What car magazine do you like best?
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default What car magazine do you like best?

What does everyone read and enjoy??
    I only bother with British CAR magazine. Excellent writing standards, colourful, imaginative and written by people that love cars. Sometimes it does get a little too pro-British for comfort. MaxPower was a fun little British rag for a while. Haven't seen it lately. Haven't looked either.
    I hate the Aussie magazines. Unimaginative single minded journo's focussing on crap cars. We've all seen the headlines!
    " We hot lap the new Magna auto."
    "Sideways in the new 300kw 20 foot barge."
    "Car of the year. Ford. Holden. Holden. Holden."

Advertisement

Bad writing is just bad writing. I haven't read a good Aussie car mag. article since Bill Tuckey went wherever he went.
    Aussie journo's seem obsessed with power, and equating value with power. Except if its a BMW; they seem to get away with it. But French and Italian cars cop it in spades. Every article about these cars you hear words like: 'quirky', 'questionable resale', 'driving position', 'expensive','la differance', and all the other cliche's they drag out. Gets boring doesn't it. I wish I could read French. Their magazines look real good. Like quattroruote from Italy.

rek

EVO

(this sentence is here as a reply must be at least 5 characters)
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

I'm not really sure which one I like best - I read a variety of car magazines for different reasons. Here are a few in particular that I like:

* Autocar - probably my favourite, it's got a good middle blend style for me (ie. between a consumer/ownership focus & an enthusiast's focus). I find I really do agree with a lot of what they write.

* What Car? - very consumer orientated but very comprehensive too. The reviews feel very real world and relevant to me.

* Auto Bild - I've read nothing on this planet that can beat this German magazine for sheer thoroughness in reviewing. The stats these guys come up with are damn impressive too.

Top Gear, CAR & Auto Express can also be interesting reads, but I'd say Autocar is a better UK weekly than Auto Express. I found Top Gear's comment that the 307 had a better sorted out chassis than the Focus interesting a little strange though. When you've driven the cars they're talking about, you know who's been paid off or is just a suck for a certain brand, or who thinks like you.

I read a little bit of Evo (done by the same mob as Auto Express, some of the articles actually seem like Auto Express ones rewritten when you look at the authors), Car & Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend, Auto Motor und Sport, NZ Autocar once in a while (actually I reckon it's not a bad read, gee they're lucky with the roads they can choose down south). The car design magazine, Auto & Design is an interesting read (or look?), quite pricey though - over $40 an issue. It's printed on very high quality paper.

I've had a look at the French car magazine we get here which is very cheap. Doesn't look that interesting though (but I suspect it's the genre of car they write about). The Italian magazines look interesting, but are hard to find now.

In regards to the local magazines, I used to like Motor (or back when it was Modern Motor), then I moved to Wheels, but I felt they've declined a little compared to a few years ago. Still I'd say that in a few reviews I've read, whilst I may not agree with the verdict, I do find myself nodding to quite a few comments (the Focus, 307, Golf & Corolla review is an excellent example). Their comments about the C3's Sensodrive system also struck a chord with me too. So I can't write them off completely. Sometimes we disagree, but I can tell when they're not writing crap.

I think the attitude towards French cars is changing - look at the way the local media have fallen in love with the Clio. Wheels and Motor bloody adore it. I don't buy all of the generalised comments mentioned, such as 'quirky', 'questionable resale', 'driving position', 'expensive','la differance'. Wheels actually praised the 307 for its value and knocked the Corolla for the same reason (and Toyota's the one that bought 10,000 copies of Wheels - they spend a hellava lot more with ACP than Peugeot), they've gone on about how it's up with the best of its class for resale. The 206 has crappy driving position so that's fair play. The only one I'll pay is "Le difference", but it seems every review involving a French car has to have a "Le something", "oui", "non" or "derriere" mentioned somewhere in the article.

One thing I hate - when magazines contradict themselves, changing their mind about something. I could've written to Wheels a few times about things like that.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick2
    What does everyone read and enjoy??
    I used to subscribe to Wheels and buy the occasional Car or Evo. But other then the pretty pictures there is not much in these that I hadn't read previously on the Internet.

Wheels become a 2 horse race (2 horses I don't give a toss about .. a bit like the Bathurst 1000 now). And their testing is questionable (did someone say check-book journalism ).

I don't buy any motor magazines anymore.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I don't buy any, there's plenty to read on the net.
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

"practical classics" & "car"....

What websites do you read on the net? I read as much as I can of Automotive News without paying subscription.

Car is probably my most preferrred UK mag. I used to get Top Gear quite a bit, but it's not as good as it used to be. AutoCar can be really up and down, and they've been caught out be stretching the truth over "first test drive" articles. Evo is a good read, but I make sure there is something I want to read in it before I buy it.

Wheels is a decent mag, a bit up and down sometimes. They make mistakes, such as the Alfa Twin Spark engine being a 1950s engine, when it isn't, and regardless of how many people have written in, they've never retracted the comments. It's a better mag than Motor, but both lack some decent content, some of their articles can be significantly longer, especially with all of the effort they go through to do BFYB or COTY/PCOTY. Motor have written some interesting articles, like driving across Australia in an EL XR8, it brought back a lot of memories of that drive.

Autocar NZ is a GREAT magazine. I've never seen it in newsagents here, but whenever I'm in NZ I'll pick up a couple issues. It's a great magazine, lots of content, great pics, and quite relevant to cars we can get in Oz. It's the best magazine out there, IMO. I should probably just shell out the Overseas subscription for it, but I've baulked at the cost.

1000+ Posts

I have every Wheels issue since December '96. So I sort of feel obligated to keep it going... I think its an OK magazine. I like CAR also, and Autocar.

Justin, magazines contradict themselves all the time because different testers drive the same cars and, naturally, can have different opinions. E.g. in Wheels, Carey seems to be the only person who tests Magnas, probably because he likes them. Were one of the other staffers to drive it, then they may have a different opinion published.

I miss all the automotive industry info Wheels used to have, and the "We hear..." section in CAR. I am interested in the auto industry, just as much as the cars they produce (just another product at the end of the day).

Motor has had more incarnations than Michael Jacksons nose, and with similar results I think. Its horrible to read, although it does make me laugh sometimes...
    Tim

2016 Lexus RX450h

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    Justin, magazines contradict themselves all the time because different testers drive the same cars and, naturally, can have different opinions. E.g. in Wheels, Carey seems to be the only person who tests Magnas, probably because he likes them. Were one of the other staffers to drive it, then they may have a different opinion published.
    I disagree with that statement, I can't really say I've seen that many large inconsistencies in other publications and I do read quite a few. It just reflects poorly on the magazine, IMHO.

One example that pops to mind. In COTY, Wheels lambasted the S60 for something like slow, dull engines. Yet, in their review of the 2.4 20V, vs the C180, 318i & 9-5, what did they say?

You read right. Check the figures. In a straight line, the Volvo monsters its rivals. An impressive engine, this sporty sounding 2.4-litre in-line five not only qualifies the S60 as an ultra low emissions vehicle (ULEV) in the USA, but generates plenty of power and isn't short of torque either. Its lusty performance owes partial debt to the twin-cam, 20-valve cake being iced with continuously variable valve timing (CVVT) for the inlet camshaft.

...splendid five-cylinder 2.4 engine with its exceptional blend of performance and fuel economy.
    Sluggy, boring & dull performance, eh?

That's chalk & cheese, and by the way we're talking about the base engine here, normally aspirated, not a turbo in sight. I'm sorry, but it's really hard to get comments at the opposite end of the scale for performance, plus you have numbers to quantify it - numbers which can tell you overtaking performance, engine flexibility, standing start performance, etc. On all of these, the car performed well.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC

Justin ... we know you want a Volvo - go forth and seek

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Most Australian publications are tainted by pressure from advertisers because simply, they need the car makers more than the car makers need them.

Look at any Australian publication, and you'll find they love Fords, Holdens, BMWs and Subarus. Look at who gives the most advertising dollars. Oh look, it's the same 4.

JG.
    Care factor = -273.15ºC

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    I disagree with that statement, I can't really say I've seen that many large inconsistencies in other publications and I do read quite a few. It just reflects poorly on the magazine, IMHO.

One example that pops to mind. In COTY, Wheels lambasted the S60 for something like slow, dull engines. Yet, in their review of the 2.4 20V, vs the C180, 318i & 9-5, what did they say?
    LOL

Yeah, the ovlov had some heady performance competition in the C180, 318 and 9-5......

I'm sure the C180, 318 and 9-5 weren't high on the list of cars the s60 was being compared to when it was considered for COTY.....

Somehow I this particular example is probably more related to perspective than outright inconsistancies......

I can think of a few occasions where cars have been reviewed very well in isolation and have subsequently performed poorly when against their peers.......and vice-versa

I do agree about the whole Wheels "car of the issue" deal though (and their selective memories)......the Magna is the greatest car ever....no the Foulcan is .....no the commondoor

They're also rediculously "ocker"......I remember sending one to the US so some friends could get an idea of the v8 barges we get here, and I had to translate half the Mag for them

My favorite mags performance BMW, F1 Racing and Evo there was a nice September inside it Renault Clio Cup, Clio 172 and V6 255. What’s wrong with BMW, I hate Ford, Holden (Try hard car people who cherish it think its the best in the world and its all about POWER!), Subaru (They think its all in the 2.0 Turbo boxer engine.) and TOYOTA!!!!

Every second TV commercial is a F#$@%*! TOYOTA!! Run Out Sale!
    Renault Sport Clio 172.

Yeh, i read CAR. Real nice fotography and good articles make the $10.95 worth it!

Cya STalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by DTwo
    LOL

Yeah, the ovlov had some heady performance competition in the C180, 318 and 9-5......
    And they were the equivalent models from the Germans and the other Swede. So the 2.4 went well against its own competitors - better acceleration, lower fuel burn, can't complain with that.

I'm sure the C180, 318 and 9-5 weren't high on the list of cars the s60 was being compared to when it was considered for COTY.....

Somehow I this particular example is probably more related to perspective than outright inconsistancies......
    So lets change the perspective to include the whole model range. If the car has better acceleration than its direct competitors at each of the individual engine levels, then it can hardly have "dull, slow, etc engines".

You'll struggle to find German competitors that'll match the T5 or 2.5T for performance at the same price level (ie. dealing with equivalents here). Whether it be outright acceleration off the line or overtaking in gear performance, the S60 will beat them. What else does the car need to do to have better engine performance.

So, if you don't compare it against its competitors, what do you compare it with in COTY then? Because if you use irrelevant benchmarks, then it's about as fair as comparing a C3 with an S3 and then lambasting the C3 for being slow, despite the fact you could buy three of them for the price of an S3.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

And they were the equivalent models from the Germans and the other Swede. So the 2.4 went well against its own competitors - better acceleration, lower fuel burn, can't complain with that.

So lets change the perspective to include the whole model range. If the car has better acceleration than its direct competitors at each of the individual engine levels, then it can hardly have "dull, slow, etc engines".

You'll struggle to find German competitors that'll match the T5 or 2.5T for performance at the same price level (ie. dealing with equivalents here). Whether it be outright acceleration off the line or overtaking in gear performance, the S60 will beat them. What else does the car need to do to have better engine performance.

So, if you don't compare it against its competitors, what do you compare it with in COTY then? Because if you use irrelevant benchmarks, then it's about as fair as comparing a C3 with an S3 and then lambasting the C3 for being slow, despite the fact you could buy three of them for the price of an S3.
    Aren't COTY competitors compared against each other to a certain degree?
    regardless of their original, intended market segment (hopefully they supposedly already lead their market segment) ?.....

Obviously cars such as the mighty p76, nimbus, Camira, VN toiletdoor, r12? (i think won didn't it? ) etc etc are all in remarkably different classes.....
    Much as say the, 307 vs the XM in the Euro COTY.......

Cars are compared to each other regardless of their class in COTY stakes.....obviously their original class is taken into consideration when performance is compared......

Cars are compared to each other regardless of their class in COTY stakes.....obviously their original class is taken into consideration when performance is compared......
    And a 6.8s 0-100km/h wasn't good enough?

You could put that level of performance in COTY this year and it'd still be competitive.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

And a 6.8s 0-100km/h wasn't good enough?

You could put that level of performance in COTY this year and it'd still be competitive.
    To win COTY?.....or to be considered a good engine?/car?

You're right though, if it performs so well yet still is dismissed by the media, the rest of the car must suck pretty badly eh? :>

Things like supercharged v6 commondoors go very well.....you won't find too many people praising the engine though .........perhaps they were criticizing other aspects or the way in which it went about this dazzling performance?

I must admit though I'm not familiar with the details of this considerable slight against ovlovs excellent reputation for producing the finest in engine technology and performance........(ie the COTY write up and subsequent S60 vs anything-with-a-smaller-engine-it-can-beat-in-a-straight-line from Germany articles)

To be honest, in a french car forum, i have a hard time giving a damn about volvo, to be honest

I'll happily concede that Wheels often have their heads up their backsides though

Cal

"Motorsport" pity it costs $15.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Does Anyone get Max Power... i've been told they focus on the euro stuff, so there is generally some peugeot stuff in there... i guess there might be some ren or cit stuff if you're lucky
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

To win COTY?.....or to be considered a good engine?/car?
    My quibble is with their comments on the engine and what they said simply doesn't stack up.

Things like supercharged v6 commondoors go very well.....you won't find too many people praising the engine though .........perhaps they were criticizing other aspects or the way in which it went about this dazzling performance?
    The engines are smooth, have torque curves flatter than the Nullabor and good economy. Turbo lag isn't an issue in the low pressure turbos either.

subsequent S60 vs anything-with-a-smaller-engine-it-can-beat-in-a-straight-line from Germany articles)
    Gee, it did bloody well to use less fuel than them too, despite being a larger car too! As I said - faster acceleration, lower fuel burn - how can you complain?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Icon5 Fav mags aye?

.... well i wont bore you with all of them. But the relevant ones are, EVO, Le GTi(spanish version), MAX, F1Racing, AMN, OzKart and alot of "other" car mags that i pick up for referals or learn from.... well try to. :> -Chris

PS, as for a good alternative read i like to read FutureMusic and Black&White.
    ... ptui!

I reckon that most journals, in english or whatever language are preety much ******eresque....a tug with both hands to put it in another way.

Some of the Classic car mags are better than that, but the rest of the crop really stinks if chequebook or kickback journalism.

Scuim of the earth really.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

..unless they feature scantily or less than scantily clad attractive younger women.

Damien made me say that.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

theres a magazine call GTI performance french tuning mag, its a hard mag to get but the everything in the mag is frehch and theirs alot of websites for the only problem that not all news shops have that mag and its around $13
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information