50 most influential cars - 1953 - 2003
  • Help

Default 50 most influential cars - 1953 - 2003

Today I bought my first Wheels magazine for at least a year.

They have an article on the most influential cars of the last 50 years.

Now we can always disagree in fine detail, but the first 5, in order, as judged by the panel, were:

1. Range Rover

2. Mini

3. Citroen DS

4. Audi Quattro

5. Renault 16.

There were 45 others, which included the Peugeots 403 and 404 well down the list, but there none the less.

As one who has can clearly remember being in love with the DS since I was about 8 (in 1957!!) and in love with the 16 since 1965 (and a current owner), I reckon they've not done badly. We could argue that the 306 is damn good, but remember that the title is "influential", which is pretty unusual for a modern car mag. Not most powerful, most popular, most trendy etc, but most influential.

Anyway, I reckon they've lifted their game for a change.

JohnW

Advertisement

JohnW

Where on the list are Golf or Alfasud? I think they should be top 10 for sure. Can you be bothered typing the whole list, cos I'm not too keen to buy the mag for philosophical reasons.

XTC

Interesting to read the difference from a Canadian Magazine ... of course it's US cars ...

- XTC206 -

The ten vehicles are:

BMW 2002: Introduced in 1968, the BMW 2002 " laid the groundwork for the modern sports sedan," said the magazine. "The successful 2002 is the grandfather of the current BMW 3-Series, a car that other automakers have been trying to emulate for years."

Chevrolet Corvette: Introduced in 1953, the Corvette "..set the tone for future American sports cars." "The Vette's influence can be seen in a variety of models--from the 1955 Ford Thunderbird to today's Dodge Viper."

Chrysler Caravan and Voyager: The 1984 Chrysler minivans provided the inspiration for today's minivans, said Consumer Reports.

Ford F-Series pickup: "In 1982, it was one of the first trucks to outsell any passenger car in the U.S., and it has been the highest-selling vehicle ever since, as well as the best-selling truck for the last 26 years."

Ford Taurus: The 1986 Taurus was a "groundbreaking design for a mainstream family sedan," said the magazine. "The Taurus popularized the design and initiated an era of aerodynamic styling that is prevalent today."

Ford Mustang: The 1964 1/2 Mustang was a "sleek, inexpensive sports coupe that gave birth to the 'pony car' segment." "The upcoming 2005 Mustang is being redesigned with cues from the '60s versions."

Jeep Cherokee: The 1984 four-door Jeep Cherokee "was one of the catalysts in the transformation of the sport-utility vehicle from a niche 4x4 truck to an everyday family vehicle," said Consumer Reports.

Toyota RAV4: As the first car-based sport-utility vehicle, the RAV4, "initiated a new movement in SUV design that has since become the fastest-growing segment in the auto market."

VW Rabbit: The Rabbit "popularized the small front-wheel-drive hatchback design, which became prevalent in the '70s....and was the first vehicle from an import manufacturer to be built in the U.S., a practice now common with many foreign-based automakers."

VW Beetle: When the Beetle was introduced in the U.S. in the late 50's, "it was the humble beginning of the import invasion that changed the face of America's auto market," said the magazine.
    Last edited by XTC206; 30th November 2003 at 10:37 AM.
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts

Warwick the Golf was in there, and the Alfasaud had an explanatory note as to why it was not included.
    Tim

2016 Lexus RX450h

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    Warwick the Golf was in there, and the Alfasaud had an explanatory note as to why it was not included.
    I guess there'll always be anomalies - I'd have put the Alfasud in for sure, ahead of many things listed in the top 50. But their rationale is clear. Fancy leaving out the Renault Espace, for example. The VW beetle predates 1953, and was a blind alley design anyway.....

Warwick - sorry mate, really haven't time for that.

Cheers

John

i remember reading another thread, were some of those cars came up but so did the cit Ds.... hmmm - chris

For me, the most influential carssssss are the late 70's early 80's Jap cars..... most other manufacturers are still playing catch up to Toyota in world wide sales and popularity terms...
    ... ptui!

Thread Information