Real Big Brother Stuff - spooky....
  • Help
    UFO

Icon9 Real Big Brother Stuff - spooky....

Chip implant gets cash under your skin

By Declan McCullagh, Special to ZDNet
    26 November 2003

Radio frequency identification tags aren't just for pallets of goods in supermarkets anymore.

Applied Digital Solutions of Palm Beach, Florida, is hoping that Americans can be persuaded to implant RFID chips under their skin to identify themselves when going to a cash machine or in place of using a credit card. The surgical procedure, which is performed with local anaesthetic, embeds a 12-by-2.1mm RFID tag in the flesh of a human arm.

ADS Chief Executive Scott Silverman, in a speech at the ID World 2003 conference in Paris last Friday, said his company had developed a "VeriPay" RFID technology and was hoping to find partners in financial services firms.

Matthew Cossolotto, a spokesman for ADS who says he's been "chipped," argues that competing proposals to embed RFID tags in key fobs or cards were flawed. "If you lose the RFID key fob or if it's stolen, someone else could use it and have access to your important accounts," Cossolotto said. "VeriPay solves that problem. It's subdermal and very difficult to lose. You don't leave it sitting in the backseat of the taxi."

RFID tags are miniscule microchips, which some manufacturers have managed to shrink to half the size of a grain of sand. They listen for a radio query and respond by transmitting a unique ID code, typically a 64-bit identifier yielding about 18 thousand trillion possible values. Most RFID tags have no batteries. They use the power from the initial radio signal to transmit their response.

When embedded in human bodies, RFID tags raise unique security concerns. First, because they broadcast their ID number, a thief could rig up his or her own device to intercept and then rebroadcast the signal to an automatic teller machine. Second, sufficiently dedicated thieves may try to slice the tags out of their victims.

"We do hear concerns about this from a privacy point of view," Cossolotto said. "Obviously, the company wants to do all it can to protect privacy. If you don't want it anymore...you can go to a doctor and have it removed. It's not something I would recommend people do at home. I call it an opt-out feature."

Chris Hoofnagle, a lawyer at the Electronic Privacy Information Center, said implanted RFID tags cause an additional worry. "When your bank card is compromised, all you have to do is make a call to the issuer," Hoofnagle said. "In this case, you have to make a call to a surgeon.

"It doesn't make sense to go from a card, which is controlled by an individual, to a chip, which you cannot control."

ADS shares have slid from a high of about US$12 in 2000 to 40 cents, and the company is now fighting to stay listed on the Nasdaq. "Our common stock did not regain the minimum bid price requirement and on Oct. 28, 2003, the Nasdaq Stock Market informed us by letter that our securities would be delisted from the SmallCap," ADS said in a Nov. 14 filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The company also warned that its implantable microchips are manufactured solely by Raytheon without a "formal written agreement," and any price increases or supply disruptions would have serious negative consequences. MasterCard has been testing an RFID technology called PayPass. It looks like any other credit card but is outfitted with an RFID tag that lets it be read by a receiver instead of scanned through a magnetic stripe. "We're certainly looking at designs like key fobs," MasterCard Vice President Art Kranzley told USA Today last week. "It could be in a pen or a pair of earrings. Ultimately, it could be embedded in anything--someday, maybe even under the skin." ADS is running a special promotion, urging Americans to "get chipped." The first 100,000 people to sign up will receive a US$50 discount.

Probably what they also neglect to mention are things like:

Your employer having scanners all over the place to track where you are
    The "government" doing the same
    and a WHOLE shitload of other things

Advertisement
    Last edited by UFO; 27th November 2003 at 09:50 AM.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I heard about this a few years ago but the joker telling me was big on conspiracy theories so I just tried to keep as straight a face as I could whilst he went into raptures about it.

The big problem is there's so many people these days whose idea of questioning authority is when told to jump, ask "how high?" and too few ready to tell them to get stuffed!!

Alan S

Icon6

I have to agree with Alan. We as Australians are a complacent bunch. We just seem to put up with more and more crap from those in authority and who legislate. We are so used to being reamed that it seems normal now. We say,"Oh well! Another new law to stop me doing what I enjoy or limit my existence to some extent," and we do nothing about it. I must admit I don't know what can be done if anything. Perhaps if we all stopped watching telly and reading newspapers?

It is interesting to compare what we could do back in the 60's and 70's to what we can get away with now. For example, cracker night. It's gone. The only license you needed back then was one for a car! There are so many others, I could write an essay on it.

Craig, it is possible we are all implanted already!

I'll stop whinging now.

Ralph.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

On the radio today (Bris 4BC) the subject came up about surveys being conducted using fear tactics. Not sure if it's happening in other states.

A rep (from the govenment?) shows up at your house unannounced & instructs you to partake in their survey. Refusal will lead to prosecution, hearing $100 per day per person in the household

They are asking questions which were similary worded from the census, including income. They want to see reciepts for purchases, including Mortgage documents.

What really stinks is that you MUST drop everything & do the survey on the spot. One couple were in the middle of moving in, removalist truck still in driveway, too bad

What is this crap?

Easy for me to say now but I'd be tempted tell them to ram his rahjah.

Even worse is they call you every 2 weeks asking more questions.

Just out of curiosity; did they say what happens when this tool disappears??
    If he turns up on my doorstep, I'll tell you.

Alan S

Quote Originally Posted by gibgib
    On the radio today (Bris 4BC) the subject came up about surveys being conducted using fear tactics. Not sure if it's happening in other states.

A rep (from the govenment?) shows up at your house unannounced & instructs you to partake in their survey. Refusal will lead to prosecution, hearing $100 per day per person in the household

They are asking questions which were similary worded from the census, including income. They want to see reciepts for purchases, including Mortgage documents.

What really stinks is that you MUST drop everything & do the survey on the spot. One couple were in the middle of moving in, removalist truck still in driveway, too bad

What is this crap?

Easy for me to say now but I'd be tempted tell them to ram his rahjah.

Even worse is they call you every 2 weeks asking more questions.
    Surely this can't be true. Perhaps it's people masquerading as government officials? There are some very sneaky people/organisations out there.

JG.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    I have to agree with Alan. We as Australians are a complacent bunch. We just seem to put up with more and more crap from those in authority and who legislate. We are so used to being reamed that it seems normal now. We say,"Oh well! Another new law to stop me doing what I enjoy or limit my existence to some extent," and we do nothing about it. I must admit I don't know what can be done if anything. Perhaps if we all stopped watching telly and reading newspapers?

It is interesting to compare what we could do back in the 60's and 70's to what we can get away with now. For example, cracker night. It's gone. The only license you needed back then was one for a car! There are so many others, I could write an essay on it.
    \

I agree absolutely. It's the flip side of the "She'll be right, mate" Australian mentality. Australians really don't g!ve a shit about anything political, and also the cosy little 2 party system, those are the reasons so many goverments can get away with so much, because Aussies just shrug their shoulders and go down to the beach.

I'm trying not to get political, but did you guys know that some of the tough legislation passed in recent months (so called "anti terror" laws) is even tougher and crazier than what's even been contemplated, let alone been attempted or actually been put into place, in the US? ASIO has acquired some very, very scary powers in the last year or two, and yet nobody even knows/cares.

JG.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Keep the conspiracies rolling I say.... www.rense.com is essential surfing for the budding conspiracy theorist. Some of it can make you think twice about the "truth" as she is writ...some of it is basically wacko...but if you have an interest most of it is worth looking at.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Just out of curiosity; did they say what happens when this tool disappears??
    If he turns up on my doorstep, I'll tell you.

Alan S
    They are on about it again right now. Amazing stuff.
    Chris Adams 4BC, 3 - 6 PM qld time. You can listen live..

http://www.4bc.com.au/drive/pages/de...9&menu_id=154#

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gibgib
    They are on about it again right now. Amazing stuff.
    Chris Adams 4BC, 3 - 6 PM qld time. You can listen live..

http://www.4bc.com.au/drive/pages/de...9&menu_id=154#
    Bugger, with my extreme tactfullness that I'm always being told about I can see they'll be doing my interview from the cop shop I couldn't give a flying firetruck who they are, if they think they can turn up on my doorstep demanding to know this sort of stuff, can you imagine what my reply would be ..... Really, you don't need much of an imagination...

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Probably what they also neglect to mention are things like:
    Your employer having scanners all over the place to track where you are. The "government" doing the same and a WHOLE shitload of other things
    I'd say they can implant these chips - you know where !!! Chip my dog or cat, but be damned if I'll get one !!

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts

I think this sort of thing is terrrific.

Before the introduction of legislation let the POLITICIANS conduct a TWO OR MORE YEAR TRIAL with THEMSELVES as the recipients of this wonderful technology.

To go one step further microchip their TAYPAYER FUNDED VEHICLES so that each time they pass a microchipped speed sensor they automatically receive a PERSONALISED penalty notice!!!!

Just think no more rorts on their travelling allowances (RIP Mal!) and honesty of openess in Government.(Hah!!)

But how long would it take for the excuses to start rolling in - The machine malfunctioned - I visited a constituant with a problem at that massage parlour! - Someone else used my body!! - Autonomism - sleepwalking - innocent mistake- I didn't dun it, honestly I didn't!!- Its a communist (or any other) plot to smear my reputation!- I was abducted by aliens and made to do it! - Its my mum's fault! - I was just trying to test the system - Who me, I deny it! - Foot slipped on the accellarator when trying to avoid a dog (cat) (wombat) (Kangaroo) - I was saving a life-

On second thoughts a FIVE YEAR TRIAL would just about get all the bugs out of the system to the satisfaction of ALL, or they could just S crap the whole thing from the start!!!!!!!!!!!

What was the Australian Democrats saying - Quote "Keep the bastards honest"!!!!

Ken

Only in the USA.....

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Only in the USA.....
    They (the US) are reading your e-mail now anyway ....

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Thread Information