Bought a digital camera today
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    nJm

Default Bought a digital camera today

I thought I had better get one before I head off to europe in a week's time, so today I got myself a Canon Powershot A60. It is only a 2 mega pixel camera, but I couldn't work out when I'd ever need an image larger than 1600x1200. The quality is far better than I thought it would be, and with the 128mb CF Card in it you can take up to 974 seconds of rather crappy video .

Anyway, you can expect to see heaps of pointless photos of my car, and hopefully some nice shots of any intersting cars I see in my travels (England, Paris + Austria).

Advertisement
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Just remember to keep your receipt when you leave the country & claim the GST at the Tourist Refund Scheme desks.

You'll be eligible - just need to have a receipt over $300 for goods you are bringing into the aircraft cabin (ie. as hand luggage or on your body).

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nJm

Cool, as it was $500 (camera $416, 128mb CF Card $84).
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

XTC

Learn the manual settings (lighting and such) ... you can get some pretty good results.

- XTC206 -

PS: enjoy the trip.
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

nJm

Yeah, I've started reading through the manual. Still, when set to defaults it takes good pics at day time. At night in a well lit room I find the flash too powerful, although not using the flash provides slightly blurred photos. I shall tinker with it
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Fellow Frogger!

Not using flash in a darker environment means that it will expose longer, so you will need a very steady hand, use a tri pod or bracing your hand/camera against something. Try it and you can take some real cool looking pics at night!
    Have fun on your trip (and with your camera)!

Quote Originally Posted by rc968
    Try it and you can take some real cool looking pics at night!
    You sure can

Just a few time delay shots out at the airport.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC

Yep .. certainly .. (from my latest trip)

- XTC206 -
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now this is a .sig

i am looking at getting a digital camera this Christmas, and after looking at some of these pictures you guys take, i have alot of learning ahead of me

these are very good shots... i wouldnt know where to start to take a shot like this. i am just a point and shoot hacker

I bought a canon ixus the other week (3.2mp). it takes good shots, and is quite small which will make it handy when i'm out and about - hopefully I won't loose it (the camera i mean).

nJm

I would have liked an IXUS but they were a bit too expensive, and I thought the larger optical zoom (3x vs 2x) of the Powershot A60/70 range would be handy. I must say I am really impressed with the Canon's features. The Photostitch panoramic software makes it really easy to make a 360 degrees photo

One thing that was a bonus on the lower model camera was it runs on AA batteries. It saves me getting a power adaptor for all the countries I'm going to and having to wait for the battery to charge before I can use the camera again.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

i am looking at the Kodak DX6340

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_AU

i would appreciate advice. can buy it for $465

XTC

You can read some owners opinions here ..

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...y=kodak_dx6340

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Nick, the software package that comes with the canon's is pretty comprehensive - many of the reviews I read before buying mine commented on it. Haven't played too much with photostich yet - haven't really seen anything worth taking a photo of yet (not that I've let that stop me). Also, the Ixus comes with the various power adaptors to use when overseas.

nJm

Well that's good

Still, all I could afford was $500 and I wanted to get a larger memory card for it. All worked out pretty well. I've taken a few photos of flowers with the macro function, but I think I'll wait until I have some nice photos of my car before I any post on here. I might take the 505 out bush one last time before I head off for -10 degree weather .
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Have fun in the UK - pack a jumper or 10! I was planning to go over in jan/feb 2004, but decided against it after realising how bloody cold it would be then. Shall save a few more pennies and go over in june I think.

...and if you're in france, put your new camera to good use at the peugeot museum!

nJm

Unfortunately I am only spending 3 days in Paris and that is it. Will hopefully get a chance to see the BMW Museum in Munich thought.

Yeah, I'm spending 6 days over christmas in Austria so will be extremely cold! You shall all see photos anyway
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    Unfortunately I am only spending 3 days in Paris and that is it. Will hopefully get a chance to see the BMW Museum in Munich thought.

Yeah, I'm spending 6 days over christmas in Austria so will be extremely cold! You shall all see photos anyway
    ah so you are going to the breakfast bowl

the BMW building there is interesting though
    it was built from the top down so the offices at the bottom of the building are newer than the ones at the top
    you will get all that info if you go on the tour there
    when i went you weren't allowed to take a camera through the factory
    you had to leave them in a locker but you were allowed to have a camera in the museum
    i'd say they would have changed the displays since i was there though

you should go to schlumpf though

and while you are in barvaria you should go to the merc museum
    it was excellent when i was there and some of the cars i could have jumped in and driven home

are you going to go to graz while in austria ?
    the home of arnie

most importantly though is keep your eyes open for the older cars in yards
    i saw quite a few 203/403 utes in the vineyards whilst travelling past in the south of france
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by Xsara
    i am looking at the Kodak DX6340

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_AU

i would appreciate advice. can buy it for $465

Hey Xsara.

Thats a pretty good buy for 465 bucks. 3.1 megapixel is a good size, u can enlarge your photos and get some nice prints.

4 x optical zoom is good to. Whatever you do, dont buy a camera for its digital zoom. Its not a true zoom. the optical zoom is the important bit, and if you have much more than 4x, youll need a tripod to keep it steady enough to take a sharp photo.

anyway, thats my

ps. how many of em can u get for $465??? Id be interested in one if you can get them. :>
    1992 mi16
    Toyota aware driver
    there are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots..

yeah $465 is an advertised price through Dick Smith electronics on the weekend paper(The Sunday Mail). maybe they are just being competitive coming into Christmas.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...ct/View/XG0117

only till end of month though.
    Last edited by Xsara; 24th November 2003 at 06:45 PM.

nJm

Here are some photos from today:
    http://www.bluekey.com.au/~njm/canon/index.htm

I need some practice with using white balance etc. I took some city shots but they didn't have very good exposure. I'm all new to this though
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Xsara
    yeah $465 is an advertised price through Dick Smith electronics on the weekend paper(The Sunday Mail). maybe they are just being competitive coming into Christmas. http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...ct/View/XG0117 only till end of month though.
    Also for camera deals don't forget www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au they are normally pretty good.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Congrats on your purchase Nick, those are actually some really nice photos. They seem to have great colour and be quite detailed, especially the rose and Kane's Bridge.

The last pic is cool though, looks like the pug is right at home on the twisties.

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

XTC

If you need memory ... try www.powerinnumbers.com.au ... I've bought 3 or 4 cards from them .. quick service, good prices.

- XTC206 -

PS: I am in no way affiliated with any of these companies, just a satisfied customer.

Now this is a .sig

rek

Quote Originally Posted by silverexec
    The last pic is cool though, looks like the pug is right at home on the twisties.
    Whether you're on a bike or in a car, Kew Boulevarde rules
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information