what the??...s16 as fast as 180sx,sylvia, skyline
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Default what the??...s16 as fast as 180sx,sylvia, skyline

this really freaked me out...i knew the s16 was quick but this is ridicilous....

i was driving up warrigal rd...through moorabin, just minding my business when i see a silver skyline (r33 gtst) a bright yellow 180sx and a sylvia go past me ....i met them at the next set of lights and thought...they were obviously playing around making surer they catch a red each time...

anyway i was behind the skyline with the sylvia in the middle lane and the yellow 180 in right lane....i could hear the revs going up...so i thought (i have no chance)but what the hell...i ll come to the party....

lights turn green and the skyline takes off.....i floored the s16 and to my surpise i was with the skyline inch for inc....in fact we left the sylvia and the 180 buy a good 5 -10 meters by the time we hit 100...hell i even made it to the middle lane...the sylvia was now behind me and the yellow peril on my right....
    felt a bit embarssed (as i was now sorounded by rice) so had to really make this set count.....holly crap....just nailed it perefectly and this time even beat the skyline to 100..we backed of for the next set.....we repeated the race 1 more time and the s16 more than delivered the goods...

what the hell is happening here.....were these guys just crap drivers, maybe cars were completely stock...(i ve driven r33 they r not super quick but they felt quicker than the s16....)...maybe my s16 has had some engine work...seems to idle like a stock mi16 though...not lumpy although the exhaust is a touch throaty/raspy but i thought they were all like that...
    anyway...i m glad i was able to keep up and even beat them (not by much)
    not a bad night though...left a smile on my face....
    S16=3 skyline=1 sylvia=0 180sx=0

Advertisement

cheers
    dino

ps..we never really went over 100km/h.....which is not that bad considering limit was 80km/h through the sections...

It's not that surprising. I've beaten a WRX in the GTi6.

Alot of those grey imports have after market blow off valves and drainpipe exhausts which work against it, if not done well.

Nothing better than an NA car beating those things though! Well done

You should see the locks of shock I get in an unmodified Micra! Still manage to beat a lot of these gooses!

dino,

You should pop along to the one of the next Aussiefrogs drives we're having in Melbourne and show us your new car.

Next one is on Sunday 30NOV03, then there's one on Saturday 06DEC03 for those that can't make it on the Sunday.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

The 6th December will ROCK!

-- DJ

I've driven both 180's & a skyline r33 gtst very often. This skyline isn't stock, but still isnt as fast as people make it out to be.

I'm not too surprised that you were able to beat it, a superior power to weight ratio perhaps?

180 sx's just seem to overpower themselves & i've found you have to be very easy on the throttle otherwise you'll just spin and it's hard to keep the car straight from there on.

i could keep up with lightly modded 240sx's here (detuned silvias for all you in the better countries) and some of the slower WRXs in town. so i guess Mi16 powa is teh bestest

Zen

Doesn't surprise me that much, I've gotten the better of the three cars plus other rice. Most memorable was when I lined up behind a MR2 with a Skyline GTS next to him. The MR2 and I left the Skyline for dead and I managed to pull up along beside him. He turned off though so we didn't get to go hammer and tong at each other. Another time a Sylvia was revving up next to me and got a better start but I was still able to gradually catch him once I got the S16 out of the low end torque problem. I've played with the cam timing which gave me heaps more in the low end initially, but I think something's wrong 'cos it feels the same as prior to making the adjustments now. ECU compensating??? Anyways, I'm going to have that looked at next time I have it at my mechanic.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

hehe good work Dino

Mmmm call me next time we can go up and down Dandy Rd looking for drags. Thats what i did back in the days

Mmm as for Skylines...they are quick but not that qik. Stock R33 should do a low 15-mid 14 with a good driver. The biggest problem they have is traction.

I have raced my friends R33 he has run a 14.5 before and has a few light mods. From a roll in 1st gear from like 20-30kmph we keep dead even till about 150kmph...then he pulls past me.

Problem i have in racing the pug is my launches...im too afraid of screecing the tyres cause i think there may be cops around. If i dont launch above 3500rpm i bog badly and have to play catch up.

Mmm as for the Silvia and 180SX...the 180SX may of been a CA18DET powered one...not very fast. I have beaten a friends one many times.

Anyways good job its fun to beatturbo cars
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    hehe good work Dino
    Anyways good job its fun to beatturbo cars
    ahhh if only i could say that i have .

Don't worry some day i will beat one of those old nissan pulsar turbo's im sure!!

XTC

While part of me says well done ... the other half says "street dragging" not very smart

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    While part of me says well done ... the other half says "street dragging" not very smart

- XTC206 -
    Especially with Warrigal Rd being a major Arterial, and often congested Road.
    But then i was young once-- strike that i'm still a hoon "within the speed limits" until i get a few more points back
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

Good work Dino!
    Go post that on a Skyline/Silvia forum and watch them blowup. Hell funny!

Nice Work, Always nice to hear... i haven't really had a decent drag yet, i'm looking forward to it, but in another way i'm not used to the car enough yet, to give it the best chance...

This was just as good as one of my mates stories, coming back from summer nats, he and his friends beat a nicely powered Holden Commodore... In a Mazda Familia with 4 people and their luggage... When i say beat, they pulled away until they got a high rev where the holden overtook them.
    Guy was in a bit of shock when he asked them what powered it, his missus was laughing at him...

But also one night, coming back from Avalon, when my mate owned my Mi16, we kept up resonably with a commodore with the plates Freaky5L.. was rather suprised... Not now though...
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

1000+ Posts

Skyline r33's arent that quick as they have so much weight to pull around, my last time at the quarter mile nights saw at least 7 r33's all achieve in the 15's plus. It was only the tricked ones that were going quicker.
    I think most Skylines have been "tarred" with the Godzilla image whereas there is only one Godzilla.
    R33 gtst's can now be bought for as low as $11000 and are in the range of snotty nosed kids price brackets. The car could do possibly a lot better with decent pilots.
    cheers jr
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Fellow Frogger!

ha ha ha

either they were really really really shit drivers, had engines running on 2 cylinders or kept their cars in 1st gear....

nothing against the s16, but those jap turbo's haul ass so easily after just 2g's of mods, no frenchie could catch them.....

and most wrx owners are the fags who cant afford to get a porsche, not the best drivers in the world those rexers, otherwise they would have bought a pug.

well thats my
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Peugeot 306, garrett GT25 turbo, 3" exhaust, microtech LT8 ECU, 16.7 psi, front mount cooler, Chris Milton race port&polish w/ 3 angle cut valves and redesigned combustion chamber, 186hp atw for now... injectors ran out of puff
    NOS COMING SOON!

the funny thing is that i thought i was going to be destroyed....i only gave it a go for the hell of it....
    i ve beaten sylvias befoer with my 205 so i knew the s16 could do it.....but with these rice cookers u never know how much boost these guys are running....i saw the big exhaust so was expecting the turbos to do much better...
    sure there is many 12sec cars around the place but i can tell u one thing...these guys were really pushing their cars....especially after they saw me join in.....
    i think its a case of looking shit hot but going nowhere fast....

cheers dino

what do you think of the integras? I hardly see any around (like the 2000 type) but I have seen them do nice work in the straight line department and in the curvy bits!? Are tehy a good car? I hear that with those Vtecs some drive them well and others cant work it out, but still they look like a nice car. In the tradition of rice i mean hi hi. DONT SHOOT!!
    (purplepugWA)

um integras are hondas, and hondas are slow as balls.. they are all over the place here in florida and i hate to see them just as much as i hate to see michael jackson

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by Brett LeGrand
    um integras are hondas, and hondas are slow as balls.. they are all over the place here in florida and i hate to see them just as much as i hate to see michael jackson
    The 2000 model Type R Integra produces 197hp from 1.8L. At 109.5hp per litre, that is more than an F355. In fact, it was more horsepower per litre than any N\A in history at the time. Slow as balls, I think not.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Mi16
    Nice Work, Always nice to hear... i haven't really had a decent drag yet, i'm looking forward to it, but in another way i'm not used to the car enough yet, to give it the best chance...

This was just as good as one of my mates stories, coming back from summer nats, he and his friends beat a nicely powered Holden Commodore... In a Mazda Familia with 4 people and their luggage... When i say beat, they pulled away until they got a high rev where the holden overtook them.
    Guy was in a bit of shock when he asked them what powered it, his missus was laughing at him...

But also one night, coming back from Avalon, when my mate owned my Mi16, we kept up resonably with a commodore with the plates Freaky5L.. was rather suprised... Not now though...
    That Commodore with the plate Freaky5L lives around the corner from me. he's a red P plater.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    The 2000 model Type R Integra produces 197hp from 1.8L. At 109.5hp per litre, that is more than an F355. In fact, it was more horsepower per litre than any N\A in history at the time. Slow as balls, I think not.

Cal.

i thought the honda s2000 had the highest output motor per litre
    (239hp or 176kw at 8300 revs from 2litres)
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Quote Originally Posted by Cal

Cal.

Just read that bit about "at that time" ... sorry.
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Fellow Frogger!

problem with Honda's and I do like them 'for what they are' is you have to rev the living daylights out of it can get tiring in the city and surrounds.

turbo cars such as 200sx,180sx, Skylines, WRXs etc etc if set up and driven properly will kill a GTi6, s16 205GTi etc 0-100 or 1/4 mile that is, around the twistys well that's another matter.

I tried to drag (a S15) only once in my Gti6. One I was to chicken to launch at 3,000rpm and two I knew I didn't have a chance anyway. He literally blew me away seemed to be std set-up too, no front mount or big exhaust.

It was great you beat those guys but seriously it shouldn't happen again

And for the coment CA18DET 180sx are slow come jump in my GF's brothers and see if they're still slow. Despite peoples opinions the CA18 is a better, stronger engine than the SR20. The SR20 will always pull more power it does have a 200cc head start.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason20
    That Commodore with the plate Freaky5L lives around the corner from me. he's a red P plater.
    Well we stuck with him, i don't think he was going pedal to the metal, but he was cruising up on his speed...
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian
    problem with Honda's and I do like them 'for what they are' is you have to rev the living daylights out of it can get tiring in the city and surrounds.
    This is true, however, I drove one recently which had the VTEC reset to come in at 4000rpm instead of 6000. A seemless wave of torque and power from 4000-9000. Sublime. It was a GTP car though with about 218hp.

I own a Pug and a ricer. I love the way my Pug handles and does many things, but seriously, it would need a blower to take on Silvias, Skylines and Rex's. Give credit where credit is due. It is easy to make these things run low 13's. Love to know how much you would have to spend on a frog to make it do that.

Cal.
    Last edited by Cal; 25th November 2003 at 05:03 PM.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information