Driven- KIA Sorento V6...nice
  • Help

Icon14 Driven- KIA Sorento V6...nice

Well my wife has bought a KIA Sportage 2.0 and we went to collect the car but the car was not ready. They gave us a loan car which is a Sorrento V6.

It really is a solid car to drive and has some serious grunt. No idea whats its like off road however. no idea whats its like yet on fuel usage. It really is a great solid car though that does have all the stuff you need.

KIA are coming back up I think and the quality is a huge jump from what they were I think a decade ago.

Advertisement

Thoughts....

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney View Post
    Well my wife has bought a KIA Sportage 2.0 and we went to collect the car but the car was not ready. They gave us a loan car which is a Sorrento V6.

It really is a solid car to drive and has some serious grunt. No idea whats its like off road however. no idea whats its like yet on fuel usage. It really is a great solid car though that does have all the stuff you need.

KIA are coming back up I think and the quality is a huge jump from what they were I think a decade ago.

Thoughts....
    Obviously the choice of car is personal. Some buy for purely functional reasons. Others are influenced by the aesthetic more than some.
    Ask your self? What does driving a modern Kia say about you... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
    Sorry... but to me they are cars for sheep. No personality. No character. JUST NOTHING.
    If they NEVER existed the society would be no worse or better for it.
    I m not saying this about all Kias... There is a place for them... I just wouldnt feel comfortable driving one.
    I d perhaps be embarrassed seen in one... But I m an automotive snob so my view is extreme and can be ignored.

dino

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

KIA are coming back up I think
    KIA are coming up, I agree. Coming BACK up, I have trouble with that. It implies they have been "up" before. They haven't.

Must say though, they are getting up to a reasonable standard quicker than Hyundai did.

Dino, you're wrong to say driving a KIA says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about you. It says that you have no interest in cars except as A to B transport.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn View Post

Dino, you're wrong to say driving a KIA says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about you. It says that you have no interest in cars except as A to B transport.
    You are right... it actually says even more ie. you are tight arse. A to B can be satisfied by a number of existing and long standing marques: toyota, nissan, honda, mazda etc etc These are considered premium Japanese brands though hence why one opts for Kia... they are cheap and in comparison to the rest of the majors (let alone Europeans) nasty...

cue... Jo...

dino

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    You are right... it actually says even more ie. you are tight arse. A to B can be satisfied by a number of existing and long standing marques: toyota, nissan, honda, mazda etc etc These are considered premium Japanese brands though hence why one opts for Kia... they are cheap and in comparison to the rest of the majors (let alone Europeans) nasty...

cue... Jo...

dino
    There is a bit of truth to all that I think......

There is a bit of truth to all that I think......
    Daniel, you are a great sport. I m a little bit elitist when it comes to car stuff, but one can certainly respect
    decisions others make based on their own budgets and other constraints. Truth is, most modern stuff is good value. Hell even Kia uses some of the best designers out there. I absolutely abhor some of the style cues that are "obviously" being copied but this has been happening for decades. It shouldnt get to me, but it does. I just wish there was more variety. There are a few style leaders and everybody else seems to follow. With the incredible resources the designers have at hand there should be a much greater variety in designs. This is lacking.

dino

The advantage of sophisticated design tools is that you can optimise the compliance/cost/functionality and the outcome is a convergence of options. Once you have found a structure that meets safety compliance and minimises component count and material content ,your styling freedom is limited. Take refrigerator design..........
    The breakout comes when you can skew one of the parameters, usually cost. So exciting cars come at a price and rely on image.to compete.

The. Koreans are gaining market share in France because their price and warranties are competitive in an economic and legislation constrained scenario. As inthe USA youth aspiration is turning from transport to iPads and the like.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    The advantage of sophisticated design tools is that you can optimise the compliance/cost/functionality and the outcome is a convergence of options. Once you have found a structure that meets safety compliance and minimises component count and material content ,your styling freedom is limited. Take refrigerator design..........
    The breakout comes when you can skew one of the parameters, usually cost. So exciting cars come at a price and rely on image.to compete.

The. Koreans are gaining market share in France because their price and warranties are competitive in an economic and legislation constrained scenario. As inthe USA youth aspiration is turning from transport to iPads and the like.
    I agree the styling freedom can get limited but this applies to almost every product. Yet still for decades manufacturers have been able to deliver different designs yet on same platforms...

Consider the Ford C1 platform... what?... I think it is used to stage more than a dozen different designs over a decade. This proves its possible. A c30 volvo is worlds apart from a focus let alone a 2012 V40.

IMO Kia can do better... not to say their designs are ugly. They are just bland... there is no pioneering design. I understand they dont have a "grand" history so the "retrospective" doesnt even exist for them.

I d just like to see more "cultural" influences rather than chasing the "universal/global" product. Yes, I understand there is a safe route from an economic standpoint... but surely, a global company this large can throw some "curve balls"...

dino

Banned

at the end of the process, it doesnt cost any more to press the same metal into a different shape, so 'good' aesthetic design need not cost $1 more.

all those odd curves and creases which make a lot of japanese cars unattractive in a cheesy sort of way could easily be ironed out and pushed into the shape of a Golf instead.

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I agree the styling freedom can get limited but this applies to almost every product. Yet still for decades manufacturers have been able to deliver different designs yet on same platforms...

Consider the Ford C1 platform... what?... I think it is used to stage more than a dozen different designs over a decade. This proves its possible. A c30 volvo is worlds apart from a focus let alone a 2012 V40.

IMO Kia can do better... not to say their designs are ugly. They are just bland... there is no pioneering design. I understand they dont have a "grand" history so the "retrospective" doesnt even exist for them.

I d just like to see more "cultural" influences rather than chasing the "universal/global" product. Yes, I understand there is a safe route from an economic standpoint... but surely, a global company this large can throw some "curve balls"...

dino
    Nice concept for them to follow, but as you alluded to they are for the "cost sensitive" area of the market.

All the bells and whistles and ground breaking design would tend too blow out the cost. Reworking other manufacturer's ideas is far cheaper.

At the moment the Kia image is improving but not there yet.

It will happen in time to come. But unlike the Japanese the Koreans don't improve of other manufacturers designs when they copy. And to my mind the Korean cars are still a throw away car after 10 years.

As an aside based the finish/build quality of my Toyota import, Toyota builds their vehicles down to the quality the local market will accept. So the Koreans probably do the same.

Kia know where they stand in the market with their reputation, at least they know that.

Working on pugs for most of my apprenticeship, I was a bit dumbfounded when it came to Kia. I couldn't understand how something so simple just...worked... Probably much the same as jap cars I suppose.

Much like the pugs, there's areas which it's obvious they've thought about for a technician when designing the car, to make life easier, but both brands have their own tricks in different areas.

For cars from both brands of similar price, the pug feels much better quality in terms of equipment and feel although I'm tempted to think the Kia would be more reliable because of its simplicity (had a few quality control issues though). Much the same as mum and dads new corolla. Doesn't feel as refined (in some areas, good build quality though) but I know it will last forever.

The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

I drove the KIA home tonight and it certainly is a real beast. Being a auto C3 owner Im just shocked at the power of this thing....LOL

I drove the KIA home tonight and it certainly is a real beast. Being a auto C3 owner Im just shocked at the power of this thing....LOL
    is that the grand carnival? they haul ass
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

Default Kia Convert!!

Quote Originally Posted by Capago View Post
    is that the grand carnival? they haul ass
    Well, someone has to go in and bat for poor Kia - so here goes!

I own five cars: 1964 Renault R8 (resto project with Father) 1968 Renault R10, Peugeot 405 Mi16 S1, Holden Berlina Vx Wagon and a 2007 Kia Grand Carnival.

The frogs are my playthings, the Berlina was our family hauler until.........child #4 (surprise!!!) came along and we needed a mini van. We looked at Tarago's Mazda MPV's etc but ended up buying the KGC and absolutely love every aspect of it, except its thirst! It is not a drivers car, it has soft suspension and rides beautifully. It can also blow away unsuspecting P Platers from the lights if needed.

The Tarago is an overpriced, inferior product IMO and the ones we looked at didn't come close to the Kia for fit and finish and the Kia drove sooo much nicer. The individually removable seats and smooth five speed auto are also bonuses, it has a bigger, deeper boot and the warranty is excellent also.

My car mad Father was so impressed by how well our Kia drove he just bought himself a brand spankers Kia Sorrento Platinum TD which also is a really nice drive.

Cheers

Anthony
    Current Frogs:

1964 Renault 8 (1289 / Sonics)
    1968 Renault 10 (Modified 1.4L Alpine White)

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    all those odd curves and creases which make a lot of japanese cars unattractive in a cheesy sort of way could easily be ironed out and pushed into the shape of a Golf instead.
    I can't stand Hyundai's current design theme. The cars are way overstyled with all their scallops and swoops and headlights back to the A-pillars. The previous generation looked ok and inoffensive. VWs for example are very plain in comparison but look classy, neat and well-proportioned.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Banned

G'Day peujohn! Korean vehicles today generally are on the same par as Japanese and European vehicles. Otherwise why would European manufacturers be holding hands with the Koreans and be getting their parts or vehicles built there? The propaganda thrown about in all forms of media regarding French, Korean, Chinese and Indian cars is simply crap thrown at us by the Germanic manufacturers, whose warranty rate is currently approaching that of the famous east German Trabant. They may have been East German, but hey, they were made in Germany!!

Kia give a 7 year warranty or 150k in Europe and they manufacture in Zilina, Slovak Republic. Renault manufacture in Korea.
    Most cars sold now are uneconomic to maintain beyond 650k or 10 years.
    Kia, like Renault and PSA are on the world stage where a global culture makes for cheaper cars and so bland is in.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Quote Originally Posted by R10S FAN View Post
    Well, someone has to go in and bat for poor Kia - so here goes!

The Tarago is an overpriced, inferior product IMO and the ones we looked at didn't come close to the Kia for fit and finish and the Kia drove sooo much nicer. The individually removable seats and smooth five speed auto are also bonuses, it has a bigger, deeper boot and the warranty is excellent also.

Anthony
    Agreed Taragos and especially the V6 are over priced . That's why I choose a low Ks V6 import Toyota Estima as an alternative.

As mentioned earlier, Toyota cars are "built" to the market they are destined for. Imports are night and day inside and outside compared to Oz vehicles. The high end vans have the Aerasu (mine is a Estima T Aerasu G 3L) and has the body and handling kit. In Japan you can order the TRD (Toyota Racing Development) aftermarket superchargers fitted at time of purchase. However these vans can't be complied in Oz due to nanny state rules. More the pity since there are lots available for sale/export in Japan.

A few years ago, when I was in my own business, we went the Kia path and purchased a Kia commercial because the Toyota commercials seemed overpriced. We sold it 12 months later, got b*gger all for it and bought a Toyota. The Kia was a disaster with failure of many small items, electrics, aircon, door central locking, indicator switches, brake disks . All under warranty but the down time was a not acceptable. The basic engine and trans was the only thing that seemed reliable unfortunately many faults can stop a vehicle driving.

I guess Kia must come of age eventually, but the Rover sourced motors in early (pre 2003?) Carnivals reliably lubricating the cooling system within Warranty and many twice whilst still in Warranty combined with Ateco's sh!t attitude to warranty service would stop me buying any Kia vehicle was new to the market.

Please let us know how the Kia Grand Carnival works out for. You never know I might buy a used one as my next car! I'm far too stingy buy any car new!

Thread Information