Best places to go in Melb for a weekend
  • Help

Default Best places to go in Melb for a weekend

Guys....this is very urgent as I leave for Melbourne for a weekend (my flight leaves 8pm tonight QLD time)

WHere is one the best cafe/eateries/restaurant in Melbourne area and St Kilda?

Apparently, there is a lot cakes shop in the St Kilda region...which one should I make a pilgrimage to??

Advertisement

Where to go for night life?? (I have a friend who wants to go)

I am planning to have a nice dinner on Saturday night ...where to go the best??

Come on all you Melbournites or Melbournians, this is the time to sell your city.

Any response about Melb. is greatly appreciated

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

UFO

I reckon the ONLY cake shop to go to in St Kilda is the Monarch. However given the time and the stomach I could try many of them

That is just from a NSWelsher.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Most of the restaurants in fitzroy street st kilda are good, I go to Lionettis in Fitzroy st, its authentic italian and reasonable price with good service.

and a drive around the GP track in albert park is good too, just watch the 50k speed limit, anything over that is wayyyyyy too dangerous !!!!!!!

what about coffees??

CHeers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

Where do you want to go out? clubs ect. pm me i'll tell you where to go!

WHere is one the best cafe/eateries/restaurant in Melbourne area and St Kilda? Apparently, there is a lot cakes shop in the St Kilda region...which one should I make a pilgrimage to??
    There are so many.

My all time favorite restaurant is Yelza's, near the corner of Smith and Gertrude St's in Fitzroy. Very good food, and the best vodka martinis I've ever had. Ask for Kerri - she has short red hair and is fairly petite. She makes them best.

Back to St Kilda, park the car around Luna Park and walk up and down Ackland St. I eat at Goa, but they don't do cakes, just excellent East Timorese / Portuguese food. Cakes... they're all pretty good especially if you have Russian Jewish tastes. But if you like a bit of a mix, I love my breakfast cafe, La Dolce Vita, down in Williamstown (Nelson Place near the main roundabout opposite the tennis courts). They do excellent cakes, food, coffee. Cheap, too.

Where to go for night life?? (I have a friend who wants to go)
    Night life is definitely Chapel St. About 30+ clubs, including the gay ghetto. As long as you don't hit up the lesbians (unless you're friend is also a lesbian), you should be right to catch a drag show or two. Other night life places include Crown (urgh!) and Fitzroy.

I am planning to have a nice dinner on Saturday night ...where to go the best??
    The best? That'd be the Flowerdrum just off Little Bourke St. Expect to leave a goodly percentage of your worldly possessions in their till though - it's extremely expensive. But most of the Chinese restaurants there are truly excellent though - look for the places with the fewest Westerners and yet filled to the gills - these are the good places and are often cheap. The places where Westerners go generally have so-so food.

I like heaps of places, but one of my favorites is a little Greek place on Chapel St. I don't know it's name, but it is just up from the Jam Factory (next block) and has a red canopy over the door. Excellent tasty cakes, too. Try the baklava and a Greek coffee.

Andrew

Make sure to head to leroy on acland st in st kilda. Best damn breakfasts in melbourne.

As for nightlife - check out honkytonks, possibly the best nightspot in australia (as far as i've experienced). bugger chapel st, its full of losers. the city is where its at!

Nick

XTC

Fav two places in Melb ... Pearl (Church St, Richmond), and Asiana (Victoria Ave, Albert Park ) ... and this is from a Perthite !!!

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Sorry I missed the original post! I live around St. Kilda, so am very familiar with it all.

Where did you end up going?
    Les hurlements de lion.
    504 GL (gone)
    205 GTI Classic (gone)
    505 STI (gone)
    I can feel a GTI 180 coming on!

Guys:

Thanks for all the advices

I just got back from Melbourne and we stay at an apartment (it was cheap for the weekend) off Alma Rd, St Kilda.

I just got to say ...I love Melbourne...there are so many places to go and so many things to see. Soooo much better than Brisbane (in terms of cultural, heritage and much more)

Of course, we went to Acland St, got some cakes from Monarchs. Walked pretty much the whole of Chapel St.

Had Saturday night dinner at Lygon St, can't remember the name of the restaurant...but I hate the how the manager stands out in the streets and stop you half way and starts to brag how good their restaurant is. I prefer looking at the menu is peace.

I must say, I had many cups of coffee in the St Kilda, region and didn't had 1 cup of bad coffee accept for one which was at Brunetti's, Carlton. We went to Brunetti's after dinner for desert, but the cakes there aren't all that spectacular and the coffee there was shocking!! how can you have nice cake without a nice of coffee to go with.

We went to Luna Park as well...but we only went on the Oldest Roller Coaster in the World for its historic value. (I was surprised how bumpy that roller coaster was)

Next time if I go I will try to stay a bit longer and hopefully explore the country side and search for more good restaurants.

All in all I really enjoyed the atmosphere in St Kilda and Melbourne city. Well done Melbourne!!

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

hI billy.

Better not get any ideas of going to melbourne to live! You must like brisbanes warm climate, friendly 205 owners, golden beaches, fanastic roads. The list goes on. (no melbourne people comment thank you)

AHAHHA Nick

Quote Originally Posted by BW205
    I just got to say ...I love Melbourne...there are so many places to go and so many things to see. Soooo much better than Brisbane (in terms of cultural, heritage and much more)
    Heheh, you've seen the light

Better take care on the next Brissy Aussiefrogs event though

Had Saturday night dinner at Lygon St, can't remember the name of the restaurant...but I hate the how the manager stands out in the streets and stop you half way and starts to brag how good their restaurant is. I prefer looking at the menu is peace.
    This is quite a Lygon St thing. It is a very competitive eat street (especially for Italian food), so you often have attendants trying to get you to eat at their restaurant.

Next time if I go I will try to stay a bit longer and hopefully explore the country side and search for more good restaurants.
    Ahh, we should've got you to come to our first Aussiefrogs dinner down here on Saturday night.

All in all I really enjoyed the atmosphere in St Kilda and Melbourne city. Well done Melbourne!!
    Come down again this Sunday, we're running dinner again

Quote Originally Posted by briz205
    hI billy.

Better not get any ideas of going to melbourne to live! You must like brisbanes warm climate, friendly 205 owners, golden beaches, fanastic roads. The list goes on. (no melbourne people comment thank you)
    I will choose to politely disobey that last command

We had fantastic weather over the weekend, so good, you wouldn't even know you were in Melbourne

Fantastic roads, eh, don't speak so soon. We have some very fine roads down here.

We now have a convert!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

bad coffee at brunetti's, you serious??????

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

the road north is a bloody good spot to go to in melbourne
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas
    bad coffee at brunetti's, you serious??????
    YEP!

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

During my time in Melbourne I only managed to only saw one single 205 and that was a 205 Si not even a GTi.

I saw that at Carlisle St, St Kilda.

However, I did see A LOT of 306s , XR, Styles, XT, XSI and 2 GTi-6. One of the GTi-6 was black and the other was blue. I even managed to see a 306 with 406 Coupe wheels on I think.

How come there is so little 205 population down at Melbourne. Besides the fact that I know the 205 interior wouldn't last long given that you have to cross the tram tracks quite often.

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

Thread Information