LG or Panasonic air cons?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default LG or Panasonic air cons?

Sorry...off topic...but just need some quick opinions... (will delete topic later...)

We are installing a air con, and after brief research it comes down to LG (cheaper but as good) and Panasonic (was told as one of the best?) We are looking at a split reverse-cycle system around $1000.

Which one should I go for? I have no idea about brand reliability/performance etc, and can only rely on what the sales rep says... any comments or suggestions? Thanks.

Advertisement

Also, it costs around $550 in have it installed, so expensive...

1000+ Posts

No need to delete the topic -that's what General Chit Chat is for.

Whilst I've never owned an LG product myself, I know plenty of people who have, and they've never had an issue with anything.

I know as far as washing machines go they're some of the best in terms of energy use and water use - are their air con units more energy efficient than say the Panasonic?

That would be my most important selection criteria - energy consumption. If the LG uses less, go for it Air con isn't *that* cheap to run after all.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by rc968
    Sorry...off topic...but just need some quick opinions... (will delete topic later...)

We are installing a air con, and after brief research it comes down to LG (cheaper but as good) and Panasonic (was told as one of the best?) We are looking at a split reverse-cycle system around $1000.

Which one should I go for? I have no idea about brand reliability/performance etc, and can only rely on what the sales rep says... any comments or suggestions? Thanks.

Also, it costs around $550 in have it installed, so expensive...

Fellow Frogger!

have you tried the auction places/clearance warehouses?

daiken is supposed to top although mitsubishi and fujitsu are supposed to be very good also.

from memory they were also much more energy efficient. although as you may know more expensive to purchase

I find CHOICE magazine is great for these types of things - they test everything out. Have a look at this comparison:

http://www.choice.com.au/goArticle.aspx?id=102618&p=1

Based on 3.5kW models in that test, buy the LG. Not only is it cheaper, but it performs better than the Panasonic.

Don't worry about the fact it's Korean, my PC screen at home is by LG and it is great. I actually prefer it to Sony's Trinitron screens (hopelessly overrated when I bought the computer, I couldn't care less if it was made by Sony, the picture was nothing great).

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Well, I don't want to go against the flow just for the hell of it, but as a retired fridge mechanic who also serviced other major appliances, there's not a salesman in the World who could sell me anything Korean in an household appliance; I've had far too many dramas with them over the years.
    Don't get me wrong, they can & often do perform extremely well, but the Korean philosophy is the scarey bit; they simply do not beleive in any form of servicing...end of story. At one stage we had to try & buy spare parts from I think it was Rheem Hot Water systems for Goldstar washing Machines; kidding that wasn't fun & parts prices...YIKES!! It was cheaper to buy a new Goldstar twin tub than it was to replace a spin motor and a timer for the same machine was as much as one for a Simpson auto which was academic anyway because most times we couldn't source the parts.
    One of my sons then bought a monitor which promptly cracked up; after getting it replaced once they told us they wouldn't do it again as the warranty only covered one replacement. When we tried to get back to the company, (the hon Mr Rhee) they'd shifted with no forwarding address. (ie) Gone broke. Then they got another; made in Korea to "Australian design standards" (I love that one.) Again after several replacements (about 10 from memory) and arguments including some monitors that were R/S straight out of the box, they shut up shop too. Again no parts available.
    Back when I was still operating the business, I got a call to a "Frigidaire" frost free fridge that had blown a defrost heater. On other Email frost frees, this was a $28 part plus 1 hours fitting; not with this, I was quoted an absolutely mind blowing price due to not being able to buy a heater element but having to buy a complete evaporator coil which meant a major mechanical and electrical strip down, open the system, rebraze, evacuate & recharge as well as major wiring; why? because they were made in Korea & hence components came in modules and it became a major job. I asked the local service agent what it would be likely to work out to, parts & labour and was told around $550
    That's why I won't buy Korean
    Panasonic I think is Malaysian made and not too bad as regards quality & service but my choice would be Fujitsu if made in Japan, Singapore or Malaysia but again, if Korean I would keep on walking.
    We bought a couple of Fujitsus for the boys bedrooms last Summer & they have performed brilliantly.
    Their history in RACs and split systems is long and extemely successful whilst Panasonic is an offshoot of National and usually make good stuff based on experience. As I say, the LG could be really good stuff but I'll lay quids if you run into strife you'll be all on your own as some times the in-built obscelence kicks in a bit quick & that in my opinion is the basis for all Korean manufacturing Industry. Another risk at present too is that if North Korea keeps playing with the "Big Bunger" and trade sanctions are placed on them, the problems I've had with parts and service could pale into insignificance.

Alan S

Daikin, Daikin or Daikin are the brands you should be considering, in terms of performance, reliability and service. You'll notice they aren't sold at Harvey Norman, Bing Lee etc. Sure they aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Panasonic I think is Malaysian made and not too bad as regards quality & service but my choice would be Fujitsu if made in Japan, Singapore or Malaysia but again, if Korean I would keep on walking.
    Alan,

How can you generalise like that? Panasonic is a member of the giant Matsushita Corporation, which is Japanese. Their products could be made anywhere in Asia.

I cannot say anything bad about Samsung product - I love their monitors and own plenty of them. Samsung monitors make Sony which are 50% more expensive look like they are backlit with candles.

Derek

The first time I find anything Korean in appliances worth buying, ye shall be the first to know my son.
    I generalise because every time I have taken Korean crap on its merits, they've got me every time regardless of brand or guarantees that this time it'll be different!!
    As I said, it seems to be in the culture as I explained in my post.

Alan S

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    Alan,

How can you generalise like that? Panasonic is a member of the giant Matsushita Corporation, which is Japanese. Their products could be made anywhere in Asia.

I cannot say anything bad about Samsung product - I love their monitors and own plenty of them. Samsung monitors make Sony which are 50% more expensive look like they are backlit with candles.

Derek
    Regarding Panasonic a la Matsushitu ("National" in the old language) when I looked at their range, it was manufactured in Malaysia which is why I considered it. Had it been Korean, I wouldn't have for the reasons outlined before.
    Also the potential of trade sanctions has to be accounted for; if you think it's immaterial, talk to some Citroen people when the Froggies were blowing up Muraroa Atoll & ask what happens when trade sanctions come on.

Alan S

I'm currently viewing Aussiefrogs on my wonderful three year old Korean LG Flatron screen. We have a Samsung fax that's been working fine for years.

They're certainly improving, and I think you'll be shocked by Hyundai's ranking in the What Car reliability index.

See this post: http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...8703#post78703

I don't think trade sanctions are a real issue, we're dealing with products from South Korea, not North Korea.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Icon2

Does north Korea make any cars or is it just WMD? (axis of evil)

nJm

We used to only buy National/Panasonic appliances in the 80s and early 90s (I still have a Japanese made portable National stereo which still works fine and has surprisingly good sound quality). However since then we have bought a few Samsung products and have had no problems at all. Actually our Samsung VCR has been much better than our Mitsubishi VCR in terms of reliability (the mitsubishi one won't always eject tapes or let you put them in). Although on the other hand, the Mitsubishi and Panasonic VCRs in the house have a sharper picture than the Samsung (this might be ok though as the Mitsubishi cost $800 back in 1998 and the Samsung cost around $200 a year ago). We also have a Samsung 17" computer screen. It has been no worse than any other screen over the years, although in terms of quality (both picture and general construction) it is no match for my 17" Mitsubishi Diamondtron screen.

I think they are coming a long way though. LG certainly are respected for being excellent value for money. They aren't as expensive as a Sony or a Philips but they are getting closer in regards to quality. I'd be more worried about the $250 51cm Hyundai TV that I've seen in various stores... (that reminds me, sit in a new Hyundai car and then a Pug 206 and you might be surprised by the peugeot's comparatively cheap feeling interior).
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Daikin, Daikin or Daikin are the brands you should be considering, in terms of performance, reliability and service. You'll notice they aren't sold at Harvey Norman, Bing Lee etc. Sure they aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for.
    Couldn't agree more ... fantastic units. The scroll inverter models (which some groups are copying now) are quieter, more energy efficent and better on the unit overall (life wise).

But they carry a premium to be expected.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Does north Korea make any cars or is it just WMD? (axis of evil)
    Remember ...

"Politics, Religion & current World affairs must be abstained from any posts due to the inflammatory nature of such discussions because of their potential to inadvertantly create ill feelings between members."

Not that I havn't had posts removed because of such material !

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah I heard Daikin are pretty good, unfortunaly the higher-price really puts it out of range... The installation costs are already way more then we expected...

With LG (or Korean) stuff, just that I have never really had one before and are not sure aout their reliability or service. But I suppose every brand deserves a chance...

More shop-around this weekend then...

Thread Information