Statutory v Economic write off.
  • Help

Default Statutory v Economic write off.

I know this has been talked obout here a bit, but I am wondering who decides if a vehicle will be stat or economic write off?
    Is it possible to argue the decision?
    Can the engine from a Stat. write off be used in another car?
    Can a car be repaired and proof given that it is safe and not a ringer, allowing it to be registered again?
    Is this a federal or state based system?
    Is there a government website with more info?

Advertisement

Sorry for the list of questions, but this has been stiffing at the back of my mind for a while now, and I want to know what is what.
    Cheers.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Anybody?
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

I'll do the best I can;
    An economic write off is usually a car that has been hit or burnt bad enough to cause more damage than is economically viable to fix.
    These often end up as panel beaters "fill in" jobs, cut 'n shuts or bought by someone with a similar car who makes "one outta two." In any case, they can be reregistered.
    Statutory write offs are usually cars that have a massive amount of what is considered irrepairable damage. Commonest ones hardest to figure, are cars that have been tailended & have bent the turretts or involved in massive head ons. Cars that have the occupants splattered all over the insides come into this as do ones that have had fires.
    The definition is that the cars are incapable of being repaired to a standard that they could be re-registered or capable of being issued with a safety certificate.
    We have one of each here; an economic & a statutory. Both had fires underbonnet. The statutory one had it get back into the cab. We can fix it, but when we approached the Transport Dept it was a case of: "can we have it approved by an engineer" - "NO!" "Can we supply proof it is the same car" - "NO!" Can we get it inspected and show that it is viable to fix - "NO!" Is there ANY way we can get it registered again once it's fixed - "NO!"

It seems that the declaring of cars in "Repairable, Economic & Statutory Write Off" is a contractural thing done by the respective State Governments who feed the info to a common Federal Data base in case the cars go Interstate. The contract is let amongst the Auction companies & I understand that Fowles have it in Queensland, whether that is Australia wide or not I'm not sure. It has been claimed by truck drivers/car carriers that this is why there's more Stat Write offs at Pickles than at Fowles but it could be just Pub talk.
    One thing I do know is that the prices they pay for Stat write offs is often far more than for an economic or repairable. I saw a Daewoo sedan, repo at Pickles make $750. It was clean, tidy not even scratched and apparently as mechanically sound as one of those things could be. A few lots later a Hyundai Excel that looked like a steam roller had run over it came up and pulled $1350 It was such a mess I couldn't even figure what brand of car it was, so I'd reckon somehow somewhere there's some shonky little backyarders who have found a way around it to "rebirth" them, but they recently found an officer from the Transport Department out supplying dodgy safety certs so it could be just a Queensland thing.

As they say "Ahhh, Queensland, beautiful one day....bribed the next."

Alan S

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I'll do the best I can;
    An economic write off is usually a car that has been hit or burnt bad enough to cause more damage than is economically viable to fix.
    These often end up as panel beaters "fill in" jobs, cut 'n shuts or bought by someone with a similar car who makes "one outta two." In any case, they can be reregistered.
    Statutory write offs are usually cars that have a massive amount of what is considered irrepairable damage. Commonest ones hardest to figure, are cars that have been tailended & have bent the turretts or involved in massive head ons. Cars that have the occupants splattered all over the insides come into this as do ones that have had fires.
    The definition is that the cars are incapable of being repaired to a standard that they could be re-registered or capable of being issued with a safety certificate.
    We have one of each here; an economic & a statutory. Both had fires underbonnet. The statutory one had it get back into the cab. We can fix it, but when we approached the Transport Dept it was a case of: "can we have it approved by an engineer" - "NO!" "Can we supply proof it is the same car" - "NO!" Can we get it inspected and show that it is viable to fix - "NO!" Is there ANY way we can get it registered again once it's fixed - "NO!"

It seems that the declaring of cars in "Repairable, Economic & Statutory Write Off" is a contractural thing done by the respective State Governments who feed the info to a common Federal Data base in case the cars go Interstate. The contract is let amongst the Auction companies & I understand that Fowles have it in Queensland, whether that is Australia wide or not I'm not sure. It has been claimed by truck drivers/car carriers that this is why there's more Stat Write offs at Pickles than at Fowles but it could be just Pub talk.
    One thing I do know is that the prices they pay for Stat write offs is often far more than for an economic or repairable. I saw a Daewoo sedan, repo at Pickles make $750. It was clean, tidy not even scratched and apparently as mechanically sound as one of those things could be. A few lots later a Hyundai Excel that looked like a steam roller had run over it came up and pulled $1350 It was such a mess I couldn't even figure what brand of car it was, so I'd reckon somehow somewhere there's some shonky little backyarders who have found a way around it to "rebirth" them, but they recently found an officer from the Transport Department out supplying dodgy safety certs so it could be just a Queensland thing.

As they say "Ahhh, Queensland, beautiful one day....bribed the next."

Alan S
    Alan,

if I had the early series I 16vavler that can't be re-registered. I'd simply find myself a shitty 16trs auto, as a parts car and have them accidently 'swap' there number while the cars are in your backyard. There's not a hope in hell the RTA guys are going to know the difference. Escpecialy if you swap the body badging

seeya,
    shane L
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

That's not a problem.
    The VIN numbers and engine number is what is kept on the Federal database & by swapping as you suggest just simply means that you have a Trs with a 16V mechanicals.
    If you put the VIN number onto the Trs they will pick it up immediately you go to register it and in the form you suggest, it then becomes necessary to obtain a blue mod tag with the original Trs VIN number shown.
    The whole idea of registering details of Stat Write offs is to prevent people doing exactly what you've suggested & is why all regos have to pass through the database regardless of which State they're in.

Alan S

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    That's not a problem.
    The VIN numbers and engine number is what is kept on the Federal database & by swapping as you suggest just simply means that you have a Trs with a 16V mechanicals.
    If you put the VIN number onto the Trs they will pick it up immediately you go to register it and in the form you suggest, it then becomes necessary to obtain a blue mod tag with the original Trs VIN number shown.
    The whole idea of registering details of Stat Write offs is to prevent people doing exactly what you've suggested & is why all regos have to pass through the database regardless of which State they're in.

Alan S
    Alan,

what I mean is simply put the engine number & VIN of the 16trs onto the 16valver. The trs becomes a parts car that is never registered again ...

The 16valver to all intents & purposes then becames a 1600trs. They really aren't going to know the difference. It's a citroen, not a commonbore.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information