Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Default australian idol

local comes runner up in the australian idol competition
    damn

Advertisement
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

nJm

I know, I couldn't believe how much better some of the others who were voted out earlier were! I have only been following it for the past few weeks, but it was a relief that we won't have to listen to Shanon screech, miss notes or mumble through some of the better songs written in the past few decades!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Yea

Its all the young gurls ringing up and voting.

The last 2 guys are pretty average........ or shit, if you will.

I'm listening to it right now, I can't belive how many people are there.

Paulini Should have won.
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

so i have spoilt your fun now by telling you who won
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    In WA you have ... if your stupid enough to watch it !!!!

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

As Mcarlif would say "Into the Bin" !!!
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

Result not known in QLD yet either.

I think Guy was the better of the 2. His voice seems to make me laugh at times
    Not my cup of tea at all.

Paulini had the best voice.
    Millsy the best personality
    Dicko the best value

we only watched it here for the last 3 shows to see how the local bloke went in it
    he came runner up and Guy the fluffy headed crow eater won

dicko was good value i have to agree there
    whoever the girl is in the red dress she has a nice voice and i think whoever she is should have been in there at the end for the final 2
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    If you could do that trick with the Melboune Cup you'd be my hero

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    If you could do that trick with the Melboune Cup you'd be my hero Cheers Chris
    Forget Melb Cup .. next Superdraw in Lotto please

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Fellow Frogger!

Fluffyold crow eater, hey! I think Guy has an excellent voice, yes Paulini should have been there but did you vote.. oh well more manufactured music on the way.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

nah,cosima should have won
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Ahh the great debate comes to AF i see .

Australian idol is a popularity contest, similar to the music industry of today. Working for a record label i understand a bit about market expectations yada yada.

Alot of people think Australian idol is a talent contest, which it most definetly is not. If it was a talent contest then the panel of judges (hines, Holden & dicko) would have choosen the winner, to which im certain it wouldnt have been Guy or Shannon.

I'm sick of hearing people complain about how this person should have won because he/she can sing better. As i said before Aus Idol isnt a talent contests.

Everyone complains about little teen girls voting (whom have no clue about music).Well who buys the cd's??? Everyone knows the biggest market for pop music is that 11-17year old female demographic.

Another thing, look at it from a record labels point of view.
    Why the hell sign someone who can sing but can't sell records.

I know when taken on musical talent, one of the first things record producers do is to try & picture that persons face on a cd cover & see if it would have some sort of appeal.
    If looks & attitude is what the market likes then they will buy it; the music itself isn't too important (unfortunetly). For example Guy's afro, is a dream come true for the marketing department at BMG. US rapper 50 cent been to jail, been shot but can't rap for sh*t, but everyone loves that "thug nigga" image.

A music lover myself, it is very sad to see pop music go in this direction, from my personal point of view i ask the market whether we will ever hear music such as george benson, lionel richie, marvin gaye, stevie wonder, paul simon, The Police, Rolling stones & of course the Beatles.

For the record i wished Paulini had have won, as her musical talent was outstanding as was Cosima's, however both of these people do not have anything to back there voices with, and the market showed that by not voting for them.

On the other hand Guy's appeal with younger teen females & even the whole pop market due to his style, personality & music got him through. Shannon had a horrible voice but thats not the point, he was able to reach out to the anglo-Australian market, i wouldnt compare him to Jimmy Barnes (Aus Music Legend) but he did have the 'barnesie' & aussie battler feel which the non-pop australian demographic loves.

Since you all love a bit of australian music talent, wait till you the "Nu soulful" sounds of Australian singer Daniel Merriwether coming out in Feb with his First Single "city rules" courtesy of Marlin Records. If you want to know more or are in melbourne & want to come to one of his 'exclusive' gigs PM me.

Anyways i think i might listen to some of that smoothness of lionel richie .

thats my for the day

Asanka-out
    Later
    Last edited by purrr-geot; 20th November 2003 at 10:18 PM.

UFO

You bring up a few interesting points

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    Ahh the great debate comes to AF i see .

Australian idol is a popularity contest, similar to the music industry of today. Working for a record label i understand a bit about market expectations yada yada.

Yep, anything that requires viewer input is only going to be decided by phone ins etc, although to be fair, Paris was number one destination on Getaway tonight

Everyone complains about little teen girls voting (whom have no clue about music).Well who buys the cd's??? Everyone knows the biggest market for pop music is that 11-17year old female demographic.

Why DO people buy singles? I could never work it out.

Another thing, look at it from a record labels point of view.
    Why the hell sign someone who can sing but can't sell records.

Oh boy, could we start a list here. I reckon quite often it's not their musical performance that gets them the contract! Ooh err!!!

I know when taken on musical talent, one of the first things record producers do is to try & picture that persons face on a cd cover & see if it would have some sort of appeal.

Yeah on the cover of- (I must stop this......)

If looks & attitude is what the market likes then they will buy it; the music itself isn't too important (unfortunetly). For example Guy's afro, is a dream come true for the marketing department at BMG. US rapper 50 cent been to jail, been shot but can't rap for sh*t, but everyone loves that "thug nigga" image.

A music lover myself, it is very sad to see pop music go in this direction, from my personal point of view i ask the market whether we will ever hear music such as george benson, lionel richie, marvin gaye, stevie wonder, paul simon, The Police, Rolling stones & of course the Beatles.

Yeah but it is called Pop music as in POPular, and marketing is the reason behind this popularity. There have been so many bands that are just hype

Since you all love a bit of australian music talent, wait till you the "Nu soulful" sounds of Australian singer Daniel Merriwether coming out in Feb with his First Single "city rules" courtesy of Marlin Records. If you want to know more or are in melbourne & want to come to one of his 'exclusive' gigs PM me.

Anyways i think i might listen to some of that smoothness of lionel richie .

thats my for the day

Asanka-out
    Later
    My back at you.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

oh now we can't forget about bert and patties famous record cover now can we
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thanks UFO i'll take your and put it in the bank .

BTW WHY THE HELL IS PARIS THE WORLDS no1 Destination???? Load of crap if you ask me, im sure its good but not that good. I got a shock when i saw the Pyramids at no2.

In answer to a few question UFO

Why DO people buy singles? I could never work it out.

The market for singles again is that younger age group whom can't afford to buy albums, in the old days it was the whole album (not singles) & good & bad artists were seperated by the number of good songs they could put on a album, today artists can't produce too many good songs & hence we have 'one hit wonders' aplenty.

Oh boy, could we start a list here. I reckon quite often it's not their musical performance that gets them the contract! Ooh err!!!

Why does HOLLY VALANCE come to mind (love to spend a night with her, just as long as she doesnt sing), that said everyone is Aus loves Delta Goodrem, a absolute musical talent & beautiful girl whom doesnt need to wear nothing to prove it. We love you Delta.

The most important element in pop music has nothing to do with the singer, its the marketing department

nJm

Definately. I've been trying very hard to forget Venesa Amarosi (sp?).

I think things have changed a lot really. I mean, look at Mr Meatloaf... he sold over 30 million copies of his first album and yet look at him! Not exactly nice to look at .

For me personally, it is the musical talent that matters. When I'm listening to their CD I'm not going to be staring at their photo inside the cover! I don't care if they are fat or thin, but if they sound like Shanon did... urgh! I don't buy a person's CD because they are good looking (although my dad was saying that was the reason that my uncle had so many Carly Simon LPs in the garage .
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Paris No. 1 on Getaway.....Easy......All the French cars there.
    Egypt No. 2....Easy....Full of Australian 504s

As much as I'm going to be going against the grain here, I'd say I really would have liked Shannon to win it. He mightn't have had the best voice in the competition (i think he really shined in the last show), he just appealed to me. Its pop music, so talent isn't a huge factor. But Shannon will hopefully get a contract, and start putting out some good Aussie pub rock or country.

The most important thing though - how terrible is Guy's single??? Ahhhhrhhggg, "angels brought me here" has to be one of the most hideous creations I have ever heard.

Nick

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by nchandler
    - how terrible is Guy's single??? Ahhhhrhhggg, "angels brought me here" has to be one of the most hideous creations I have ever heard.

Nick
    hehe lets not forget this could have been shannon's single..

blame the songwriter!!!!

1000+ Posts

Ahhh, well. At least he might get a now....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Ahhh, well. At least he might get a now....
    What does mean stuey? unless you mean Headbang.
    If you are talking sex, dont worry mate he will get plenty, music industry in famous for it, i'd say its on tap!

It would be really intersting to see how shannon would have gone if given a deal.

The Australian music scene doesnt need a pop act or a rock act, just something that would please the pub crowd. Australia hasnt had a rock legend for years (kylie minogue doesnt count).

Im sure lots of exec's at the big record company's would have considered signing him, i'd say the main issue with Shannon would be whether his personality will be good enough long term. One fella i would be interested in signing up would be "milsy", first thing i'd do would be to manufacture him into some sort "aussie sex god" make sure he kept the rumour mills spinning with him having affairs with different women all the time. He would get so much publicity you would hardly have to 'market' him.

Icon12

I watched getaway with great interest last night. It was great.I knew Paris would win. Its the best city in the world.
    It was good to see some french colonies on there too up there.
    It deserved to win.(ill get hounded for this reply ill bet)..
    It was interesting to see when the had barcelona on there the first shot had a Renault 5 and a Peugeot 205 on it. Great stuff...
    On Australian Idol.....? I have no opinion only to say its obvious who the big winners are out of all this, is the big end of town. Telstra are sitting back and the record labels and they love it......

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    For me personally, it is the musical talent that matters. When I'm listening to their CD I'm not going to be staring at their photo inside the cover! I don't care if they are fat or thin, but if they sound like Shanon did... urgh! I don't buy a person's CD because they are good looking
    But you're not in the 13-17 female demographic that it's being targeted at (unless I'm wrong) No wonder you don't like it !

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

the thing about shannon is he has been singing around here in the pubs and the like for quite a while and he puts on a pretty good show
    as much as i never really like anyone trying to do covers on barnsey's songs shannon doesn't sound too bad
    i have heard worse
    shannon doesn't have a bad voice when he isn't trying to push so hard
    lets face it it takes a well vodka'd voice box to get the barnesy sound just right
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information