Headlight Bulb Life
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fordman
  • 1 Post By mr bern
  • 1 Post By speaksgeek

Thread: Headlight Bulb Life

Default Headlight Bulb Life

Have just blown my 4th headlight bulb in my 308.

Advertisement

When original bulb (Osram IIRC) blew I put in a pair of my favorite bulbs, the Philips Plus 50.
    About 10 months later one of them blew and I put in a new pair and I've had 2 blow in the last month (admittedly one was a kept goodie when a fresh pair were put in ).

I spoke to an auto electrician about the life of bulbs and he said his boss' Subaru was going through a few and decided to buy Philips plus 100% Life bulbs... supposedly last twice as long but are only normal brightness. He said they did last a bit longer
    Was also told Philips are no longer making the Plus 50, but Plus 80 lamps will still be available.

I've usually bought the Philips brand as I thought they were reliable

Anyone else having trouble with shortlived headlight bulbs?

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Fellow Frogger!

The "plus" bulbs (from any maker) do indeed sacrifice life for performance, but IMO, you won't find a more reliable maker of bulbs than Osram or Philips.

Though they're not supposed to blow within a month of installing them - is the battery condition okay?

Its not the brand... its the globe. H7 I m guessing... shittiest globes ever... why? because they are packing as much wattage into them as they did in the old H4 but they are half size... I think modern "harder" suspensions aren't helping. I work in an autobarn part time and i ve dealt with most major globe suppliers... it doesnt matter what brand... H7 is a crap globe... On my merc I ve gone hid but the led globes are starting to come through so will give them a shot next.

dino

ps. try the phillips long life. I m assuming you know that you shouldnt touch the glass on them when you fit them.

pps... can you post a high res. pic of the globe... they can be read like a spark plug...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    On my merc I ve gone hid
    Surely someone of your driving talent doesn't use anything as simplistic as headlights?

I thought you used The Force or something?

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    Surely someone of your driving talent doesn't use anything as simplistic as headlights?

I thought you used The Force or something?

You are confusing me with the lot on the "dark side"...

dino

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post
    The "plus" bulbs (from any maker) do indeed sacrifice life for performance, but IMO, you won't find a more reliable maker of bulbs than Osram or Philips.

Though they're not supposed to blow within a month of installing them - is the battery condition okay?
    The one that went with in a month was an oldie I kept .. so in reality it lasted a bit longer than its mate as I replace the lamps in pairs.

Its not the brand... its the globe. H7 I m guessing... shittiest globes ever... why? because they are packing as much wattage into them as they did in the old H4 but they are half size... I think modern "harder" suspensions aren't helping. I work in an autobarn part time and i ve dealt with most major globe suppliers... it doesnt matter what brand... H7 is a crap globe... On my merc I ve gone hid but the led globes are starting to come through so will give them a shot next.

dino

ps. try the phillips long life. I m assuming you know that you shouldnt touch the glass on them when you fit them.

pps... can you post a high res. pic of the globe... they can be read like a spark plug...
    Yep they are H7

Am thinking of the Philips plus 100% Life globes. Yep. never touch the glass.

Will go down into the garage and get a pic and see how good an image I can post. Think AF has strict image sizes. But last bulb had a burn mark inside indicating filament has burnt out... which is odd as Halogen lamps are supposed to redeposit metal back onto the filament not like an incandescent bulb where the filament continually burns away usually depositing the metal on the glass

Decca

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Not looking to brag (because it was none of my doing), but I think my 206 only cost me a single headlight globe in 10 years and more than 200,000 kms of not-always-tender treatment -- pretty clear on that, because I wasn't able to replace it myself. Oh, and exactly one tail-light globe, at another time, which I did replace. (And one battery, as previously documented.)

Always suspected it was a "special" build for initial delivery, though ...
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

10 years... thats very good... but still needs to be put in perspective... there are drivers out there that do more "night time" driving in six months than some do in 10 years...

Most of my customers complain that they are only getting 1 or 2 years tops... large number claiming six months or so... and it doesnt matter whether its an astra or a kia...

dino

I checked back on a post about August 2011 when I said I had found the Philips LL (Long life) bulbs were definitely giving a longer run (and the fact I still haven't replaced them since then makes it even more so). However, they are H4 bulbs. But if they make them in H7, I say give them a go. Were not so easy to find, possibly need a quality replacement parts dealer, not the Super Cheap variety. In fact, I found the genuine Ford parts H4 bulbs were Philips LL, maybe they also are in the H7? This sort of explains others experience with genuine maufacturer bulbs lasting longer - they just use better quality bulbs.

Cheers.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

10 years... thats very good... but still needs to be put in perspective... there are drivers out there that do more "night time" driving in six months than some do in 10 years...

Most of my customers complain that they are only getting 1 or 2 years tops... large number claiming six months or so... and it doesnt matter whether its an astra or a kia...

dino
    You are right on, Dino. My BA (yes, you can shudder) had the optional Telstra "day time running" headlights. Probably good safety feature, but didn't help bulb life. Fortunately mine failed, and the standard fix is to disable the daytime running module.

Cheers.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

The 207's first pair of Philips Xtreme Vision globes didn't last a particularly long time. I've had the car for 4.5 years and the original globes only lasted 1.5 years - as did the second pair (the Philips ones). The originals were OSRAM.

Disappointing when both 206s were much more robust in the headlight department.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

I believe that Renault use Narva as their OEM and their globes last way longer. My first bulb blew at 2 1/2years and my replacement from super cheap (emergency buy) only went 3 months. Then I went with Philips 50's and got about 9 months nearly exactly the same on the two I bought. Did some homework and went to narva and been going strong for more than a year

Fellow Frogger!

All original bulbs in my previous Citroens have been Narva & had exceptional life.

Richard

They dont make them like the used to do.

All the fuego bulbs are OE.
    They may be off a wreck by now, but suffice to say with a few wrecks to pillage from, I'm covered for about 20 years of bulbs.

Interestingly, about five years ago when car leds first came onto the market, I bought a stack of them from jaycar.
    The guys there assured me they were for internal use only and would not last on a number plate light.

Determined to try, I coated both external number plate led's in non acid cure polycarbonate sealer (silicon) to try and weather proof them.

Ironically, all the leds that I used inside the car lasted about 3 month, and the number plate globes are still burning strong in spite of having seen a fair bit of colision damage over the years.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by citroenut View Post
    All original bulbs in my previous Citroens have been Narva & had exceptional life.
    Richard
    Interesting, the Narva globes I have been using on a Golf have had a shite lifespan. Less than a year.
    Switched to Phillips and haven't had a problem since.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    You are right on, Dino. My BA (yes, you can shudder) had the optional Telstra "day time running" headlights. Probably good safety feature, but didn't help bulb life. Fortunately mine failed, and the standard fix is to disable the daytime running module.

Cheers.
    Interesting... I just spoke to head Honcho at Battery World in Philip and he suggested using daylight running lights feature in my 308 to prolong bulb life.
    He said cars belonging to security companies go through bulbs at a great rate.
    Maybe Should have got Osrams (OE Type)

Anyway have already bought some bulbs, again Philips but this time Plus 100. (light , not life) Cost $67

Decca

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    I checked back on a post about August 2011 when I said I had found the Philips LL (Long life) bulbs were definitely giving a longer run (and the fact I still haven't replaced them since then makes it even more so). However, they are H4 bulbs. But if they make them in H7, I say give them a go. Were not so easy to find, possibly need a quality replacement parts dealer, not the Super Cheap variety. In fact, I found the genuine Ford parts H4 bulbs were Philips LL, maybe they also are in the H7? This sort of explains others experience with genuine manufacturer bulbs lasting longer - they just use better quality bulbs.

Cheers.
    Just an update on this old thread.

I have just replaced one of my Philips LL (long Life) headlight bulbs. As I had previously been replacing bulbs regularly, and wanting to keep track of globe life, I had written date of install on the globe base. This one had been in since Dec 2008, so over 6 years and has now covered 110,000kms. The other one was installed Mar 2009 (written on receipt) and is still going strong.

Naturally I have purchased the same globes, as it is a bit of a mission to change the bulbs (but not as bad as Lagunas I believe ).

So if you want good long life H4 bulbs, they are Philips p/n 12342LL and are the same globe in the genuine Ford p/n SX13466A box. I paid approx $25 each trade for the Ford parts, as they were easier to source on the day.

addo likes this.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

No disrespect intended, but I wouldn't be holding Ford up as a paragon of anything much in the lighting department.

Decades ago, a former buyer for Ford Oz told me (in the old currency, but quite proudly) that their wiring loom had barely one eighth of an inch free play between front and rear bumpers -- everything I've seen in Ford lighting since then has made perfect sense in the context of that comment. Just the other day, for example, I saw a new, current-model Falcon ute with only one (of three) brake lights working. If I see something in my mirrors coming up behind me with misaligned headlights that are bright enough to be newish, it's more often a Falcon than not.
    Fordman likes this.
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Quote Originally Posted by mr bern View Post
    No disrespect intended, but I wouldn't be holding Ford up as a paragon of anything much in the lighting department.
    Decades ago, a former buyer for Ford Oz told me (in the old currency, but quite proudly) that their wiring loom had barely one eighth of an inch free play between front and rear bumpers -- everything I've seen in Ford lighting since then has made perfect sense in the context of that comment. Just the other day, for example, I saw a new, current-model Falcon ute with only one (of three) brake lights working. If I see something in my mirrors coming up behind me with misaligned headlights that are bright enough to be newish, it's more often a Falcon than not.
    No disrespect taken but I think there are worse car electrical systems around than on Fords, not to be discussed on this forum, but my thread somewhere on Scenic taillight poor connections causing dash lights to glow and brake lights not to work, may be a clue!

However, in confirmation of your decades ago story, I actually worked at Ford in Broadmeadows in the early 1970's (long way from home) and in those days they had an employee suggestion program. I do remember that several awards were given to ideas for reducing length of wiring harnesses. Awards were made on the basis of a percentage of calculated cost saving on the production line over a 12 month period. There was a limit (and it may have been $10k, and/or a new car?) and one of these was awarded to a guy operating a stamping press in Geelong, who reckoned that the suspension arm he was pressing could be pressed in 2 operations instead of 3 if slightly redesigned. They did this and he got a big award for those days, good on him.

Anyway, an H4 bulb is an H4 bulb, and my info is still relevant in that if it runs for 6 years in a Ford, it will probably run for 12 years or more in a Peugeot!

Last edited by Fordman; 14th May 2015 at 02:00 PM.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

I've had awful life from my H7 bulbs generally when I install the "high performance" brighter bluer beam bulbs.
    I've switched to either Narva or Phillips long life bulbs and no more problems.

There is definitely a price to pay in life for the extra brightness of the bulbs. I don't think it's worth it.
    Fordman likes this.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, AT Power Dry Sump, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Custom Radiator and Oil cooler, 3J Plate LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5, Winton - 1:40.2, Wakefield - 1:11.05, Phillip Island - 1:55.9, The Bend (International) 2:23.2
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

1000+ Posts

Oh, and I was replacing at least one stop bulb nearly every day in our Ford Transit fleet. They are rear bulb killers. If that was their only issue we might not have got rid of them all.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, AT Power Dry Sump, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Custom Radiator and Oil cooler, 3J Plate LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5, Winton - 1:40.2, Wakefield - 1:11.05, Phillip Island - 1:55.9, The Bend (International) 2:23.2

Dual mass flywheels, perchance?

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Dual mass flywheels, perchance?
    Annoying, and expensive to change but no, still not the only reason. All the power steering pumps (and some racks) failed within around 20k. Rear barn door hinges develop stress cracks at about 60k, fail at about 100k, interior floors wear out at about the same time, EGR issues constantly, several turbo failures, and the list continues. I don't I ever had one go it's scheduled 15K service interval without an intermediate failure.

Now - some of this can probably be blamed on dealer servicing being rubbish, but still. We had 24 of the things - never again.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

Thread Information