206XT or C3
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 206XT or C3

Default 206XT or C3

hi all

Advertisement

well my cuz, shes looking for a car and she likes the 206XT,206cc and the C3 so she will be looking 2 buy one in the next 2weeks,if she goes for the 206 it will be the XT 5door,wat do you all think which is the better car its more likely she go for the 206XT and the C3 which she look at it my work and can get her a better price,so which one is better for a everyday car
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

If she wants the buy of the year and on the assumption that this is Kosher, this is for sale in the current Brisbane Trading Post.

CITROEN C3 EXECUTIVE, 2003.
    Only 10,000klms only, Black, manual, rating 4 safety, ABS, 4 air bags, fully optioned. Suit new buyer.
    -$17000 Samford (0411) 268 396

I can't speak for the Pugs but in all honesty, I have really never heard a bad word about a C3 apart from one of my 6'4" sons who reckons he has problems fitting his big melon in without banging the roof.
    DeKa should be able to give the best unbiased opinion of everybody.

Alan S

the only thing that she can`t drive manual so it has 2 be auto
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Well I have the auto C3 and i drive it everyday so its cool. Have not had any issues with it.As far as I know the C3 is built on the 206 platform and it also has the same engine from what I have been told, so there aint much difference apart from the interior.
    I love mine..
    I also like the wipers being on the correct side..

What car does she presently drive? This might give us some idea about her priorities in a car.

A 206XT will cost more than a C3 Exclusive auto (about $2k), it's about $28k on the road. There is the C3 Sensodrive, which would be about $500 cheaper than a 206 XT. $2k is a reasonable amount to begin with. For some reason, I find Citroen are more willing to discount than Peugeot too.

The 206 XT (1.6) will be quite a bit zippier than the C3 1.4 and probably about the same as a C3 1.6 Sensodrive (I suspect the Sensodrive won't be as relaxed and smooth as an auto though - manual based gearboxes rarely are). A 1.4 XR 206 is definately much zippier than a 1.4 C3. I've driven several 206s and C3s - C3s are generally more refined (one of the best hushed superminis IMHO, works quite well at town speeds too).

The C3 1.4 auto is a fairly relaxed performer (some would say a slug ), but if she's content pottering around town without a need for kick in the back performance (Citroen claims 0-100km/h in 17.7s, just by feel I'd say it's probably a second faster than that or so), she'll appreciate its economy. The 206 1.6 I think is quite zippy as an auto, but some examples of the gearbox I've driven have been horribly rough (probably fixed with software upgrades now). The C3 has tiptronic over the 206 (tiptronic is on the books for next year in the 206).

C3s have a more composed ride, but 206s are definately a more sporting drive. C3s are easier to park with amazingly light steering at parking speeds. On the other hand, the 206 has a smaller turning circle, a wonderfully small 9.8m (C3 has something in the high 10s off the top of my head) In the city, I think the C3 will have more appeal. An enthusiast would find the 206 more fun out in the country.

Hard to toss up between the two as to which one is better built, both aren't amazing in this regard. The 206 is fairly roomy, being what I term a transitional design in regards to packaging - better than the old school designs such as the Clio, but not at the standard of Jazz, etc. The C3 is roomier up than the 206. The boot in the C3 is also a little larger than the 206, it has greater depth.

You get ABS in the C3, unlike the 206. ABS will probably be introduced in the 206, but not in the near future. The C3's brakes are a bit more servoed than the 206s - basically most of the main driving inputs are lighter and easier. Equipment levels are otherwise fairly similar, C3 has climate control & a reach adjustable steering column over the 206. The warranty on the C3 is a year longer - this might be an important thing with a little frog

To be honest, knowing my female friends, I think the C3 would be a better match for her If she's not after a hooning machine, frankly the C3's a nice distinctive addition to the garage.

That's my view anyway.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I agree with Justin's assessment, except I would say the 206 1.6 manual feels more zippier than the Sensodrive. The Sensodrive feels a little sluggish of the standing start as it lets the clutch more gradually then say, I would. Another thing to remember with the C3 Sensodrive is that, according to sales person I spoke to you have to have a manual license as it is still considered a manual. So if jfn306's cousin doesn't have a manual license then then she would have to count out the Sensodrive.

It is a bit of zip that she is after then I would be inclined to say the 206 1.6 auto, if not then go for the C3 auto with the slightly better equipment level, better front seats and cutesy looks.

Troy.

1000+ Posts

Having driven all of them, I'd say the C3 auto, unless she desperately wants lots of get up and go.

The C3 has lots more features (particularly safety features as outlined by others). The C3 auto's got nice 15" wheels too - I am pretty sure the 206XT has 14" (although I can't be bothered looking it up now).

You've seen how our C3 handles - it's no different to any other small French hatch - quick amazing. Great cruising car too.

Derek.

All the 206 hatches have 14" rims, except the GTI which has 16".
    175s on the 1.4s, 185s on the 1.6s. C3s have 165s R14s on the 1.4 manuals & 185 R15s on the 1.4 auto (& I presume Sensodrive).

This is all probably a bit academic if she's not a spirited driver though.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC

The C3 has more appeal to the female section of the market, the downfall is the totally sluggish 1.4. I found the C3 seats narrower then the 206 .. the driver and passenger sit closer together .. BIG people might not like it. If performance is not an issue at all and features are .. then for airbags, abs, and pure cuteness the C3 wins. (nice female colours too).

What about a Renault Clio * .. the 1.6ltr privledge I think beats both the C3 and 206 in that price range.

* I can't believe I suggested that, at least it's froggie !

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    The C3 has more appeal to the female section of the market, the downfall is the totally sluggish 1.4. I found the C3 seats narrower then the 206 .. the driver and passenger sit closer together .. BIG people might not like it. If performance is not an issue at all and features are .. then for airbags, abs, and pure cuteness the C3 wins. (nice female colours too).

What about a Renault Clio * .. the 1.6ltr privledge I think beats both the C3 and 206 in that price range.

* I can't believe I suggested that, at least it's froggie !

- XTC206 -
    That's okay, I won't tell anyone on the list Imagine if you said RCS though, hahaha

I have to agree with the front seats, they seem a little narrower, but not being a widebody person (sound like an old Camry ad ) this isn't an issue - I wonder if this sensation was exacerbated by the high seating position in the C3? The only annoying thing I found about the close proximity of the seats was it was hard to get to the handbrake, especially with the armrests deployed.

Clios are nice, funny how noone mentioned it (where's the Renault band?). You just need to get over the funny face, but bear in mind the Privilege is a 1.4 with the auto (that's why it's only a $500 premium over the manual). It's quieter than the 206, probably similar to the C3, although I'd say the C3 is quieter at higher speeds. The Clio is nicely hushed at city speeds, but I find it's not that refined at highway speed (a bit more wind & road roar).

I'd say the Clio is the best built of them too, but it has the worst packaging of the trio (I really did try to like the packaging, adjusting the front seats, but no matter how I tried, it felt really squeezy in the rear - almost bought one though ). It's a bit shorter than the others and the oldest design - packaging is one of the main areas in which superminis have advanced in recent years.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I like all 3 french supermini's. I also like the clio better than the 206. Does anyone know much about the Peugeot 206 1.4 auto?
    I like the clio front but yes the above comments are right.At motorway speed its a bit noisy. I found the rear leg room to be ok though with two in the back. I have also found that my car is also ok with 4 passengers in it. My parents are down here and have been driving them about and they havnt complained as yet...Check out the C3 closer. I think you get a free PDA also at present...:>

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Does anyone know much about the Peugeot 206 1.4 auto?
    As a loan car only .... and is what I think of it , the 1.4 manual was fine ... even peppy.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

The C3 auto is a bit sluggardly when you're trying to get up to speed on the freeway, but every other time, it's been fine, particularly in the city.

I'm a big fat bugger (I have to lose 51 kg to be considered normal), and I find the C3 just fine. I'm 180 cm tall, and I don't brush the roof. I wouldn't want to be in the back due to my legs, but I don't think I'd have any problems with head clearance in there, either.

Andrew

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by vanderaj
    I'm a big fat bugger (I have to lose 51 kg to be considered normal), and I find the C3 just fine. I'm 180 cm tall, and I don't brush the roof.
    I just found the seats too narrow ... I'm not a big buggar, but my shoulders seem to sit way outside the edge of the seats, very uncomfy.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Damon Beck has a black auto C3 in his lot at the moment.

I've spent a fare bit of time in both cars as my mum has the 206XT and i've been on a few cruises with Deka in his mums C3. I have to say having been in the 206 just 5 minutes ago that i think the C3 feels a lot roomier and brighter than the 206. The ride is also smoother and much quieter! And i recon the arm rests are pretty cool in the C3.

Having gone for a drive in a brand new auto C3 you would definetly say it is sluggish, but watching daniels on the last cruise and being in deka's a lot they loosen up magnificently and is a totally different car with a few long runs on the clock!

And as someone said the colours on the C3 are nicer on the lower models!

The 206 certainly has a lot more power at take off, but ithink the slugishness of the C3 would actualy suit my personal fuel consumption bills!

As for the C3 sensodrive, the only time an auto driver would have a problem with it in NSW is when they are on their P's, after that (P and onwards) you can drive anything without having to resit any exams! So its not a real problem!

I personally prefer the C3 because i tend to be a relaxed driver. 206XT is good when you want to take off a bit quicker!

Benny
    206 1.6 XT Auto China Blue in the house.

Hopefully soon to be C3...or C2.....owner.....maybe.....one day....I hope!!!!!

I like all 3 french supermini's. I also like the clio better than the 206.
    I've noticed you generally prefer the other French marques to Peugeot

Does anyone know much about the Peugeot 206 1.4 auto?
    I've driven one and I think it's probably the best Peugeot automatic powertrain in the range. The last one I drove had reasonable gearshifts (I suspect they were improved by the 1.4's lower torque levels than other engines), and good logic - it held gears up hills and upshifted fairly quickly after the road became flat again.

Its only real problem is the AL4's tardiness between 1st & 2nd gear, which can catch you out in intersections when you really need to get out of there (painfully slow kickdown response sometimes). In addition, switching between winter and convetional modes results in a fairly loud clunk.

Thanks to its cable throttle (ie. non throttle by wire), it had good response off the line. It works well, definately better than the C3's 1.4 auto - it does better than its power/weight ratio may suggest. The 206's lower mass does help its acceleration. I think it's nice. The only advantage the C3 has in regards to the powertrain is better refinement and the tiptronic function (which will be introduced in the 206 next year).

Value for money isn't great though - noone I took in the 206 1.4A XR could guess it was almost $25k on the road. C3 & Clio are definately better value.

Drove the C3 Sensodrive today, interesting. Prod the throttle immediately at the lights, woooo, the car revs and drops the clutch and you get wheelspin off the line. But otherwise it spends too much time slipping the clutch in first gear, you don't feel the kick in the back until just before the shift into second. I actually think the 206 1.6A feels faster than the Sensodrive. The 1.6 is noisier than the 1.4 as well in the C3.

It's a manual by nature, you will still roll back without the brake. Parking the car, it feels like a manual, but quite easy to use. Shifting gears, it's great having the paddles on the wheel, works well - but the action is a bit slow IMHO. Not much faster than the tiptronic action in the 307 (excluding 1-2 2-1), probably similar to the tiptronic in the C3 (the 1.4 tiptronic seems to shift faster).

As an auto, the shifts are okay, it struggles between 1st & 2nd to shift smoothly, but you can modulate the throttle in between shifts to smoothen them out. Strangely the car doesn't kick down very easily in auto mode, it seems somewhat recalcitrant, much better just to use the paddles and downshift (using the paddles automatically puts the car into manual mode).

The car does have some good features, eg returning to first gear when at the lights. Its downshifts are fairly good.

It's a bit strange, to be honest, I'd rather have a real manual or a real auto with tiptronic. I just feel the Sensodrive fails to do either really well and just seems a stuck in the middle compromise that doesn't really shine anywhere. Basically the manual shifts aren't quick, the auto isn't refined and it doesn't feel faster than the auto, you can't help but feel "err, what's the point?". Look at the stats, the 206 1.6M is miles faster than the Sensodrive. It's roughly the same as the 206 1.6A, which is one gear down on the 5sp Sensodrive.

Nice car, but I felt the car should've just had the AL4 auto. The Sensodrive just doesn't seem to do a manual or an auto well. Not terrible in any case, but it does have this gimmicky feel.

Strangely this car I drove today had a fairly harsh ride, firmer than other C3s I have driven in the past. I would say the Clio is the ride comfort king in this class - it works well at city speeds, at which the wind and road roar aren't an issue.

I have also found that my car is also ok with 4 passengers in it. My parents are down here and have been driving them about and they havnt complained as yet...Check out the C3 closer.
    Sat in the rear of the C3 today, I think it has an advantage over the 206 in the rear (which is pretty good for a transitional design). It's fine by me in the rear in the standard C3, however my head does touch the roof in the Panoramique car. That sunroof is great value at $1500, considering how large it is.

It's one of the better small cars for rear room, if not quite class leading though. Then again, it's styled somewhat more distinctively than the packaging king, the Honda Jazz. Like it or not, boxes are great for storage

I think you get a free PDA also at present...:>
    Yep, that's right for the 80th Anniversary celebrations, plus a five disc in dash stacker (like the 307's one). You know Daniel, it's only for manuals though

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Damon Beck has a black auto C3 in his lot at the moment.
    He sure does!
    It's the light blue colour, and it's $23 990 driveaway - it's registered. Basically it's free on-roads. It's a Citroen Australia executive's car.

Victoria Rd, Gladesville

Derek.

thanks guys

well my cuz shes works for a real estate agent so she will be use it every day, and shes looking for a car under $30k,its has 2 be new,and she doesn`t like the cilo,she only likes the 206 and c3,shes haveing are look at the c3 sunday at my work

aslo she driveing a 90 ford laser,
    she wants to buy a car with a 1.6 auto,
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

well after a few weeks of looking my cuz she got a new 206XT 1.6 auto blue colour,she pick it up yes2day and she loves it i just have to put a AF sticker on it
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Thread Information