Some real French cars in a real French setting
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Some real French cars in a real French setting

Now in its eleventh year, the concentration of older vehicles at Vieilleville in the Creuse was once again a venue for H van enthusiasts.
    Jean Fari, the local representative of "Les Amis du Type H", the founding Club for the preservation of the Type H, opens his home to members for the weekend.
    This sleepy village in deepest France comes alive once a year as the streets are filled with cars and agricultural vehicles from the region. One doesn't have to go far into the countryside to find H vans in silent retirement under shady trees. Not always completely retired, they have found a second career as shepherds' huts and storage for animal forage.
    This year (one might say as usual), the rain was with us but it didn't deter the locals. These albums, I hope, give some impression of the rural flavour of the gathering and of the hospitality. It is a great reminder that Paris is not France and here the 2cv's work for their living every day.
    Enjoy the photos and if you want any of them, just send an email and I will reply with the high resolution versions.

Advertisement

Maintenant dans sa 11ième année, la Concentration de véhicules de collection à Vieilleville dans la Creuse a été encore une fois une occasion pour les H'istes.
    Jean Fari, l'antenne locale du club doyen pour préservation du patrimoine du Type H (Les Amis du Type H), ouvre ses portes aux adhérents.
    Ce village endormi, en France profonde, se réveille une fois par an - les rues pleines de voitures et tracteurs d'antan à la musique de la Banda. On n'a pas besoin de s'égarer bien dans la campagne pour trouver les Type H en retraite à l'abri d'un arbre; pas totalement retraités, ils ont souvent une deuxième carrière comme abri de bergers ou stock de forage.
    Cette année (on peut dire comme d'habitude) il pleuvait mais ça n'a pas empêché les riverains de bien s'amuser.
    Ces albums, j'espère, donnent un petit goût de la vie bucolique et de l'hospitalité rurale. C'est un bon rappel que Paris ce n'est pas la France et ici les Deuches travaillent dur pour leur soupçon de carburant.
    Regardez les photos et si vous en désirez, envoyez-moi un mél et je répondrais avec les fichiers à haute résolution.

http://www.globalfreed.com/Vielleville2012_ATH
    http://www.globalfreed.com/Vielleville2012_Citroen
    http://www.globalfreed.com/Vielleville2012_Ambience
    http://www.globalfreed.com/Vielleville2012_Tracteurs
    http://www.globalfreed.com/Vielleville2012_Panhard
    http://www.globalfreed.com/Vielleville2012_Renault
    http://www.globalfreed.com/Vielleville2012_Peugeot
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Gerry the rust doesn't look too bad on the H Van in the early shots, maybe the trees have afforded protection or the climate in this area is dry. A really nice assortment of cars, vans and trucks!

Banned

excellent photos, as usual. is that one of those towns with yokels, old farts and a few too many cows?

Great to see such a range from utilitarian to sporty. Thanks for posting.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

1000+ Posts

Default !!

Hi,
    Gerry thanks for some great photos. I do not want better photos sent to me, I want a real H van emailed to me.

Prefer a working one not a chook shed, but anything you can get in the USB port will do
    jaahn

Rich pasturage and solid Limousin cattle that shout "GRILL ME" . It is a small village of a few hundred in a region of rural depopulation. Most that remained are retirees but now money and the young are moving in.

Thanks Gerry! I always look forward to your excursions!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Thanks for posting the pics Gerry, it was a good way to kill half an hour on a soggy Queen's Birthday long weekend!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

I'd like an Ami8.... or a Panhard CT or both. in black.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite View Post
    I'd like an Ami8.... or a Panhard CT or both. in black.
    For cannibals who like steamed food, a black Panhard would be a great investment. It would cook two in half an hour on a summer's day.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    For cannibals who like steamed food, a black Panhard would be a great investment. It would cook two in half an hour on a summer's day.
    hehehe
    so it is related to a DS and CX!
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Worse, lots of window area and a smaller internal volume. Air con is not an option with an 850cc motor if you are intending to use it as a speed improvement over walking.
    Last edited by gerry freed; 20th June 2012 at 05:09 PM.

Wow. Haven't seen a Simca Oceane in yonks. Like, really. Even trying to look them up on google is not that straightforward.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Yeah, but no Oceane.

No 1200S either. What gives? How rare are 1200Ses?

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Did you buy yourself a CX2500 GTi Turbo prestige in green (that's one fine looking car). So who's rescuing the "grown in" Hvan

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Yeah, but no Oceane.

No 1200S either. What gives? How rare are 1200Ses?
    Well, you can't have everything! Locomotion limits the display to 1500 vehicles and over the weekend not everybody stays both days so there are only about a 1000 to look at.

There were 14,000 1200S built and here is the only register of current owners that I can find.
    http://www.simcaworld.net/simca/simca1200s/s1200.html
    I have seen two in 9 years.

Well, you can't have everything! Locomotion limits the display to 1500 vehicles and over the weekend not everybody stays both days so there are only about a 1000 to look at.

There were 14,000 1200S built and here is the only register of current owners that I can find.
    http://www.simcaworld.net/simca/simca1200s/s1200.html
    I have seen two in 9 years.
    You, lucky bastard! Have you ever driven one?

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    You, lucky bastard! Have you ever driven one?
    No but I am open to offers.

Ha. Get in line. How difficult is it (administratively) to have an old car as a daily in France?

Why would you?
    Control technique every two years and expensive insurance. If you have one daily car fully insured then additional cars over 30 yrs old cost about 60 euros per year.
    The dealer networks have little to no experience on older cars and poor access to parts. You would be on your own for coping with breakdowns. The honourable exception is the 2cv.
    The main downside is fuel cost and then you have to worry about substitutes for leaded petrol.
    With some vehicles the new legislation limiting tyre age to 5 years is a killer. Some tyres are no longer made and modern tyres are often not close enough in spec to be approved without a costly engineering test. This is hitting the H van.
    Last edited by gerry freed; 23rd June 2012 at 12:34 AM. Reason: typo

Why would you?
    Control technique every two years and expensive insurance. If you have one daily car fully insured then additional cars over 30 yrs old cost about 60 euros per year.
    The dealer networks have little to no experience on older cars and poor access to parts. You would be on your own for coping with breakdowns. The honourable exception is the 2cv.
    The main downside is fuel cost and then you have to worry about substitues for leaded petrol.
    With some vehicles the new legislation limiting tyre age to 5 years is a killer. Some tyres are no longer made and modern tyres are often not close enough in spec to be approved without a costly engineering test. This is hitting the H van.
    Because I was born too late to buy a new one?

Not sure, but I find some cars of yore much better for everyday duties than modern offerings (I know what you'll say, you're right, but still this is not entirely rational).

Some cars of old are such a pleasure to drive, I don't understand why would anyone want to drive something modern? I love the simplicity, I love small basic cars with modern mechanicals (way ahead of their time back when new), I don't care for modern comforts like power everything and ipods (I don't own one) or satnav (don't have one, but would like to have one that talks to me in a foreign language like czech or japanese for instance although I understand neither) or even air conditioning.

I am bipolar.
    I love driving old vehicles, well engineered particularly those of the 50's and 60's. When you are driving for the pleasure and not to deadlines or to comply with modern traffic conditions it makes perfect sense. However old cars will never come back and what we have has to be preserved. I rarely trust my old vehicles near public car parks, errant supermarket trolley jockeys or overpressed truckies.

For transport I prefer a bland, utterly reliable, dirty car, consider it a depreciating asset and whose dents and scratches make it unattractive to vandals. It has to have the acceleration to tangle with the Paris traffic and the speed/economy and acceleration to cover long autoroute distances.
    These days the difference in running costs is very noticeable and touring in the H van, for example, is an exercise to be subjected to serious budgeting.
    A DS, SM or CX is just hopeless in the urban traffic today and of that era the only car I would consider for everday use is the 2cv. That does the town transport better than most modern cars but it fails the autoroute test.

I have to agree with Gerry... Although an R16 isn't particularly "vintage" it's far more stressful to drive one in traffic on a schedule. Less grip means longer braking distance and that is seen as an invitation to cut in by those unappreciative of how the laws of physics dictate certain behaviour.

Aircon, cruise control, heated mirrors and electronics to help when I cock something up right royally? I'll have a plastic car every morning I'm due at work on time, thanks. For the weekend? Different story!

Fruit images shown are illustrative of flavour only and are not ingredients of the product.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I am bipolar.
    I love driving old vehicles, well engineered particularly those of the 50's and 60's. When you are driving for the pleasure and not to deadlines or to comply with modern traffic conditions it makes perfect sense. However old cars will never come back and what we have has to be preserved. I rarely trust my old vehicles near public car parks, errant supermarket trolley jockeys or overpressed truckies.

For transport I prefer a bland, utterly reliable, dirty car, consider it a depreciating asset and whose dents and scratches make it unattractive to vandals. It has to have the acceleration to tangle with the Paris traffic and the speed/economy and acceleration to cover long autoroute distances.
    These days the difference in running costs is very noticeable and touring in the H van, for example, is an exercise to be subjected to serious budgeting.
    A DS, SM or CX is just hopeless in the urban traffic today and of that era the only car I would consider for everday use is the 2cv. That does the town transport better than most modern cars but it fails the autoroute test.
    But, but ... but. ..... Just look at what you could be driving .... that CX turbo II prestige you photographed would have to be one of the best cars even made to travel in. Bugger fuel costs..... travel in comfort and style

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information