Isn't it annoying when ......
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Isn't it annoying when ......

Our morning routine for years heading off to work - I go out to the cars, lean into the wife's Renault Scenic and start the engine, allowing it to warm up a bit while I get my car going, open the gate and drive out, then get the Renault out.

Today, weather looking a bit nasty, turn the Renault key, and the dreaded "click click whirr" but no engine start. Not the usual starter click, just sounds like a relay or something. Bugger. Lift bonnet and check battery terminals, and battery is not very old. Try again, still no go. Turn on headlights, nice and bright, and they stay bright when key turned to start, so battery is OK. Start thinking - here we go, take wife to work, then after work to try to diagnose a stupid problem.

At this point, wife walks out to car and asks is something wrong - answer - Yes, not starting. "Is it in Park?" she asks. I check this, put the gear lever in Park, engine starts immediately. Mrs Fordman quietly gloating.

Get in my car and go to work.

Advertisement

2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Banned

Bloody technology!

About a year ago I noticed a car in the car park of my work... bonnet was up and an old man was looking at it scratching his head... I walked towards the gentleman and asked if I could help... he thanked me and explained that he doesn't know what happened... they went to the shops,... came back and she wouldn't start... Can not remember the car now but it was relatively new... I asked if I may help... he said he has already called the RACV... I insisted lightly, telling him that I m reasonably knowledgeable around cars and besides it could be a while before RACV shows up... he says ok...
    So I hop into the car and notice immediately that it isn't in "park"... the old mans wife was in passenger seat so I gently push the lever forwards so as she doesn't notice...I turn the key and the car fires to life...
    The old man is confused... I walk out and tell him all is well... new cars can be like that sometimes...
    But before I could finish being diplomatic I heard the wife yell out... "you didnt have it in park"...
    I tried to look after the fellow man,... protect the pride... you know... but not to be... THEY SEE EVERYTHING... the wifes that is... She then tells him to call the RACV back and save themselves a lot of embarrassment...

There is a saying that goes something like:

SHIT HAPPENS...

dino

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Bloody technology!
    we need "auto start"... maybe voice activated... I can just imagine it... "start you bi##h...start!!!"

dino

Banned

"Betty in the Back": Did you say starp?

Ahem.

Gotta be on the ball, Mr Fordman. One day you might find wife wants to upgrade to Mr Renaultman. Can't have that.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Same thing happened first time I tried to start an auto. Was trying to to impress my father... "Look dad, I started the car for you!" Ended up looking more like "Dad, I broke the Falcon. I could start the 504, but this isn't working".

Response: "Put it in Park, and put the brake on."

"Oh."

I know a little about cars and even less about my Honda Insight, as its 450 page driver's manual is just too much to read.
    We parked outside the supermarket on Tuesday and I stopped the engine and removed the key, as "usual"?
    Then found we couldn't get out. All the doors and windows were locked and the buttons inoperable.
    Then the lights starting flashing and the horn went into alarm mode. The security guards came out but just watched.
    I put the key back in and started the engine. The alarm stopped. So I stopped the engine and tried the doors. Same result! imprisoned.
    With what's left of my brain, I deduced that the only button operational was the unlock one on the key itself. So I pressed that and the door controls became operational again.

I now know that it has a panic- anti carnapping feature by which if you touch the lock button on the key when inside the car, it "secures" you on the inside.

Some day real soon, I might read that thick book that fills a door storage bin.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

UFO

Gerry - read instructions? Never!!!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

That lock in function would be the most stupid and dangerous design I've ever heard of. What happens when cars catch fire? Toxic, choking smoke, zero visibility, panic grabbing at things you can't see. Rather than a lock in button they should have a big red escape button on the dash. There is a small spring loaded window shattering tool in use. It should obviously be in their glove box.

I hired a small Isuzu 2 tonne furniture van a few years ago for a long road trip and you wouldn't want to know I had a flat tyre miles from anywhere. Had No.1 son with me and so when we attempted to change the wheel the nuts would not loosen no matter how hard I tried, so after an hour of trying to get the wheel off I called for roadside assistance.

While waiting for help to arrive No.1 son reads the glovebox manual and discovered the front wheel nuts are actually left hand threaded......on Isuzu trucks.

After I cancelled road side assist I advised No.1 son that Mum's the word, what happens on tour stays on tour..
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 8th June 2012 at 12:04 PM.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Something like that happened to my they day I bought the 604. I was shocked by the entire car. Loved it... I drove home... Called out all of my family... "look, loook thissss!! hear the v6, blablabla" ...

tried to start.... nothing. again, nothing... (voices, low comments between them.... "crap.....ca... doe...ev..star...")

when all them went back home... move the stick to P, 1,2,3, just playing. Left it on N, and just before going home to start reading the manual... tried to start. gshh..vrooooom...

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    At this point, wife walks out to car and asks is something wrong - answer - Yes, not starting. "Is it in Park?" she asks. I check this, put the gear lever in Park, engine starts immediately. Mrs Fordman quietly gloating.
    Get in my car and go to work.
    G'day,
    ah,yes, but WHO left it not on park ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    Hahaha, I wasn't game to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    I am old enough and wise enough to know NEVER NEVER NEVER find fault with SWMBO !!!

After I showed her this thread she said she wasn't "quietly gloating" - when she got to work she was LOUDLY GLOATING, quite jubilant in fact.

OK so she had a win, but us oldies know that means that we have had a win, because she thinks she has had a win, and that's a win!

2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Icon6

I am old enough and wise enough to know NEVER NEVER NEVER find fault with SWMBO !!!

After I showed her this thread she said she wasn't "quietly gloating" - when she got to work she was LOUDLY GLOATING, quite jubilant in fact.

OK so she had a win, but us oldies know that means that we have had a win, because she thinks she has had a win, and that's a win!

G'day,
    quite right. Keep to that conviction and you will have a long and lasting arrangement,[ marriage].
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    I now know that it has a panic- anti carnapping feature by which if you touch the lock button on the key when inside the car, it "secures" you on the inside.

Some day real soon, I might read that thick book that fills a door storage bin.
    Gerry - RTFM (read the flaming manual). Who knows what other gems of information you'll find out.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by 2353 View Post
    Gerry - RTFM (read the flaming manual). Who knows what other gems of information you'll find out.
    Yeah, you might find the car has other useful features. Like automatically winding up the windows when it rains.

I never open the windows except when paying tolls, it spoils the Cd.

Banned

I find opening them when being spoken to by the Police has benefits as well..............

They never appear when it is raining.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

....... "Is it in Park?" she asks. I check this, put the gear lever in Park, engine starts immediately. Mrs Fordman quietly gloating.....
    well sometimes it doesn't matter, knew a bloke years ago that managed to start his Holden whilst not in P, he took out the garage wall.....

But, then again, this same bloke did tend to have more than his fair share of bad luck, only fella I know that's managed to drive up the backside of a parked car.....

cheers,
    Bob

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall View Post
    That lock in function would be the most stupid and dangerous design I've ever heard of. What happens when cars catch fire? Toxic, choking smoke, zero visibility, panic grabbing at things you can't see. Rather than a lock in button they should have a big red escape button on the dash. There is a small spring loaded window shattering tool in use. It should obviously be in their glove box.
    Just remembered. My old RX4 Scenic and my Koleos both have a large "UNDO THE DOORS" button centrally on the dash. The doors automatically or not (you choose) lock at at 6 kmh but undo instantly in the event of a collision, at the same time cutting off fuel to the engine via a relay. (Whilst you're still inside, unlike a lot of other vehicles.) This follows the inflation of up to a million airbags and the operation of 500 seat belt pre-tensioners. Any questions?

Fellow Frogger!

Default offers of assistance

G/DAY ALL, A few years ago my old dad ran his 1926 austin 7 in parade for the opening of a new bridge in Coffs Harbour on the way home again it stopped on him in the main street, Whilste he was haveing a look at it a young bloke walked up and asked if he could help as he was a mechanic. Dad asked how long he'd been a mechanic and he said 5 years dad then asked if he knew anything about updraft carburetors and asked what is a carburetor dad then asked what about magnito ignition systems and he had no idea there either, Dad then said that he had been a mechanic for over 60 years and he would be ok thanks.
    Cheers Peter.

1000+ Posts

How sensible of Renault. Obviously based on practical advice from the emergency services. But Renault always were a leader in real world safety back to the 1960's.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information