Europe car hire query
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Europe car hire query

Hellooo.

Advertisement

What's the ideal hire car to fang around Europe in? I need one for a month or so. Are the little pug diesels the way to go? Or should I look out for a cheap 2cv or something and just drive it til it stops.

if youre going to the UK, check out the local trading post www.loot.co.uk plenty of very cheap cars to drive til they drop (theres a going R21 Turbo for 200 quid - dont need tax and MOT to drive on the continent )
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    ...dont need tax and MOT to drive on the continent )
    I'm not sure I'm hearing you right. Is MOT like our RWC? How do you get on for 3rd party then?

MOT=RWC, yes. 3rd party insurance is hella expensive (cost us 300 quid for 6 months on our R21 wagon). You will have to ask them, as we did it with a taxed and MOTed car - found out after we could have not bothered to pay the tax as it there to buy you the privelgive of driving on UK roads only. All the continental countries will care about is that you have a green insurance card for 3rd party at least - if you can get that, tax and MOT wont really matter.
    You can always plead silly aussie tourist who doesnt have a clue...

Cal

I leased a 307 SW out of Paris for a month this year. If you need a car for long enough, this is a good deal. Some info can be found here: http://www.drivetravel.com/carlease/peugeot.shtml If you are interested to read a bit of a tale about the trip I did, see here: Goodwood, Nurburgring and trying to murder a 307 diesel!

Cheers,

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    I leased a 307 SW out of Paris for a month this year. If you need a car for long enough, this is a good deal. Some info can be found here: http://www.drivetravel.com/carlease/peugeot.shtml If you are interested to read a bit of a tale about the trip I did, see here: Goodwood, Nurburgring and trying to murder a 307 diesel!

Cheers,

Cal.
    Hey Cal - great reading about your trip. Can you tell me was the 307 wagon comfortable to sleep in? (I'm 6'2"). Do you just pull in to a camping ground for the night or what?

Nice car, and the peace of mind that if it breaks you will be rescued is nice, but thats bloody exspensive.
    Do what I did - get an old R21 wagon. We had a phase 1 1.7 litre (which was able to sit on 170 kph in Germany), but decent phase 2 models can now be had in the UK for 4 - 800 quid with tax and MOT. Very good comfortable travelling car, long enough to sleep in (we just pulled into camping grounds all over Europe) and reliable (ours had 80K miles on it, and I did 16000 km in 5 months and all I did to it was put a new thermostat in). And common if you need bits.
    And unlike a hire car, you can get most of your outlay back at the end by selling it.

Thread Information