Fastest or most powerful car you have driven
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Default Fastest or most powerful car you have driven

What is the fastest or most powerful car you have driven?
    The fastest and most powerful I have driven was a 3.5 litre BMW which had awesome acceleration. Being able to floor it and watch the fuel consumtion meter zoom over 20 l/100k while the speedo raced skywards was a lot of fun . Being in the passenger seat while the performance was demonstrated was a little scary but fun too .

Can't wait to have a go in something with 250+hp now

Advertisement
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Which BMW was that? Being a 3.5... would it be an M60 V8 535/735? Or an M30 engined 535/635/735? Or a 24v M88 M1/M5/M635?

Most powerful car I've driven would be my mum's previous BMW 750iL (220kw), or a friends' dad's Jaguar Sovereign V12 (300bhp).
    Fastest... probably the 750, although my cousin's HSV Clubsport 185i would be close (the HSV was also one of the most disappointing cars I've driven).

Back in highschool, a mate and I did manage to get hold of a highly tuned Morgan Plus 8 for an evening without the knowledge of it's owner. Not sure how much power it made, but whooooaaaa that thing could move!

edit: BTW I got the HSV's trip computer to read an instantaneous 97l/100kms in second gear....
    The 750's trip computer seldom read less than 19 average unless we did an interstate trip. Those cars love to
    Last edited by Jez 405; 19th November 2003 at 03:41 AM.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

nJm

Well so far the most powerful car I've driven has been a Twin Turbo inline 6 Volvo XC90 SUV. Has 200kw and 380nm (at 1800rpm!). However as it weighs 2037kg it wasn't exactly fast.

All this is going to change with a close relative promising me a decent drive of his MY02 BMW M3 SMG this Saturday .
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

In my job I get to "play" with a lot of cars and I use a performance meter to see what they do 0-100 on the road. It's interesting comparing times to magazines like Motor to see the difference because they do it on the drag strip which has lots more grip.

So far the fastest & most powerful I've done is a VYII Commodore SV8 auto which has 245kW, it took 6.09secs. This was just quicker than a 911 Carrera tiptronic which was 6.10secs.

Down the other end of the scale my 205GTi recorded 11.8secs, it wasn't very well...

R32 Nissan Skyline GTR. 206kW+ & 360Nm. These things have so much torque even off boost. Handling is razor sharp and even though sometimes a beast it can dawdle through traffic. Very easy to drive.

I think a car only feels fast if it pushes you hard into your seat.

A lightweighted Torana with a full race 308 engine, I think... that would probably be the most powerful.

The fastest? Not sure... last of the XU-1s was pretty quick, the one with that last cam, the alloy wheels and all. Sat it on 135mph for many miles on end. Was legal those days too...

And then there was my 16TS-engined Clubman...

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Mine would have to be my CX2500 GTi Turbo, however for *feeling* fast I'd say any crummydore made in the last 10years. They design the things to give the "pushed into the seat" feel. That and the fact the tailshaft turns to jelly & vibrates and the whole car shudders makes you *feel* like your really flying. Sure there quick, but not that fast

Someday I'll get around to taking a WRX for a spin, but I'm not really that intersted in the driving them. You can still only do 50km/h just about everywhere around town (amongst the thousands of $Reveue Cameras$ ). The only place you can use the power is overtaking on the highway, however it's illegal to speed while overtaking a car (even if it avoids an accident ). I just love $peed camera$ if you haven't guessed.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

My selection is rather limited. 2 WRX's, 1997 and a 2002 model. The 1997 was quite worked and was by far the quickest car I have driven. This thing was like a rocket in any gear, any revs. The 2002 one was IMHO overrated in any other circumstance other than above 5,000rpm. Driven an RX8, didnt really get a chance to get stuck into it, but was quick none-the-less. Thats about it for exciting cars. Never driven a V8
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Most powerful eh....hmmm....had to think about that.

I've driven a mates 260 rwkw 200sx on occasion, but I'm shit-scared of it. It lit up the rears at 80kmh with 265 Azenis' in the dry.....I only did that once and realised it was beyond my level of skill. It was built for the track and does a 68 second lap at Wakefield.

We once had a VTII Clubsport in the family and that was dynoed at ~190 rwkw...not that it means anything in the days of dodgy dyno readings.

I've been a passenger in a 10second RX7 and an 11 second RX3 (AJC13B + TOY12A for the rotor buffs). I've also been a passenger in BLO215...the 550hp VN streetmachine.

Speaking of 3.5 litre BMW's, there is a replica Alpina B6 3.5 that parks outside my house on occasion. The noise this thing makes is absolutely amazing.

Probably our mechanics old 13B turbo RX3 sedan. Running 16PSI, massive injectors, rear tyres twice as wide as most road car fats, and pretty much every other possible performance modification a rotor can have, this thing had some serious power (not sure exactly for a figure, but I'd be guessing with all the bits it'd be pushing an easy 250kw+ at the flywheel, in a very, very lightweight car. Was scary. I only drove it for about 5 minutes, but the sound was intoxicating, and the lack of build quality and solidity in it certainly was not confidence inspiring.

Nick

Cal

Hmmm........the fastest is either dad's old 2 door STi or a 13 second 200 SX I drove the other day. Didn't have a chance to let the 200 loose though......neither the 2 door STi really. I have driven dad's current MY00 STi at Morgan Park for quite a few laps. Sure it's fast, but not my cup of tea. It was no faster than my Sprinter and no where near as much fun. Others include Lotus Super 7, Integra Type R race car (fastest point to point car I have ever driven), an 850 Mini with 105hp at the wheels was pretty fun. That thing used to dust off VL Group A Dunnydores in a straight line and lap Lakeside as quick as a 911.

As a passenger, I have been lucky enough to go taken for a spin in a Ferrari 365 GT4, Ferrari 308 GT4, Ferrari 308 GTB (glass bodied), Maserati Khamsin, Lancia Delta Intergrale EVO 3 (Nurburgring), 427 Cobra, BMW E30 M3 (Nurburgring)......testing my memory beyond that. Still no fast 911.....damn it!

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

hmmm..this is an interesting one...

i ve had a go at aa few but quikest by far have been a mid 10s rx3....absolutelly unbelievable that these things can be roadregistrable...i ve had a go in a blown (beltdriven)xb 351...but never gave it plenty....u could tell it could have an mc laren for lunch 1/4 second wise......the old xygt felt bloody quick 2,...then ther was the worked 308 torana (as a passanger)...well lets just say try and avoid eating or drinking mc donalds while at the lights...crap was all over me...my mate thought it was funny...

then ther was the 6.3 merc..we r talking early seventies here....trust me on this ,..unless your car can do low 6s (2 100km/h) dont even bother taking one of these on.....

the 540beemer....geeez these things move...with stealth...and although just a microsecond slower (back in mid 90s) than your local hsv over the 1/4...but after that they leave the hsvees for dead...

i thrashed a jensen once....brutal but comfy....
    ahh there are many more.....but to finish of...is the graetest disspontment...
    a 924 porsche (auto)..what a pile of junk....i reckon a good 404 could beat this car without problems....

one car i wouldn t mind giving a go (but he will not let anybody drive it) is a datsun 120y with a sr20det turbo (240kw at wheels)...driven by the fitter at autobarn mentone...just not right...

ahh before i forget....i loved the power of the little gtir...

OHHH...AND WHEN IT COMES TO NA POWER PER LITRE WELL MY NEW S16 IS VERY IMPRESSIVE.....I VE LET A FEW OF MY COLEGUES AT AUTOBARN DRIVE IT...AND THEY WERE ALL VERY IMPRESSED...VERY QUICK LITTLE MACHINE WAS THE OVERALL CONCENSUS...maybe i make some converts...or at least spread the word....

CHEERS
    DINO

i have driven a few cars,

the top few would be

1. Ferrari 355 F1 (even if it was only for about 5 minutes)
    2. Audi S6 Twin Turbo thing
    3. E55? AMG Merc (dads old car, i used to drive it all the time )
    4. my old Audi 200 Quattro Turbo (dont know about power, but damn it was fast)

and of course all the usual subarus, evo's etc. (My step bro's a car dealer)
    Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

Hi,

Have't driven too many fast cars. Must say my fathers old 6.9 merc was one quick car. It could beat pretty much anything off at the lights it had citroen suspension under it so it was stable well over 250. We went out west one day and we where passing trucks at around 260 and it wanted to keep going faster! It was huge and the doors where huge wads of steel. Cost more than a rolls in 1979.

Nick

4. my old Audi 200 Quattro Turbo (dont know about power, but damn it was fast)

they r pretty bloody quick, rnt they....

i ve got an old 5+5 (excellent con minus broken rear lens which i can not seem to find anywhere)....
    I d love to drop the 4x4 into this and turbo the thing....car has only done 170 000....but i m thinking complete driveline swap would be easy....one day...if ever?

not meaning to hijack but has anybody heard of one of these motors (5cyl front wheel drive) ever transplanted into a DS....

cheers
    dino

Quote Originally Posted by dino

they r pretty bloody quick, rnt they....
    i miss my old Audi , i guess you should never leave your keys lying around in a flat, or your incompetent ,no licence flate will aqua plane it in to a lamp post at 100kmh ,if i had been there he wouldnt have walked away from it
    Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

fastest car i have ever been driving would have been a 404 i once had that lost it's brakes
    now that felt really fast especially as i knew i had to stop at a T intersection about 300m down the road
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Originally posted by pugrambo
    Fastest car I have ever been driving would have been a 404 I once had that lost it's brakes
    Now that felt really fast especially as I knew I had to stop at a T intersection about 300m down the road
    Now that's a reality check all right!

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    fastest car i have ever been driving would have been a 404 i once had that lost it's brakes
    now that felt really fast especially as i knew i had to stop at a T intersection about 300m down the road
    thats a bit scary ,i had that happen to me once on the wellington motorway, lucky it was late at night and there was no traffic, apparantly my disc's were so thin the pads fell out! had to use the handbrake and slushbox to stop.

what happened with your brakes?
    Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

[QUOTE=Pugnut403]What is the fastest or most powerful car you have driven? ]

Changing Pugnut's criteria from the sublime to the stupid:

The car I've driven the fastest: Keeping up with the Citroen XMs and 406s on the Languedoc Autoroute between Narbonne and Perpignan in the South of France required 205kph in a 1999 1.2 Litre Barina (Opel Corsa) hire car. Downhill only. Uphill was another matter.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_Mi16
    thats a bit scary ,i had that happen to me once on the wellington motorway, lucky it was late at night and there was no traffic, apparantly my disc's were so thin the pads fell out! had to use the handbrake and slushbox to stop.

what happened with your brakes?
    it had just been in to get a few things done to it including brakes while i was at work
    i picked the car up and they were just finishing it off
    they put a new master in it but forgot to tighten everything up so hence after a few applications of the pedal and vibrations of travelling the cylinder came away and dangled flopped around and damaged
    i was mightily annoyed and very pissed off
    big words and threat of death were involved
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by Pugnut403
    The fastest and most powerful I have driven was a 3.5 litre BMW which had awesome acceleration.
    Can't wait to have a go in something with 250+hp now
    I once helped tune a 635 BMW which had a modified M5 engine it (3.5L twin cam). My role was to program the Haltech. It got to 200hp @ 4500 (at the wheels), about the same as a healthy 5L V8, and I thought this is OK. Then it came on the cams and went around to 250hp @ 7000. Awesome.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Hi, my daily driver is a VY SS Commodore and it's no slouch. 225Kw 6 speed. I've had two SS's now and am quite impressed given I'd really prefer a Pug (the SS is the best I could do from the list available via work). I reckon the SS is a bit like a stiffer 504 with grunt.

I now intend to try the opposition and have a BA XR8 ordered. It will be interesting to compare.

Cheers

Jim

I've had the pleasure of driving many Grunt cars, most fron 70's/80's eraDino Ferrari, Trans Am, Bolwell Nagari, Speedway Speedcars ond V8 Super modifieds and of course my R10.
    Talking of seat chucking the R10 is awesome in this respect.
    Top speed dosen't count for much, the shortness of time, to get to the cars top speed is the stuff, thrills & Adrenaline rushes are made of.
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

Fellow Frogger!

Man some of you guys have been lucky to be able to drive some nice and quick cars.

Mine was my my own Datto 1600 with CA18DET turbo power in a 1000kg car makes a flying machine.

Then there's passenger only been in a 180sx CA18DET stroked to 2.1L that was awesome. Yet another CA18DET engine in a front wheel Pnitara now that was scary no traction and power = dirty undies!

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information