Something to look forward to
  • Register
  • Help

Default Something to look forward to

It seems the stupidity of Politicians knows no bounds.
    I doubt anyome would be surprised if Bracks got booted out at the next State Election so it seems Beattie wants to see if he can get away with it before he does.

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/c...55E952,00.html

Advertisement

Alan S

That's unbelievable. Nothing like the efficiency of private enterprise to turn a buck.

What's the bet that a 1km/h tolerance will soon be in place as the lobbying power private enterprise can draw up starts bugging the state goverment, who, of course, would hardly be upset at that little idea.

Still, there is an upside. Bribing one of these guys sitting in a van will be a much less serious offence than bribing a cop. Same goes for threatening and assaulting them. LOL.

JG.

PS: is "prosecutability" even a word?
    Care factor = -273.15șC

XTC

Great ... they will start to tender out the camera's like Taxi licenses .. the more fines you rack up the higher the opperators profit.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Heard on radio this arvo,

Apparently its not going ahead?

???

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Don't bet on it; I've written to this pair of tossers (sorry, Honourable Ministers of the Crown) and told them I don't believe them as Bredhauer's predecessor, David Hamill said exactly the same thing about speed cameras per se' a few years back, only to do a backflip AFTER the election.
    This was a follow up to the previous days letter when I also asked if they were trying to beat Bracks in getting booted out of office for harrassing motorists.

Alan S

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz
    Heard on radio this arvo, Apparently its not going ahead?
    Alan S must have got to em'

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    It seems the stupidity of Politicians knows no bounds.
    I doubt anyome would be surprised if Bracks got booted out at the next State Election so it seems Beattie wants to see if he can get away with it before he does.
    Election isn't due till 2006, I wouldn't be so sure. That's a bloody long time in politics. How many political pundits predicted the fall of the Kennett Government in '99. How many thought Howard would win the last election at the start of 2001 amidst various petrol pricing and GST sagas.

Just remember, in the 2002 Victorian Election, the ALP achieved a huge 7.9% swing towards it and decimated its opposition (to be honest, I'd be surprised if this performance were repeated). 7.9% is a huge result in a two party system. That's bigger than the Kennett landslide that wiped the ALP out in 1992. History shows few examples of governments achieving a swing towards themselves at general elections - if you look at the Kennett Government, at every election the ALP chipped away at the Coalition's lead.

Politics sure is a volatile game.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I know the local scene pretty well & I can tell you when a Government is already campaigning at the end of a year prior to an election due the following one and spending millions & is under as much pressure as this one in Queensland is, they are looking to plug every possible vote loser they see.....and every time they turn up with another load of anti-motorist propaganda...I'm there with a few others pushing it in their faces.
    It'd be more effective if more had the guts to do it but unfortunately there's always those ready to take the '!$$ out of those trying & always around to accept the benefits that come from what we do.

Alan S

Do you really think that motorists issues are the 'straws that'll break the camel's back'. We'd probably like to think so, but I'd have serious reservations about that.

We had lots of argument over speeding and revenue raising, the opposition here wanted to bring back the 10% rule, less focus on speeding, etc.

What happened? You got one of the largest swings to a government in Victorian history.

I have my doubts as to whether motorists issues would have enough clout. I'm sure if you asked most Victorians, they'd say the Government is revenue raising, they disapprove of that, etc, etc. Would that translate into a victory for the LNP Coalition at the moment - I doubt it.

Having said that, I do think the Government has lost its shine, it certainly is out of its honeymoon period (which seemed to last for ages). There's no doubt they have lost their popularity, but what shape is the Opposition in?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Without trying to drag this into a Political debate, the fact is that "hip pocket issues" can win & lose elections. Often not on their own, but when it comes to State issues it goes electorate to electorate. In Queensland with our vast area and centralised population areas coupled with the enormous amount of marginal seats in the coastal regions in particular the South east, where most impact of these revenue raising measures are being felt and remembering that 3 of the last 4 State Governments have been minority based on deals struck with Independents, then I think they have to look at it as a major factor up here based on the amount of public feeling against it and a lot of people looking for a reason to kick the incumbents in the butt following the Hansen debacle, Family Services child abuse allegations, health mess ups, housing Dept scandals and Environmental issues amongst a lot of other things.
    In that context, it can be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Alan S

Alan S

XTC

Politicians are like nappies.
    Both should be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Cal

Cool, so now I can carry bolt cutters and a blow torch in my car, ready to turn the back of a white van into a torture chamber.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    Cool, so now I can carry bolt cutters and a blow torch in my car, ready to turn the back of a white van into a torture chamber.

Cal.
    HEY!! Ya gotcha matches???

Alan S

Thread Information