Now you know why we call 'em this up here
  • Register
  • Help

Icon10 Now you know why we call 'em this up here

If I sometimes sound a bit harsh when I refer to 4WDs as Wank Tanks, Wally Trollies and the like, it's for good reason; this is the kind of things they do up here all the time. Pity they didn't put the same pics on the net that they published in the paper...as they say; a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!!

http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au...5E2765,00.html

Who says there isn't a God? At least none of these will be spending any more time sitting a foot off the back of my car at 100 kph.

Alan S

Advertisement

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    If I sometimes sound a bit harsh when I refer to 4WDs as Wank Tanks, Wally Trollies and the like, it's for good reason; this is the kind of things they do up here all the time.
    Natural selection I'd say.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I particularly liked the bit about the proposed web cameras:

"Mr Rye said the RACQ and a Rainbow Beach tourism organisation planned to install Web cameras at the trouble spot so visitors could check the rocks before they set off."

Would be a good web site to visit for a laugh.
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

that is a crackup! ^_^ I must say I get a little salty at the 4wd's around the city. It just seems that they are a waste of car, now that they are a status and class asserting item! I guess I am just kut up because being tailgated by a city bus blinds me, but I can put up with the commies because their headlights dont shine straight into my rearview and blind me. Anyway, nice article. There should be a tax for people with 4wd who dont need them. There are much more practical family cars out there (renault^^) and much more practical 4wd's too!
    (purplepugWA)

i cant stand those 4wd's in the city, its one of those things that backed into my Mi16 ,the drivers' excuse: ' sorry mate, i didnt see you down there'

i mean come on, it was the middle of the day,and my car is bright red!!
    Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

To put this even more into perspective, the excuse used by most around here for spending mega bucks on these things is so "we can go over to 'the Island' for a weekend if we feel like it."
    Most of them never see "The Island" because the reality that they will be getting driven in sand and salt water usually sets in when the barge stops 200 metres out and the bargemaster tells them they have to drive off in water almost a metre deep & plough through the sand. There's no made roads, all sand tracks & most of these Queen street cowboys need satellite navigation to find the bathroom so they follow the beach and drive into these blow holes, washouts and springs.
    On the other side of the coin; if I want to go over, for about $500 I can hire a 4WD which comes complete with tent, sleeping bags etc and all the gear I need for a 3 day weekend; that's for the entire family! I get a run down on where the roads go, all the hazards and how to spot them and when I come back I hand my grotty sand & salt covered tank back to the hirer who has it washed & oiled & if I break down they send a rescue vehicle over to get me out of strife.
    Alternatively, for about $30/$40 each way per person, I can get flown over & landed on the beach near the camp ground or accomodation & at a predetermined time, arrange for the plane to come back & collect me & drop me back to the airport, or catch an air/con'd Cruiser and float over, be greeted by a land taxi then choose between a weekend with the feet up or guided tours and again come home & be dropped off at the door.
    After 15 years I still haven't found a "need" to own one & I've probably had as many "weekends over on the Island" as most of these have....just ask my wife.

Alan S

Originally posted by Alan S
    To put this even more into perspective, the excuse used by most around here for spending mega bucks on these things is so "we can go over to 'the Island' for a weekend if we feel like it."
    Most of them never see "The Island".....
    Yeah, been hearing this petty excuse for years!

People buy cars for their holidays and put up with their 'everyday use' deficiencies all year round... I'll never understand it!

You spend a fortnight or maybe four weeks on holidays, the rest of the time you have to punt it in the city traffic or whatever...

Nuts...

By the way, what do the insurance companies say about all of this?

$1.5m per year there... that must be boosing premiums for a lot of people who don't try to run that particular gauntlet!

UFO

You would have to think the insurance co's have an out clause in their premiums that gets them out of having to pay for "off road" use. I hope they do anyway
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Guys,

you have it all wrong. The sh!t for brains middle aged women DO need these huge tanks. My sister traded her immaculate 3.5litre V6 Magna that was only a couple of years old with about 70,000kms on it for a hidious big chunk of sh!t Ford Raider. She reckons it's fantastic... Though her opinion of it's dropped since I've called her a sh!+ for brains middle aged women everytime I've seen her since she bought it. Still they HAD to have it as a Magna certainly isn't big enough for 2kids (funny my parents managed with a Renault10s quite well with 3kids ).

They did go up to the Murray River with it once and did some "4 wheel driving". I asked them if they unwound the front diff properly before dissengaging it?? Very blank expressions .... "You know, the locking hubs, did you unwind the front diff before unlocking the hubs?". Well they'd put the little gearstick into "4wd" but hadn't turned the locking hubs ... Yep a 4wd sure was needed

Then a few months back my sister drove the whole 2 blocks down to the school the pick a kid up. She gets bogged on a damp patch of grass out the front of the school. She's there with about 6 other sh!+ for brains middle aged women in 4wds and none of them, not even 1 new how to put the big chunk of sh1t into 4wd so it could be driven off the wet bit of grass. She certainly didn't ring me to ask (she probably new it'd take me half on hour of rolling on the floor laughing before I'd have enough composure to even answer ). All the time everyone else in there proper little front wheel drives is just coming & going.

The best bit ?? They just bought a brand new family car as my brother in laws ute get put off the road. So what is the family car when a full sized 3.5litre V6 Magna wouldn't fit 2 kids in You guessed it a little Hyundi Accent

Man she makes it waaaaaayyyyy to easy for me to stir her up

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    You would have to think the insurance co's have an out clause in their premiums that gets them out of having to pay for "off road" use. I hope they do anyway
    I think I read an article about a year ago stating that big 4WDs were starting to cost the insurance companies more money, because they had higher claims on average. This would be because:
    1. The laws of physics: a 2 tonne object travelling at 60kmp/h causes a lot more damage than a 1 tonne object travelling at 60kmp/h.
    2. They're usually driven by idiots.

However, the ever diplomatic insurance company said that it wouldn't be raising premiums for 4WDs, as it didn't want to p!ss off their owners. The extra cost would be borne out across all policies.

So, let me get this right: I pay more because, as a 25 year old, statistically,
    I am more likely to crash; I pay more because the car I drive is considered a performance car, and statistically, the people driving it are more likely to crash it; I pay more because the suburb I garage the car is considered high risk; and I pay more because of all OTHER the people who drive 4WDs are, statistically, more likely to generate higher claims.

It irks me that I pay more on a 3rd party property damage policy due to the suburb I live in. Since the policy doesn't cover theft, I fail to see how the suburb where I garage the car is relevant in any way. I explained this to the "sales representative" on the phone, who understood, and completely agreed with me, but was, of course, still unable to explain why this was the case, or hand me over to someone who could.

JG.
    Care factor = -273.15ļC

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Who says there isn't a God? At least none of these will be spending any more time sitting a foot off the back of my car at 100 kph.
    Alan S
    Have you ever thought about:

Fitting some nice long electrically operated telescopic radiator spikes to the back of you car?

Or a bloddy great 200W Halogen spotlight to shine in their faces?

Or moving a little to the right, then brake testing them (foot on throttle and brakes at same time) in the hope that they will simultaneously hit the brakes and swing to the left, resulting in the Wank Tank ploughing off onto the dirt verge, sliding sideways, hitting a rock and turning over?

The last time I contemplated all of the above was when being tailgated by a "sh!t-for-brains-middleaged-woman" (thanks for the terminology DoubleChevron) driving one of those hideous new 7 litre diesel Ford F250 SUV's along a dual carriageway with the overtaking lane empty.

I must stress that the above suggestions are only fantasies, and I am not recommending that any Froggers try this at home, but nice to think about eh?
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

As i tell many of my friends, when i become rimeminister of this great land the first laws i am going to bring in are (in no particular order) 1. Ban all smoking outside of your own house (that includes back yards) or when anyone is around (includeing family memebers! Social smoker my ass! ) 2. Make german car manufacturers re-align their bright head lights so they don't shine in peoples eyes 10 times brighter than other normal cars and most importantly 3. BAN ALL 4WD'S FROM ENTERING SUBURBAN AREAS! I dont care where you park the bloody thing, but as soon as you hit suburbia in any town of more than 20 people it isn't driving through! If the farmer will let you drive around good luck to you, otherwise sell the thing! 4WD's really piss me off

Benny 4 PM hehehhe
    206 1.6 XT Auto China Blue in the house.

Hopefully soon to be C3...or C2.....owner.....maybe.....one day....I hope!!!!!

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    I am 99% certain you are not covered while on the beach.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

must remember to borrow a mate's German 4WD and have a ciggie around Benny next time.

Don't know where the German car comment came from, I've never had a problem with them.

What a ******.....

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    I am 99% certain you are not covered while on the beach. Cal.
    Generally that is correct, but you can be covered under certain policies .. most of the people here in a WA 4WD club are covered for off road/beach etc. The insurance is sorted via the club for club members.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Alan... I've posted the link on another forum and had a response from a guy whose parents live at Mooloolabah... he reckons he used to go up to Rainbow all the time and he's never heard of this happening.

Now I don't know how long he's been living in America, and he is, but maybe it's all happened since he left?

Anyway, he reckons the figures are highly inflated.

Is there any way of providing evidence that it's not just a beat-up?

Well Ray, if I can find where the local 4WD hire company parks it's wrecks these days, I might be able to take a photo so all can see. The place they used to keep them is now a housing estate...that ought to tell him something, and that was just the stuff from central Fraser Island not Rainbow Beach.
    I live near the Airport & there's rarely a week goes by the Energex chopper isn't flying over on its way to the hospital with a couple of these tossers on board.

Alan S

I'm under fire over this, Alan... you say the mass of wrecks are from Central Fraser Id... what's that got to do with Rainbow Beach?

Specifically, the newspaper says that this very spot on Rainbow Beach has claimed one a week on average for the past 24 years. Is that right or not?

And are there warning signs on the beach?

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Ray, yeah, there are plenty of warnings including a great collection of photos in the local servo/shop. Not many of the tour operators make the mistake but the unwary can easily get caught.

It's a long way home via the south end of the beach so people risk it by coming around the rocks when the tide is coming in. The other thing is, of course, that many people don't know how to use their 4WD properly and as with other motorists should be trained!

I've been careful not to enter this thread before - remember you can own a heap of Peugeots and a 4WD as well. I think it is a real pity Peugeot don't have a 4WD (even imported Dangels), I'd own one!!

Cheers

Jim

Added to this Ray, I think you'll find that someone posted some pics here a while back (possibly pugrambo?) of a Pajero taking swimming lessons and wasn't that somewhere in this vicinity?
    I doubt you'll get too many to admit to it; after all, try to get one to admit to tailgating, parking in disability spaces, barging through roundabouts, deliberatly driving slowly in the middle of a simgle lane road etc and these guys have the added disadvantage of going fishing at the same time.
    Remember the old proverb?
    "Lo the weekend fisherman; he riseth early in the morning & disturbeth the entire household. His preparations hath been plentiful, his costs high, he ventures forth into the morning mist and doth toil all of the day. And when he returneth, his body has been burnteth by the Sun, his hands are empty, he smelleth of dead fish and his breath smell strongeth of stale liquer...............and the truth is not to be found within him!!" I think just about says it all. As Jim says, the stories about them up here are common even though they are a fair way away from me. I know locally, there's so many that the local rag doesn't even bother reporting them; almost a case of "Yeah right; the sun came up too."
    I'd suggest e-mailing the author & asking the question. Most of their articles have the journos name at the head & the respective e-mail addys for them are on the "contact" page for their journalistic team.

Alan S

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    must remember to borrow a mate's German 4WD and have a ciggie around Benny next time.

Don't know where the German car comment came from, I've never had a problem with them.
    I thought that might be the response i got

No the german cars (excludeing VW because they are ok) are really bright when your travelling on roads without street lights. I regually drive along homebush bay drive at night and they are so bright and straight in your eyes it gets hard to see without stars! (and no i dont look directly into them ) Lady game drive around where Deka and I live is also very bad, as well as monavale road! 4WD's really suck when they come up behind you and are a general nusence!

To top it all off, i don't expect to be voted PM any time soon, so you can just ignore my comments if you choose!

Benny

Bennymarsh,

The glare you have a problem with is because of those stupid, expensive, dangerous Xenon lights that have become trendy lately, especially with BMW. They are not a sensible type of light. Quartz halogen is still the best type of lighting for brightness and clarity in most conditons, while keeping glare under control.

Xenon is an example of marketting getting the upper hand over sensible design.

Contrary to popular misconception, old fashioned yellowish white light, properly aimed, is best for night vision in most driving conditions.

If anyone wants to query my protestations, I'll dig up some evidence for you. But it won't be today as I've got too much work to do.
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

Thats what i'll ban then While im at it i'll deport Linc for not respecting my opinions as PM! Not going to put up with that sort of crap in my country
    Benny

Thread Information