Ships & how cars are shipped and handled..
  • Register
  • Help

Icon2 Ships & how cars are shipped and handled..

Whilst driving acroos the Anzac bridge in Sydney I looked to my left & saw hundreds of cars being unloaded off a japanese freighter. Does anyone know how the cars are handled when they are loaded and how are they kept when the ship is months at sea?
    Is there condensation on them? Do they bob about how are they secured down?
    Just an interesting topic from the danielsydney terror?

Advertisement

Imports are either put on the ship "Roll on Roll off" (RORO) which means they are driven onto the ship and driven off at the final destination or they are put in a container which is more expensive. Sometimes the cars come off with a few paint scratches or are broken into for stereos etc.

Huw

Adding a bit to Blueys response, they are usually covered in a beeswax type of protectant and inside each car was a bottle of concentrate to remove the wax with.
    The Wharfies used to wear padding over their boots so that if they needed to get from one side of the hold to the other and to get in & out of the cars for rolling on or off, they could stand carefully on sections of the cars, usually the bumpers or at a pinch edges of guards without causing real big damage.
    When Japanese cars started coming into Australia at first there was a lot of anti-Japanese sentiment left over from the war, as a result, the Wharfies didn't wear the coverings....but often did wear hob nailed boots.
    Many a Toyota I have taken delivery of that had been totally resprayed or had all the top facing surfaces repainted. That was supposedly "accidental damage" but the kicked in doors you'd reckon would have taken a bit of explaining.

Alan S

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    Sometimes the cars come off with a few paint scratches or are broken into for stereos etc.Huw
    Yep, Dealers often have to touch them up (and fit some australian stuff - like the sticker on the luggage net .

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Yep, Dealers often have to touch them up (and fit some australian stuff - like the sticker on the luggage net .

- XTC206 -
    They also need to make some changes for the cars to meet ADRs. One I remember is the side mirror glass, I was told by Peugeot that Australian cars can't have the variable angle ones used in Europe.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    They also need to make some changes for the cars to meet ADRs. One I remember is the side mirror glass, I was told by Peugeot that Australian cars can't have the variable angle ones used in Europe.
    Only on the drivers side ... those must be flat. The passenger one can be parbolic.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

"Roll on Roll off" (RORO) which means they are driven onto the ship and driven off at the final destination or they are put in a container

I was sailing in the Port of Melbourne about a year ago and saw a smaller German ship unloading new Mercedes Benz cars out of its hold in the old fashioned way with a crane and a lifting sling under the wheels. Typical MB.

That must have made the wharfies happy!
    So many projects - so little time.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by 604 tragic
    I was sailing in the Port of Melbourne about a year ago and saw a smaller German ship unloading new Mercedes Benz cars out of its hold in the old fashioned way with a crane and a lifting sling under the wheels. Typical MB. That must have made the wharfies happy!
    MB owners don't want 5kms on their new car ....

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

can the "shipped" cars be insured regardless if it is a "roll on roll off" are in containers?
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    can the "shipped" cars be insured regardless if it is a "roll on roll off" are in containers?
    That's something normally arranged with & by the shipping agent.

Alan S

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yep,

Roll on / Roll off is probably the best, but certainly has it's negatives. eg. You ship a hydraulic Citroen (as happened recently in New Zealand). In that case it was a CX2500 GTi Turbo. The battery was flat so it wouldn't start. They hook it up to a tractor ripping the guts out from under the car as there is no ground clearance, then when they go to stop they find out there's no brakes ...... Front of the cars gets smashed heavily into the back of the tractor. So what was just a dead battery is now a car with a wiped off front, and the guts torn out from under it

I guess the answer is to make sure your car isn't draining the battery before it's shippped, and to fit one of those high capacity ceramic cell batteries that can sit charged for months at a time without going flat !

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Another dumb question out of the rocks in my head.

Do customs or anyone give these cars a good check to see if it contains any illegal "additions", drugs & insects ect.

Are cars ever kept in quarantine?
    Last edited by purrr-geot; 20th November 2003 at 01:08 PM.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    Another dumb question out of the rocks in my head.

Do customs or anyone give these cars a good check to see if it contains any illegal "additions", drugs & insects ect.

Are cars ever kept in quarantine?
    Bit busy at present but I can't resist this one.

A few years back I imported a car in a "Box." It was in bits and packed with motor & transmission and the seats in one box and the wheels a couple of doors and other incidentals in another. I mention that so you get an idea of size; this was no couple of shoe boxes.
    After flying around all the various offices & paying all the necessary fees & charges we went back to the wharves to meet customs, quarantine and all the rest of the various departments that take a bite out of everything that comes in.
    Customs arrives just as we did, so after passing a Toyota lite ace packed from floor to ceiling with computer gear, reading the tag which effectively said "One Toyota Lite Ace" and checking the VIN number to make sure it matched, she moved on to our stuff. I mention to the guy I'm with about the stuff in the Lite Ace and am told "It's the van that's being imported so whatever's in it isn't our business!"
    We move to the car this character's imported that I'm with. They look inside and it's filled with parts which are ignored but he's instructed to open the bonnet. "Where's the engine number?" He points at it, it's checked against the docket, it's right. Where's these boxes? We head across and I grab a jemmy bar & start to open. "What are you doing?" I'm asked. When I reply that I'm opening for inspection the response is "But why? They have car parts in don't they?" I reply "Yes" and we move on.
    Quarantine arrives "Prize bitch this one" says my accomplice. She's in a hurry she informs us (my guess was she was running late for training with the Broncos; after all, they have to have someone solid to pack down the scrum) so she heads first for the car; "Don't even think about driving that car on our roads until it's been thoroughly cleaned" she bellows "Get it over to the washing bay now!! and get all that dust and dirt off; wash under the guards and make sure it's spotless. Where's these boxes?" I point at these two large crates "What's in 'em, car parts? Are they clean?" I say yes so she walks off.
    A Wharfie walks over and I ask him where the run off water from the car wash bay runs, expecting to hear a story about a holding tank & how it's collected in a tanker & disposed in some kind of special facility and am told it just simply drains into the Brisbane River.

So my guess is that providing you don't tell them you've got anything you shouldn't they won't ask and quarantine is something practiced in schools but has no relevance to their idea of reality.

Alan S

Thread Information