403 with Jaeger Coupler and sunroof Ebay
  • Help

Default 403 with Jaeger Coupler and sunroof Ebay

If any frogger is interested , a tidy looking 1959 403 with Jaeger Coupler and sunroof is on French Ebay item number 140765090587. It is missing the Coupler badge from the bootlid.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    what is it about these cars that turn grown men into babies wanting a 2nd or 3rd identical rattle? now, wheres my wallet....

Icon6

G'day,
    apart from being as rare as hens teeth,
    http://boardreader.com/thread/If_its...42p4X1r0r.html

WTD Jaegar Coupler for 403

could someone please tell me what a Jaeger coupler is.

Restorer, did you ever find one ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

A Jaeger Coupler replaces a conventional clutch . It is an electrically controlled clutch which works exceptionally well. I located one here in Australia and have been running it in my car for about 12 months. It was quite simple to exchange for the conventional clutch and removes a clutch pedal , declutching occurs when you grip the gear shift lever ( an electrical contact in the tip of the lever trips a relay to operate the system ) . Handbrake starts on hills are a thing of the past , it is almost like an automatic transmission except that you must still manually operate the gear shift lever . The donor car had been operating in Brisbane for about 43 years so I am not expecting too many problems with it. I believe that the type of electrical clutch is still in use in industrial machinery.

Fellow Frogger!

I remember a similar system on the Renault 750 in the 50s which used ferrous particles energised by current from the generator to control slip & lock up. A switch in the gear lever knob disconnected the current between changes. It worked well but wasn't popular. Don't know if it was the Jaeger system.
    The English came up with the Smith's Manumatic which used vacuum operation of a conventional clutch.
    I recall it being available on Hillman Minx & Austin Cambridge. A dismal failure.

Cheers, Richard

PS ; I remember now , the Renault system was a FERLEC clutch.
    Last edited by citroenut; 12th June 2012 at 09:56 AM.

Thread Information