Alternatives for space saver spare tyre?
  • Help

Icon5 Alternatives for space saver spare tyre?

Hi folks,

I'd like to replace the space saver spare tyre in our 406 STDT wagon as its supposedly limited to 80kmh. OK for town but am planning a long country trip at xmas.

Has anyone got any experience or advice on whether its possible to get and fit a tyre with a higher speed rating (ie a "normal" tyre or at least up to 110km/h). If so, what SIZE combinations may work (and still fit in the spare wheel space)?

I have 15" x 6" factory alloys on the car with 195/65 Pirelli P6000 tyres. It would be good to get the rolling diameter the same on the spare. I already have a standard 15" 406 spare rim but with a standard width tyre it is too wide to fit in the spare wheel hole and still have the floor cover flat.

I was wondering if a narrower tyre (eg a 165/75 15 which seems close in diam to the 195/65 15) would be OK? I think these were what I used to have on a 404 ages ago...? A quick web search found a tyre comparison that said these were only 0.9% different. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Advertisement

Not sure if all 406 wagons have the space savers or maybe just the ones with the fold down 3rd row of seats (like ours). I'd like to keep the extra seats in. I may be asking for too much here....

Advice welcome,
    Adam

XTC

You could also carry a "tire in a can" as a second line of defense (on top of the spare) ... but yes spacesavers should be banned, you can't drive legally with different size tyres, yet they can supply them ??? Do you have a roof rack ?

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Good point about the legality of space-savers and thanks for your suggestion about the puncture repair stuff in the can - I should have thought of that. What does that stuff do to your valves and tyres in the long term? Roofracks are another way - ta.

Disapointed about this aspect of the 406 - and also that the spare has to be unloaded from inside the car (ie remove all the holiday luggage). All older model Peugeots I've owned (404, 504 and even the 405) have had the spare in a cradle/cage that drops down from underneath. Admitedly the spare gets dirty and I have heard of people losing them on rough roads if the release gets knocked, and that could be a big hassle but pretty rare. I wonder if its got more to do with safety because it makes a stronger body?

I'll still investigate getting a "proper" tyre that will fit in the wheel well, so anyone who's done it let me know.
    -Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adam_405
    Disapointed about this aspect of the 406 - and also that the spare has to be unloaded from inside the car (ie remove all the holiday luggage). All older model Peugeots I've owned (404, 504 and even the 405) have had the spare in a cradle/cage that drops down from underneath. Admitedly the spare gets dirty and I have heard of people losing them on rough roads if the release gets knocked, and that could be a big hassle but pretty rare. I wonder if its got more to do with safety because it makes a stronger body?
    The spare wheel has returned to the bottom of the car in the 307 Touring - there is a wind down handle inside the boot. In the hatch, it is inside the car.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the spare tyre issue as I'm not familiar with the 406 Estate's spare wheel well.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Fellow Frogger!

I have 15" x 6" factory alloys on the car with 195/65 Pirelli P6000 tyres. It would be good to get the rolling diameter the same on the spare. I already have a standard 15" 406 spare rim but with a standard width tyre it is too wide to fit in the spare wheel hole and still have the floor cover flat.

I was wondering if a narrower tyre (eg a 165/75 15 which seems close in diam to the 195/65 15) would be OK? I think these were what I used to have on a 404 ages ago...? A quick web search found a tyre comparison that said these were only 0.9% different. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would have thought that fitting any tyre that did not have the same spec's as the rest would compromise your driving /handling. You may like to think about the way Henry gets around the problem with the AU foulcan - fits an inch bigger wheel and a lower profile tyre. ( The inch rule is one inch up on wheel -10% down on profile). If you like I have a current copy of the Tyre Fitment guide that I can drag out and chase out relevant figures. Drop me a line and I will do some homework.

I would question the logic of spacesavers overall but I would also question the need to change to a normal tyre. These days you are hard pressed to be more than two hours from a major town/city where a complete repair /replacement could be done. You are looking at, what , 10-15 mins.more driving time. Just put on a hat(or let the lady drive) and drive in the right hand lane and people will take it as read that you should be doing 80k's!
    Ron
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Thread Information