Performance Measurement
  • Register
  • Help

Default Performance Measurement

I've learnt some interesting things from one of the PR heads of one of the Euro manufacturers, a former journalist (no prizes for guessing which company - it could only be one of two. )

Basically I had a few concerns with some overseas performance test results and how these would translate downunder. Some advice, don't write off a car based on its reception in an overseas country. Some cars have quite different receptions all over the world.

If you've wondered why the US seems to pull off the best performance results (note, I don't equate 0-60mph with 0-100km/h, the equivalent is 0-62mph), there's a simple reason. US magazines generally run their acceleration times by triggering their timing equipment after 1 foot. Aussie magazines trigger the equipment after 1 km/h. The resultant difference can be as much as 0.2s over most measures.

Why do some magazines seem to have disappointing 0-100km/h results? There is definately skill in launching a car and obviously there are various environmental variables and driver related variables. One key variable that can have quite a bit of influence is the choice of shifting points. Australian magazines get their 0-100km/h figures from their 400m runs. For some cars this is not optimal for 0-100km/h - we're talking about cars that are designed to hit 100km/h on the redline (or at least can achieve it in second gear). To achieve the optimal 0-100km/h times, you need to hold second right till the redline, but if a magazine changes to third before 100km/h (ie. optimised towards acceleration for 400m), that gearchange will cost you about 0.3s for 0-100km/h.

I personally think there are better, more important measures of acceleration than standing start drag races, but unfortunately things like 0-100km/h are the only figures generally published by all across the board.

Advertisement

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    [I personally think there are better, more important measures of acceleration than standing start drag races, but unfortunately things like 0-100km/h are the only figures generally published by all across the board.
    Bragging rights is about all they give you ... Yep straight line acceleration is only a small part of a cars overall performance .. but a critical one. Something that takes 15sec to get to the 100 is hardly going to excite people in the handling stakes (even if it's great through the corners).

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

It's a measurement I largely ignore anyway, as it's totally irrelevant.

How often do you accelerate from stop to 100km/h in traffic? How often *can* you accelerate this much? The only thing I can think of is a toll-gate on a highway.

I'd rather see 4th gear 80-120kmh times etc.

I have to say, I'm more interested in engine flexibility, overtaking figures. Cars that you need to rev to 7000 don't interest me that much, sure it might accelerate fast on a racing track, off the line, but chances are its torque delivery would just be a pain in the derrière to deal with.

If the engine's quick in overtaking, it's probably not going to have a problem off the line either.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I'd rather see 4th gear 80-120kmh times etc.

i agree.....i think IN GEAR acceleration is much more important....just look at the well known test done between the crx the swift gti and the 205 gti...and although both swift and crx appear quicker 2 100km/h the 205 absolutely creams all over them in gear..ie 80-130 etc (i m quoting from memory)....i ve driven all three cars and i can say with confidence that the 205 is a much more powerfull and quicker car all round....so much torque compared to swift and crx...one of my mates easily beat me off the line with his sss but when we raced from 100km/h onwards he could not keep up....hell i even managed to get away from a sylvia (stock) at freeway speed...

i think u r right justin in regards to various launching techinques....i think recently one of the magazines (can t remeber which) had serious problems achieving the pug figures for the gti6.....it was only after many tries that they realised that the best times were achieved not by throtle/traction control but by simply flooring it and dumping the clutch...yes there was plenty of wheelspin but results were much better.....i ve found a similar problem with my s16....wheras if i floor the 205gti i am left hardly moving with smoke billowing...so to get decent times throtle control is reasonably important.....with the s16 on the other hand...its pretty much all the way to 4500 and let go the clutch...very very quick....seems much faster than some of the quoted figures of around 8.8 secs....more like high 7s 2 me...

cheers
    dino

Administrator

Only guessing here, but I'm picking that the journos generally try and give a real world figure. Remember, you can now be fined (or have your car confiscated) for doing a burn-out in NSW and Vic.

5000rpm sidestep launches aren't going to go down all that well with the local constabulary, and they probably dont do the car much good either.

I would much rather see a "legal" 0-100 kph time recorded, as it makes for a much fairer comparison...

regards,

Thread Information