To the moderator Greenblood
  • Register
  • Help

Default To the moderator Greenblood

Hi Greenblood

Just curious to know what the Logged function is for? Written directly below my post? Next to report.

Speaking of reporting. What is considered a breech in terms of language and phraseiology?

Advertisement

I know I could be accused in prior posts of going a well to far. Particularly in the area of right & wrong. Which I am aware offends some people! Where does a moderator draw the line? Is there a point a which conversation get to colorful?

I think the post valve seat recession was perhaps an example of my going a dab far! Then again is it that that makes thread worthwhile?

Als
    Last edited by AlsPug504; 20th November 2003 at 05:15 PM.

that's your IP address, it's so they can ensure that noone is "spoofing" an IP address, or is posting multiple messages under different names. This isn't a problem on AF, but can be a problem on other forums where people like to cause trouble for some reason or another.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    that's your IP address, it's so they can ensure that noone is "spoofing" an IP address, or is posting multiple messages under different names. This isn't a problem on AF, but can be a problem on other forums where people like to cause trouble for some reason or another.
    Yep,

it's nothing to worry about. When someone is banned (not that I've ever had to do that here) you ban there IP address. This prevents them just creating another user name .... Usualy you block there IP range as opposed to exact IP address, this is because a lot of ISP's actualy assign you an IP address from a range of addresses.

Don't worry about it A buncha numbers means nothing, it's just the IP address of the people you dial in through in order to access the internet.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Icon7

If you ban a block of ip addresses you could also be banning legitimate users, could you not? My current ip is in the network range of 203.219.233.0 and if you block that range you would be blocking 254 users. I know the chances of blocking another user of the Forum would be small.

Cheers,

Ralph.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Icon10

I better watch myself then....

Icon4

Quote Originally Posted by AlsPug504
    Hi Greenblood

Just curious to know what the Logged function is for? Written directly below my post? Next to report.

Speaking of reporting. What is considered a breech in terms of language and phraseiology?

I know I could be accused in prior posts of going a well to far. Particularly in the area of right & wrong. Which I am aware offends some people! Where does a moderator draw the line? Is there a point a which conversation get to colorful?

I think the post valve seat recession was perhaps an example of my going a dab far! Then again is it that that makes thread worthwhile?

Als
    Als,
    Sorry for my tardy response, not much time online today

Look, the fact that you have asked the question suggests you know the answer, with regard to colourful language we do have filters that 'tame' to some extent, this is a board that has members from all walks in life, so I guess we would prefer a G certificate

You should be able to express yourself without the use of foul language. Personaly I have not interfered with a members post on the grounds of language used, I have seen situations where a member has posted and before I've had the chance to intervene that member has edited their own post. Basically we seem to have good bunch of regulars and interference from moderators is seldom necessary.

This new board is a little more democratic than the previous, in that we now have a holding bay for questionable posts, where all moderators can have their say as to whether the post should be re-instated (intact or in an edited form) or not. Again from my own standpoint I prefer not to delete a post as it can interfere with the continuity of a thread. Where possible moderators will PM or email the owner of an offending post and advise that if the post is not edited by the member it will be deleted.

One breach we do take seriously though, is a personal malicious attack on another member, re-read the Terms and Conditions of membership you agreed to when you first logged on, for clarification.

Hope that helps...

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    If you ban a block of ip addresses you could also be banning legitimate users, could you not? My current ip is in the network range of 203.219.233.0 and if you block that range you would be blocking 254 users. I know the chances of blocking another user of the Forum would be small.

Cheers,

Ralph.
    Ralph and others

With the use of VPNs (virtual private networks) and various levels of use if IP addressing, many more people could be blocked. For example I work for NSW Dept Ed and the public side of the network would only show perhaps a 512 node address range. However inside the network we have 2500 sites ranging from 10 addresses to many thousands (eg at Wollongong we have 4000 addresses available). Many ISPs are starting to do similar by using the 172 and 192 address ranges etc.

Therefore the effect of blocking one address or range could have multiple effects.

How about that, something I could comment on that relates to my work!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

On another forum we had a case where someone posted that they'd been present for an incident and that the facts as reported on that website (copied straight from the Herald-Sun) were wrong. Just sensational headline stuff.

Anyway this bloke got a rubbishing from a couple of people and then his mate, who'd been with him posted to back him up. They worked together, so they had the same IP address.

But the dill who runs it came on and wanted to berate them... they're like that. And not long before this the software had been changed and they didn't realise that the fields for 'location' and 'interests' were mixed up in the profiles.

So these blokes got a pasting, were accused of being the one person and all that, and to top it off, were told that another reason they must be the same person was that they both listed 'Melbourne' as their interests!

At the time we were told that all Bigpond users have the same IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    Als,
    Sorry for my tardy response, not much time online today

Look, the fact that you have asked the question suggests you know the answer.

Cheers
    Chris
    That is ok, I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

I guess what crosses my mind when I am on this forum. Is that I have used whatever language tool has been nessary at times to get a point arcoss. even if it is a little blunt.

However, since my view of the world is perhaps somewhat different to that of some of the forum participants, I tend to push my own barrow or coaching rather stongly.

This is were I wonder if I am outside forum rules.

Thank you clarifying that for me!

Als
    Last edited by AlsPug504; 21st November 2003 at 12:56 AM.

Icon6

Hi all,

I think it good that the moderators are now sending emails/pm's to members who post "questionable" posts. I've had a couple pulled (in the Humour section) that I thought were quite innocuous and been left wondering why. I thought them quite tame compared to some of the stuff I've seen posted there! It didn't really worry me, just left me wondering what the standards expected actually are.

It's good to get feed back (both good and bad) from those in power as to why!

Have fun,

Ralph.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

1000+ Posts

I certainly provide feedback to posters which is good cos then I don't have to do any work - posts get edited or removed by the poster

All in all though, this forum is easy to look after. I haven't done anything much in months!

Derek

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    It's still possible (especially the multiple posts under different names from multiple IP's) - if you know what you are doing

But it's a good safety measure ... other forums had so much trouble, to join you have to give all your details (name, contact number, email address (not yahoo or hotmail etc)

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Forums really can go down hill rapidly if not maintained to a high standard.
    Thankfully there have only been one or two members banned over the whole time aussiefrogs has had a forum.

Have a look at this forum. It's a woodworking site. Now you'd wonder how things could possibly get so bad discussing wood
    Click on the stickie post...

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...php?forumid=21

We do want to try & avoid too many rules & regs but it's part of life to have them.
    Heck, if you just have a bit of fun on here & don't cause trouble, everyone is happy & we have a happy place for some r & r don't we

Thread Information