How much for a 505?
  • Register
  • Help

Default How much for a 505?

I've been offered a 1984 Auto 505 STi in near mint condition with 39,000 km on the clock; the owner doesn't want to trade it in as the dealers aren't interested and are offering insulting money. How much does everybody think it might be worth?

Advertisement
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

ok
    put it this way
    my mother sold her 604 in 92-93 it was an 81 model
    it had 18000km's on it and it was mint
    still had parts labels on suspension parts and the like
    the car was brand new
    it was sold for $15000 to a bloke in young
    sad day for my mother but anyway

i can't say how much the 505 would be worth but the above might give you an idea
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Suppose you can't go much fairer than go with the valuations by "The Book" as per Drive.com

http://www.drive.com.au/buy/market_v...&body=4D+SEDAN

http://www.drive.com.au/buy/market_value/search_results.asp?from=main&make=PEUGEOT&model=50 5&series=STi&year=1984&body=4D+SEDAN

Extra good car would go slightly above the retail price shown for a private sale car in good/excellent condition.

Alan S

Icon7

Redbook has it down for $2900. National average price - private sale.

http://www.redbook.com.au/Vehiclesea...PEUG84AI&veh=y

Ralph.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

ok
    put it the other way
    the average price for a very good 604 in 92-93 was around 1/2 of what mum got for her car
    if the 505 has genuine low km's and is mint then it will be worth more than what a book is going to say
    on the other hand you have to find someone who is willing to pay the price for the car
    if the car is mint then someone who is looking for basically the best 505 in the country and the price doesn't scare them away even though it maybe say $5000 more than what the book price is then so be it
    when mum sold her car it wasn't for sale so the ball was in our court
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Here's the price as shown on Drive.com.

4050-4950 Private sale

3000-4500 Trade - in

6400-7680 Dealer price.

I assume the 39K klms shown is on a speedo that doesn't zero at 100K klms.
    Otherwise it is a case of what number comes before the 39.
    "Crystal ball appraisals" were never my forte' so I have to look at two scenarios.

First: The car is a ball tearer, as new, well serviced still not only looks new but smells it too. No Autobarn fathers day seat cover specials hiding where the previous owner used to drop the odd fag butt on the seat and burn holes in it. Ash tray unused, no nicotine stains on the roof lining and ash tray as it came off the showroom. No dings from where the mower used to bounce around in the boot. No rusty crappy froth in the cooling system and when the dip stick is pulled out it doesn't look like it came from a jar of molasses. No dash cracks or twisted distorted plastics internally and the paint isn't going dull or patchy, in fact, turn back the hands of time & the car looks it's mileage age (ie) 2years.
    Then I would say it's a $7500 car max.

Second: It has some or all of the faults mentioned above. The mileage proves to be genuine but it requires a fair amount of restoration work to make the description of "mint" condition. (ie) Straight but rust free body, seats starting to fade, paint a bit average.
    My guess on that description would be $3500 - $4500 based on costs involved to restore.
    However, if the mileage is sus, then from $1500 up to $3000 depending on the actual condition of the car and the degree of neglect or required restoration.

That's about as good as I can get. Hope it's some help.

Alan S
    Last edited by Alan S; 16th November 2003 at 12:11 AM.

I haven't seen the car for probably 5 years, it belongs to the father of a bloke I used to work with, so the mileage is genuine. As far as the rest of it goes, it is in that darkish metallic blue and it really did look in very good nick, having being garaged all its life, woolly seat covers, weathershield, a country car etc. I would have to have a look at it now to really get a 'gut reaction' feeling about what it is worth, but I reckon if it's as good as my memory serves, $3500 would be a good starting price. Thanks to all for your input though, keep it coming!
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _

nJm

I think you could ask more than $3500. To give you an idea about 30 months ago I bought a 1983 505 GR with 255,000 country kms for $4200. It was the *best* condition 505 on sale at the time. Interior was perfect, paint was almost perfect (appart from some 'sand blasting' on the bonnet). Mechanicals were original, in that some how it had been driven so gently that nothing had needed replacing until my heavy right foot started driving it. All the mechanics that have serviced it have commented that they haven't seen another early 505 in such good condition.

505's have depreciated a bit since then, but a 'perfect' condition 505 sedan can still be seen advertised for up to $5,000.

One thing though, since having it the poor 505 hasn't been able to live in a garage like it used to. The roof has scratches from animals getting on it, it has parking bings from other people's doors and rust has appeared in a few places. If you buy this one keep it the way you found it!!!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

scenario
    the car is still in new condition and has the genuine mileage on it, it is mint.

Q1 why are they selling it ?
    Q2 are they after something smaller maybe ?

if they are just after a new car for no better reason than they would just like to have a new car then if i were them i wouldn't be in a hurry to sell it and i would be asking for offers of around $10-11k as a starting point

as i mentioned above if someone is after a "new" car but not a new car if you know what i mean then this is the only one there is that we know of so basically they can within reason set a price above the book price

AlanS
    can you recall what a 604 in very good condition was worth by the book in 92-93 ?
    what i am saying is the car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it and how long they want to sit on it for
    sure if you can get the car from them for $3500 then you have the bargain of the year but would that be fair to the person who is selling the car not knowing what he may be able to get for it from someone who is willing to pay say $10-11k for it

from memory a very good 604 with around 170k would have sold for around $4-6k in 92-93 yet mum got far more than that and it was yet again sold far a bit less then that around 18months to 2 years later to someone who wanted the best 604 that basically money could buy
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

ok
    bringing this back up to the top as this type of thing interests me
    what was the outcome ?
    did the car stay put or has someone got this car for a ridiculously low price
    lower than what it is worth ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Funny... nobody asked if it has those useless metric-sized wheels.

They would take a little of the shine off... but I think if it's an absolutely as-new car, someone who would like a new 505 and naturally realises that there's no such thing would probably be prepared to pay a premium. $3,500 would be chicken feed...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Funny... nobody asked if it has those useless metric-sized wheels.

They would take a little of the shine off... but I think if it's an absolutely as-new car, someone who would like a new 505 and naturally realises that there's no such thing would probably be prepared to pay a premium. $3,500 would be chicken feed...
    especially when there is an86 GTi in the 4 sale section for $5500 with a lot k's on it than this one we are talking about here

i still reckon a starting point around $10-11k

worth it for a new 505 in my opinion
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I'm still waiting to hear back from the bloke I used to work with...knowing Tony, I'll probably have to chase him. My comment about $3500 as a starting price means exactly that; a starting price. I expect to have to work my way upwards to reach something mutually agreeable where neither of us feels like we're being ripped off. Realistically though, the car is 19 years old and to most people who care little about cars, old-fashioned; the final price needs to reflect this, considering that the same people would regard a 3-4 year old Commodore or Falcon for $12-13K a much better buy. I'll keep you informed.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _

Quote Originally Posted by boodek
    I'm still waiting to hear back from the bloke I used to work with...knowing Tony, I'll probably have to chase him. My comment about $3500 as a starting price means exactly that; a starting price. I expect to have to work my way upwards to reach something mutually agreeable where neither of us feels like we're being ripped off. Realistically though, the car is 19 years old and to most people who care little about cars, old-fashioned; the final price needs to reflect this, considering that the same people would regard a 3-4 year old Commodore or Falcon for $12-13K a much better buy. I'll keep you informed.
    i still tend to think that the thinking of the car as old is still wrong
    read my earlier posts about my mothers car
    it was 11-12 year old when it was sold and it went for over twice the price of a good car at the time
    this car if it is as good/new as it sounds is worth more than the book price
    the old addage you get what you pay for
    now then if my mother still had her 604 it would have about the same mileage as this 505 has now and there is no way that it would be worth the book price of around $3000 for a new 604

what you are looking at is a new 505
    for someone who wants a 505 what would they be willing to pay for a new one ?
    i think somewhere else in this forum there are some new prices of 504's that are still bieng made today and they are around the $35000AUD mark
    now taking that into account a new 505 would be worth close to a third of that IMHO
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information