Moving to Australia!!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default Moving to Australia!!

Hi all

im looking to move away from NZ next year in about may or sooner ,and am wondereing where a good place to move to will be ,esp sice i need to find a job before i move.

somewhere where there is a tv station ,or some sort of appliance store would be fine for working,

and the other big question, will i be able to bring my Mi16 across??

Advertisement
    Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

nJm

I say Melbourne, but then again I'm biased .

What sort of climate do you like? Melbourne is often criticised for its weather but I actually don't mind it. It is rare for it to get really humid, unlike further up north. In the city winter might get as cold as 10 degrees, and it has been known for the odd summer day to get up to 43. But it is usually a dry heat so it isn't too bad.

I've never lived in another city, but have visited. I like Sydney a lot, but it has a very different atmosphere to Melbourne. If possible I suggest you come out here for a quick holiday and have a look around....
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

XTC

Lots of plus' and minus' both ways.

Syd, Melb - largest cities means:
    - more jobs (but more people competeing for jobs)
    - higher professional wages (OK if you get a job in the first place - cost of living is higher)
    - more houses for sale/rent (prices are extremely high)
    - more shopping opportunities (gotta have the money to spend in the first place)
    - more entertainment (Grand Prix, Australia Open, AFL and Rugby, Arts and Festivals)
    - more people (do you like crowded trains ? - peak hour traffic? - a bit unpersonal)
    - more public transport (you have to move people somehow - they can't drive)
    - 3kph tollerance on speed fines.
    - More pug/cit/ren owners, more AF cruises
    - Weather can sux

Per, Ade - smaller cities means:
    - less jobs (but less people competeing for jobs)
    - less houses for sale/rent (prices are very very reasonable though)
    - less entertainment (unless you love the outdoors, surfing, riding, sailing, any water sport).
    - less people (peak hour traffic - what is THAT?, friendly open people)
    - wider tollerance on speed fines, less speed cameras, no fixed ones.
    - less public transport options (Adelaide shuts down after 6pm - that's a joke)
    - No tolls on roadways, tunnels and bridges.
    - Isolated from east coast - long way accross (esp. Perth)
    - Less pug/cit/ren owners and service agents.
    - Weather is great (even if sometimes a tad warm)

I'm sure there is dozens of things that people can add, but ultimately it'll be where the work is.

- XTC206 -
    Last edited by XTC206; 25th November 2003 at 11:34 AM.
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Guys,

can't really stand Melbourne myself (it's nice to visit, but it's best view is in my rear vision mirror ), I quite like Adelaide. I've always lived in Ballarat, so I obviously like smaller towns, Geelong would be a good place to live in, as would Bendigo (I think). Further north in NSW there's a lot of nice places, though I'd give the Bigger citys a big miss... Up into QLD the weather is getting to bloody hot and humid, great to visit, but I don't like humid weather.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

nJm

To be honest I've always thought Melbourne was quite small. You can get from one side of the CBD to the other in 15 minutes on the tram. I will go out on a limb here and say Melbourne has better public transport than Sydney. Despite all the stuff about ticket problems, our trains and trams are fantastic. We only have one type of e-tag for the tollways (I think sydney is working on this).

I love Melbourne because you do get a half decent sized city, yet it only takes 40 minutes to either drive down to the coast (the peninsular has the beautiful, if slightly commercial Sorrento, Mornington and Portsea) or up to the hills (Dandenongs etc).

House prices in Sydney are ridiculous, although Melbourne isn't really that far behind these days.

It depends what your scene is. The feeling I've got is that Melbourne has more of the 'cafe culture', wereas Sydney focuses on the water/beaches etc.

As I said, you should try and take a quick tip out here and have a look for yourself.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Fellow Frogger!

I have to say Bankstown

Plenty of culture
    Never a dull moment
    Cheap shopping if you pay cash
    Constant traffic light drags
    Close to all those weekly shootings

PS. I can bag the area I live there

Seriously though depends on the type of life you live coming from NZ, can I say Tasmania

1000+ Posts

Like any city, the level and quality of amenities in Melbourne depends upon where you live.

Sure the inner east has awesome public transport, cafe culture etc etc etc. But then again its not a cheap area to live in.

Out west, where things are cheaper, the 'burbs are far less well catered for really. Then again I'm an inner east snob so what would I know?

What sort of work are you looking for? How important it is to have everything sorted BEFORE you arrive kind of depends on the work your after, I guess?

Do you have any relatives over here? Probably the best way to get started?
    Tim

2013 BMW 320i Touring M-Sport xDrive (Estoril Blue)

Thought all kiwis moved to Bondi and then decided where to go? Funny that you're asking before you move over, how rare! OK, in all seriousness, now.

As has been said already, it really depends what you do for work. The job market is better in Sydney for highly skilled professionals than the other cities. It can be a bit impersonal, but it is a great city, very pretty. Lots of different food, but less organised events than Melbourne. I think it's mainly the harbour that distracts us here, but we don't tend to attend sporting or arts events nearly as much in Melbourne. Could be the weather too, Melbourne has more drizzly days than Sydney so it lends itself to a culture of cafes, good food and art...similar to Wellington, I guess.

Sydney is very expensive to live in and is a very large city compared to NZ. It has 3.8 million people in it, the greater Sydney area, including Campbelltown and the Central Coast would be more than the population of NZ. To give you an idea, my flatmate and I pay around $1600 per month for a 2 bedroom apartment in the inner city. On your own, you'd be looking at around $1100 a week, so you'd have to find someone to share with if you want to live close to the city.

My personal pick would be Perth. It's a great town and has beaches. South of Perth is just sensational.
    Last edited by GTI124; 25th November 2003 at 04:38 PM.

I'm in a 3Brm house $160pw, 2km from station 20min train ride to city. I'm on my own If you choose Melbourne, take no notice of the Bullsh1t, nsw dwellers go on with, about our weather it's simply not true. Pm me if you need temp accomodation in Melbourne.
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

Icon7

Hi all,

What about a regional centre. You sort of get the best of both worlds. I live and work in Wodonga. Plenty of shops, there's a tv station based here (Prime). 5 hours to Sydney and 3 to Melbourne. Not a bad place but too many people! Lots o nice Peugeots! We just got back from 4 days in Melbourne this arvo and I don't know why anyone would want to live there. Sydney is a farmore picturesque city with it's harbour, better beaches and weather.

Houses and land in regional centres are usually a lot less than in the capital cities and the blocks are bigger. We don't have the public transport infrastructure the capitals have though. The air is cleaner and there aren't any traffic jams. Bathurst is another town I lived in for a few years and liked a lot.

It does tend to get fairly hot here in summer and freezing in winter.

Ralph.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

I don't think what I'm saying is "bullsh1t". I think Melbourne is a great city and is probably a better city to live in than Sydney for a new person, as I think it's a more social city and has more entertainment, bars, things to do INSIDE. I was suggesting that the reason for this was the more drizzly weather, which it is, but it's not extreme, like the difference between Wellington and Auckland, say. Sydney get's a fair share of rain, and as every Melbournian reminds us, we get more rain, it's just Melbourne has more rainy days. The difference is minimal and not enough to base a decision on living there on.

Hope that clarifies my statements, although I thought I was clear

Having not been to melboune for ages i cannot really comment but i have lived on sydney my whole life.

I live in the suburbs about 40 minutes to teh city by train. The housing around my area is not real cheao but not far away(and closer to the station) there is much cheaper accomadation(probaly about 220 a week). We have plenty of pubs nearby and drive for 40 mins there are some really good peugeot roads around.

I will admit it but the weather shits me to tears...

Tim

PS and the night life in sydney is tops

nJm

Nightlife in Melbourne is better

I've just noticed that our public transport fares are increasing by 9.8% so you might want to find somewhere else to live . Geesh $5.70 for an all day zone 1. How am I ever going to survive?

I noticed a few people had written into the newspaper saying they would drive now. I think that is just plain stupid. I would never bother to drive into the CBD, and parking is on average $28 per day. Some people are silly .

Where in NZ do you live? Might help us out a bit. My dad was recently in Auckland and he said he had never seen traffic jams so bad (and yet he drives almost into the city {Richmond} during peak hour every week).
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

If you want something completely different to your NZ climate move to Brisbane Heaps of kiwi's here

Alrighty, it gets humid at times but the arvo storm comes through & cools things down.
    Today, weather was absolutely sensational. Max temp 27Deg overnight 18Deg. Forecast same tomorrow.

They are still saying Brisbane will be the second largest, if not the largest city in Australia by 2020. There are 1000 people a week moving to south east Queensland. South East Queensland is ranked 4th for the fastest growing areas in the world!!!

Real Estate is still affordable!

I lived in Sydney for 5 years & just couldn't hack it anymore. Seems everyone is so angry.

My for Brisbane

Most NZandlers end up in Bondi. I personally think Newcastle is the best place to live, even though I'm stuck in Sydney. The Newcastle area has a lot going for it - beaches, lakes, wineries, lack of traffic, TV station, climate, superb real estate at country prices and no more heavy pollution.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

i would agree with Gib Gib.

been to Melbourne... its nice... but not a place i'd like to call home.
    Not a huge fan of Sydney... abit too full on and fast paced.

Brisbane is the place to be... housing is still affordable compared to other states. Got the Gold and Sunshine Coasts just 1hour drive away. aswell as Moreton Bay and Stradbroke Island. Sensational weather and the lifestyle is relaxed.

Living a holiday lifestyle with affordable overheads...

that's my

It all depends on what you want. Sydney is beautiful, has fantastic weather, is great for partying, and has a great range of cultures and food, etc. Downside is that it's expensive, and the people are rude and arrogant, as a general rule. Melbourne is more a city of culture and art, friendlier people and probably has a climate more suited to what you are used to in NZ (if that's what you want).

Peter T is right, Newcastle is great. Also Perth: Great climate, friendly people, fairly cheap. A good mix of city and country. I'm thinking of moving there myself, I'm very much "over" Sydney.

What sort of TV work do you do? I work in TV, and may be able to help you out.

JG.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Even maybe look into the Central Coast of NSW, there are still some reasonable prices on Houses i believe, but they are satrting to increase... By central coast i mean Gosford and surrounding areas... it's only an hour from sydney, an hour from newcastle... All you have to do is jump on the Freeway. Just make sure, there aint no crashes, or there can be some nice hold ups... also it's in reach of sydney via trains if you decide to get work in the sydney Hinterland...
    Depends if you want to travel or not..
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

I agree. I'm rude, arrogant and very angry

XTC

I've lived in Melb, Syd and Perth. And terms of lifestyle, this place is the friendliest, easy going, capital city of the lot. Unlike in the 70's when Perth was a large country town .. there is nothing you can't get here now ... sure somethings are on a smaller scale, but all bands tour, as do exibits and other events ..

And value for money housing ... try and get a 800sqm block for under $500,000 less then 5kms from town in Syd or Melb !

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

wow, thanks for all the advice guys

a couple of replys to things

work, i have a qualification in TV production, i currently work for a company called Mr Rentals who have franchises through Australia ,and i have 2+ years in retail appliance sales, as well as retail mangement
    -so anything in these feilds will do fine

i live in palmerston north, NZ so most citys over the ditch are bigger than here, so really im not too worried where i go (i will travel anyway )

no, no rellies over there

and yes, its important for me to find work before i leave, i have no porbs flying over for interviews, but i would be very strapped for $ if i move without having a job to go to

cheers and thanks again

Allan
    Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

I also live in sydney and in rude, arrogant and very angry most of the time...

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Hey, LookingForMi16, I see by your signature that you've found your Mi16, so you should change your username! (A moderator can do it for you). Make it "FoundMi16" or "NowDrivingMyMi16" or something.

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn
    Hey, LookingForMi16, I see by your signature that you've found your Mi16, so you should change your username! (A moderator can do it for you). Make it "FoundMi16" or "NowDrivingMyMi16" or something.

John
    Don't think you can anymore with the new software, as the login name is the same as your display name... I could be wrong, though, as I am rude, arrogant and incredibly angry

Why would anybody want to move from NZ. Great place.....never could understand why folks would want to go from the land of the long white cloud to Bondi and Coogee...suburbs of the floating brown turd.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information