gerry, when i was in nyc last year i noticed a lot of cars had a thick vinyl protective pad jammed in between the boot lid, and the low rear edge. the pad then drapes over the bumper bar. is this sort of thing in use in paris?

never seen one but why would you want to avoid scratching someone else's car?

1000+ Posts

Default Easy parking by bump...

Tips

"When driving a government pool car, space can always be created by forcefully engaging bumpers to move said car at back if reversing into bay, then repeat same in forward motion.

If any visible damage appears on the vehicle you are driving make sure it is retrospectively noted as discovered before you signed it out!!

If alarm sounds when either car is respaced, exit pool car and walk away as if it has nothing to do with you!

Ken

JBN

Parking sensors became popular with the demise of the metal bumper. The old metal bumpers gave a "clang" when you had gone far enough.

My wife could produce a percusive symphony that would shame the Australia Orchestra's percussive section, when she became flustered.

I have them on my Xantia, both front and rear sensors, and find them handy for intricate positioning of the car in tight spots, reading the distance from the guage.

They are also handy in shopping centres when people leave their trolleys behind your car. The kids aren't so bad as they squash easily without doing any damage, although the mother doesn't appreciate that after she has just bought extra food for a mouth that doesn't require feeding.

John

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i thought bump parking was part of the license test in vic
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    I don't understand this interest in unreliable electronic sensors. The best parking sensors are other cars. You move into the parking space in reverse and watch in the rear view mirror the car behind. When it starts to move, judge how well the hand brake is applied. If it rolls, push it back until the car behind it moves. Now repeat the procedure in front.
    This is funny because it is true, I witnessed this for myself when I was in Paris.

Another thing that amazed me was the huge round-about around the Arc de Triomphe, it was choas!
    I stood on the path for a good half hour watching near miss after near miss, cars, buses, motorscooters, even people, but not a single bump! Plenty of horns going off though!
    And how the Parisians manage to turn a 4 lane road into a 6 lane road, our hire car had it's mirror tagged twice by cars passing us in the 'extra' lane!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Tips

"When driving a government pool car, space can always be created by forcefully engaging bumpers to move said car at back if reversing into bay, then repeat same in forward motion.

If any visible damage appears on the vehicle you are driving make sure it is retrospectively noted as discovered before you signed it out!!

If alarm sounds when either car is respaced, exit pool car and walk away as if it has nothing to do with you!

Ken
    Parking in Braille
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Renomad View Post
    This is funny because it is true, I witnessed this for myself when I was in Paris.

Another thing that amazed me was the huge round-about around the Arc de Triomphe, it was choas!
    I stood on the path for a good half hour watching near miss after near miss, cars, buses, motorscooters, even people, but not a single bump! Plenty of horns going off though!
    And how the Parisians manage to turn a 4 lane road into a 6 lane road, our hire car had it's mirror tagged twice by cars passing us in the 'extra' lane!
    Fortune favours the brave.

"Touch parking" in France is very common. In Australia it happens and doesn't need to happen.

Delivery truck reversing assistant with hand signals:

"Bring her back, bring her back" - CRUNCH - "That'll do".

2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Thread Information