Goodyear F1 GS-D3 Tyres
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Goodyear F1 GS-D3 Tyres

Recently I replaced my the OEM German designed Continental PremiumContact 195/65R15s with German made Goodyear F1 GS-D3 205/55 R16s as I decided to do a wheel and tyre upgrade, with the Contis starting to wear thin. I consulted Lincoln, our friendly local tyre geek who gave me a list of tyres to consider and ballpark pricing. After doing a bit of research I decided to go for the new GS-D3 Goodyear F1s, which are far better than the lacklustre previous model the GS-D2 (fitted OEM to some 206 GTis). They have performed well in various reviews around and I'm sure Lincoln can point us to a few.

I snared a reasonable price of $205 per tyre, having decided it was better to spend a little more on decent tyres rather than economise, given that tyres can last some time. As a set, these tyres cost me about $160 more than Contis in the 195/65 R15 size, which translates to around 30 cents extra per day over the tyres life. Goodyear Touring tyres were actually OEM on some early 1.6 307s, but these tyres are a totally different kettle of fish.

Here are the tyres it replaced (with thanks to DeKa for hosting)

Here are the new tyres & their new rims.

Peugeot Cotya 16" Rims

A better shot showing the tread on the Goodyear F1 GS-D3s

My impressions of the tyres have been good, the tyres have noticeably higher limits than the Contis, but coming from a comfort orientated tyre, I was expecting to forgo some things.

Initially the tyres made a strange whirring down turbine noise under braking or light deceleration below 40km/h or so due to the tread pattern, however this has now largely ceased. The tyres are noisier than the Contis (which were reasonably quiet), but not by a huge margin.

Fuel consumption is marginally higher than the Contis, achieving 6.5l/100 on the run up to Shepparton last week, vs 6.3l/100 last time with the Contis. I can handle the 3% increase, especially given the tyres advantages in other areas. In any case, the increase in noise and fuel consumption is fairly marginal.

Prior to fitting the Goodyears, I had taken the Contis on a last run through the woods up in the hills on a proving route I often use. Yesterday I did so with the Goodyears and there is definately a noticeable improvement. The car is much happier to be punted through corners than previously with the benefits of lower sidewall flex immediately noticeable. What may previously have seemed like insufficient damping is much reduced thanks to the reduced sidewall flex.

You really can punt the car through corners at a good pace, it's main limitation is its power (or lack thereof). Understeer is also reduced and you can still throttle steer the rear end without fuss. Much less squealing than before, and when the tyres squeal, the squeal is somewhat nicer on the road - you can just punt the car along and it allows you to do more before it becomes unhappy.

Steering feel has improved slightly and is now slightly more weighty. My fellow drivers and passengers yesterday agreed with the improvement the tyres have made.

On the track the Contis last year would start to go off by the second run around the track, whereas the Goodyears were as happy on the last run as they were on the first run. This year I didn't push as hard as last year and I didn't need to either. The tyres have simply put higher limits on the car and were much more consistent throughout the day.

Whilst I haven't really tested the tyres in the wet (there wasn't much water on the skidpan at DECA as the club from the day before used most of the water), comments in this month's Motor tyre testa are comforting. Apparently grip is so good in the wet, the tyres will still squeal. The Contis were prone to sending a juddering motion throughout the front of the car when understeering in the wet (especially on poorly cambered roundabouts).

So I'm happy with the tyres and thanks to Lincoln, aka. GTI124 for setting me in the right direction! Whilst the car hasn't miraculously transformed into a little Mini, 205 GTi or RCS, they have improved the car. In no uncertain terms, they are a good tyre.

206 GTi owners, don't write off the Goodyear F1s, the GS-D3 is a good tyre.

Advertisement

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thanks for comments Justin! I was disappointed with that review from Motor. Good to see the GS-D3 do so well in the wet, but Motor really have dropped their game with this tyre test.

Here's a link to some more information and consumer comments on the GS-D3, also some better pics. Shame that sidewall doesn't look nicer, though.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Eagle+F1+GS-D3

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Thanks for comments Justin! I was disappointed with that review from Motor. Good to see the GS-D3 do so well in the wet, but Motor really have dropped their game with this tyre test.
    Yeah, it didn't seem very detailed did it.

It was done at DECA too.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Good stuff Justin, interesting reading.

Out of interest, do you know what tyres they specify on Euro 307's?

They have a similar mix to here, eg your Dunlops, Contis, Pirellis & Goodyears (although I haven't heard of any Goodyears on recent cars). One of the countries over there had Michelins on some cars.

Irish 307s had some strange tyres that I can't remember at the moment.

Peugeot does put good rubber on the 307 if you ask me. I like the P7s on the 2.0 cars. Bloody expensive though, I wouldn't pay $270 ea. for them.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC

Nice tyres ... was waiting for them to be available in 205/45 R16s to replace my fast wearing GS-D2's - might have soemthign to do with my driving though

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

How many kays on the GTI now? I farewelled the Contis on the 307 at 33k.

Pity they aren't in your size yet, but you could fit 215/40s on the car which are available. They're about 2% smaller. Who knows, this might be a good thing, gives you a bit more margin to play with on the speedo. Everything I hear about the GS-D3s indicates they are a far superior tyre to their predecessor.

Reduces gearing a smidgeon too, can you still make 100km/h in second

I forgot to mention the new tyres and their effect on ride. To be honest, not too much difference - when I did pump them up to 38PSI, they did become quite a bit firmer than the Contis, but that's hardly a fair comparison. As I put more kays under these tyres, the noise difference between them and the Contis is decreasing.

Just had a quick look online, looks like there are a lot of happy people with these tyres (designed in Luxembourg out of all places). They did win an EVO tyre test a few months back.

http://www.subarureview.com/showreview.php?id=1029

Best Tires EVER! Wouldn't get anything else. Had Pirelli P7000 Supersports before and they dont even compare to the Eagle's
    http://www.zr1.net/F1G3D3.html - quite a detailed review. A very interesting article. Below is an interesting pic from the lab.

One thing - has anyone noticed, for a French car forum, we don't seem to talk Michelin up much these days. Do others think that Michelin have lost their 'edge' over other brands in recent years? Perhaps we're not so easily swayed by brands.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    How many kays on the GTI now? I farewelled the Contis on the 307 at 33k.
    I went through a set of fronts in about 8,000kms, now at 18,500kms recon they'll get the boot way before 25,000kms.

I'm a little hard on tyres

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    I'm a little hard on tyres
    Ahh, but can you beat Stephen Harrington!

What was it, 6 bloody sets of tyres in just over 30k!!! Okay, one was due for a recall, but crikey I hope you were good mates with your local tyre dealer!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC

Ahh, but can you beat Stephen Harrington!
    I doubt it .. Stevo is a nutter on tyres - won't be any better with his WRX.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Michelin are making some decent tyres, but tend to be overpriced. The new Pilot Precedas are nice and I'll be considering them for the next set on the GTi6. The michelin Pilot Sports are still very nice and are about to be replaced. The Pilot SX MXMs are a nice cruising tyre, although expensive.

Michelin are making some decent tyres, but tend to be overpriced. The new Pilot Precedas are nice and I'll be considering them for the next set on the GTi6.
    One of the guys on the 206 list isn't happy with their wet performance though.

Maybe I've been too influenced by the Certis, but I seem to get the feeling these days that Michelin has a lot of hype associated with the brand that translates into overinflated pricing - for the money you seem to be able to do better elsewhere. It just seems there are a hellava lot of really competitive tyres out there that don't have Michelin or Pirelli on them (driving Euro cars sometimes you forget that there are other great brands out there).

I can't believe the cars I've seen shodden with Certises, even saw a bloody S Class with them (total lack of class there really). May as well put on good ol "Bob Jane Aussie All Rounders"!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

rek

Maybe I've been too influenced by the Certis, but I seem to get the feeling these days that Michelin has a lot of hype associated with the brand that translates into overinflated pricing - for the money you seem to be able to do better elsewhere.
    No, you get that feeling about 3 seconds after getting various price quotes at a tyre shop

When I was last shopping for tyres (and the time before that, now that I think of it), the Michelin tyre of was always wildly overpriced compared to its competitors.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

XTC

Who's buying them ... they are still in business ! or is it all OEM gear.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Who's buying them ... they are still in business ! or is it all OEM gear.
    If anything, I think Michelin are losing OEM customers - they've lost a lot of Peugeots (even the Energys on the 206 seem to have made way for Goodyears GTs). I know Volvo's moved to Pirelli and Continental.

I can't really think of any manufacturers that have recently moved to Michelin. I think they've just lost their edge over the rest.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I'd disagree on the Michelin front. They are still the #1 tyre company in the world.

Although I saw that test where the Mondeo on Pirelli P7s beat an M3 on Michelin Pilot Sports, I still doubt the accuracy of the testing processes there. I have a very high regard for the Pilot Sports.

Citroen are still using Michelin as OEM, by the way, so let's not forget Cit there, just because Peugeot aren't using them anymore. Renault is also still using them. There is a world in the French cars, besides Peugeot, you know.

Sure, they're overpriced, but they have to pay for the marketing somehow!

Let's not forget that Goodyear are in dire financial trouble and the GS-D3 is still not a top level tyre. You still can not fit a Goodyear to a Porsche, only Bridgestone, Pirelli and Yokohama. They have a lot to improve upon on their range. Actually, I think almost everything else in the Goodyear range is utter crap besides the GS-D3 (REVSPEC is a near run).

Also, one comment from a 206 GTIer does not a bad tyre make. The comments from Wheels was very favourable (whose comments I respect more than one individual!), as is another guy I know running them on his Astra SRI, who owned a GTi6. Yes, they're not as good in the wet, but only marginally, they're not AWFUL in the wet, or anything! They've obviously been tuned towards dry weather performance, you can't have everything!

Also, OEM is ALL about the best price a manufacturer can give. I do not believe ANYTHING else takes as much a precedence as cost. You can kid yourself into thinking a manufacturer chooses a tyre, but I think the tyre is chosen by an accountant and a negotiator and the car is then tuned to the tyres, rather than the other way round. The only exception I know of to this is Porsche.

Yeah Yeah, Justin, prove me wrong and tell me how Volvo chose their brand. Go on.

Can you tell I work in the corporate world?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

do PSA still have a fairly major share of michelin or is it the other way around
    i know for years michelin made the wheels for pugs
    it was the old addage that you put a michelin tyre on a michelin wheel and they took very little to balance and they sealed just right
    we are talking older technology here as well so please don't jump on me
    we all know that tyres are now a lot better than they were back in the 70's and 80's
    i think michelin also made wheels for a few other makes of car as well
    i know 604 steel wheels were made by michelin
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

XTC

I remember when UniRoyal was standard fit to Renaults . where did they go ?

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

they're still around. A fairly budget oriented tyre, they're distributed by Kumho's distributor, I believe. As you get Uniroyal at the same outlets at Kumho exclusive dealers

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

I remember when UniRoyal was standard fit to Renaults . where did they go ?

- XTC206 -
    where they deserved to go i hope
    into the bin
    fair dinkum crap was all they made
    i have never seen a uniroyal worth anymore than holding down tarps in the wind
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

they make an OK tyre, think it's called the Rainsport...when I finish the 195/55 thread, I'll have some information scanned in on them. I'd rate them with he old Kumho Ecsta 711s...yeah, sorry Dave, your tyres :p

Although I saw that test where the Mondeo on Pirelli P7s beat an M3 on Michelin Pilot Sports, I still doubt the accuracy of the testing processes there. I have a very high regard for the Pilot Sports.
    It's not just about that test. I know Michelin wouldn't be very happy given that it was done on their test track. In regards to that specific wet handling test, please bear in mind that the Mondeo in the wet with the narrower tyres had an advantage over the M3 - the fact it had narrower tyres in the wet, as strange as it may seem.

Perhaps my perceptions have been skewed by looking at reviews of less performance orientated tyres - for example reviews of the Pilot Premacy seem to suggest it's only a middle of the road performer within its class. It's things like this here and there that seem to suggest that the gap between Michelin and others seems to be closing.

Let's not forget that Goodyear are in dire financial trouble and the GS-D3 is still not a top level tyre. You still can not fit a Goodyear to a Porsche, only Bridgestone, Pirelli and Yokohama. They have a lot to improve upon on their range. Actually, I think almost everything else in the Goodyear range is utter crap besides the GS-D3 (REVSPEC is a near run).
    If the GS-D3 is an indication of things to come, well at least they are headed in the right direction.

Citroen are still using Michelin as OEM, by the way, so let's not forget Cit there, just because Peugeot aren't using them anymore. Renault is also still using them. There is a world in the French cars, besides Peugeot, you know.
    Do I sense a little attitude here? I was basically responding to the post regarding OEM, of course Michelin still have OEM customers, but they are losing some. OEM is still reasonably important, it's roughly a third of the market.

Further to that, the number of Renaults with Michelin tyres appears to be decreasing though. Not many of the Renaults here are now being equipped with Michelin tyres - some Clios and the old Megane based cars. If you look at all the newer models, they seem to have Contis onboard - look at the Megane II, some Clios & the Laguna. Some of the Clio Expressions have Dunlops.

Peugeot still use Michelins on some cars such as the 406. If you look at their Q3 figures, the OEM market shrunk by 6.1%, but Michelin's OEM sales fell by 14.8% - GM Europe didn't renew their contract. The observation I was making is that they no longer seem to dominate like they used to having lost OEM status on some cars.

Also, OEM is ALL about the best price a manufacturer can give. I do not believe ANYTHING else takes as much a precedence as cost. You can kid yourself into thinking a manufacturer chooses a tyre, but I think the tyre is chosen by an accountant and a negotiator and the car is then tuned to the tyres, rather than the other way round. The only exception I know of to this is Porsche.

Yeah Yeah, Justin, prove me wrong and tell me how Volvo chose their brand. Go on.

Can you tell I work in the corporate world?
    Must say, a passionate response there! If you're after a utopian answer, with Volvo getting their engineers to choose the finest tyres as if they were kids free to raid a toy store, asking the Pope and Dalai Lama to bless their choice of tyres, getting people to massage and play music to the trees from which rubber is sourced, and who knows what, I'm going to have to disappoint

I never denied the significance of cost (lets be frank, unfortunately numbers rule and accountants rule the numbers), rather I said I felt that Michelin seems to have lost the huge edge they once had and their share of OEM could be seen as being part of that. Good OEM prices probably explain why Contis are becoming far more prevalent these days compared to years ago, when they seemed to be a fringe manufacturer only used by some Germans.

Relax, I haven't said Michelin become the Lada of the tyre industry (just don't mention the Certis ).

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    do PSA still have a fairly major share of michelin or is it the other way around
    Michelin own about 1% of PSA now, the Peugeot family still own most - just over a quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    i know for years michelin made the wheels for pugs
    They still do, even in your beloved 307 My black steel wheels are made by Michelin, the new Peugeot alloys are made by BBS Italy.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

It's not just about that test. I know Michelin wouldn't be very happy given that it was done on their test track. In regards to that specific wet handling test, please bear in mind that the Mondeo in the wet with the narrower tyres had an advantage over the M3 - the fact it had narrower tyres in the wet, as strange as it may seem.
    No, it's not strange, the thinner the tyre, the easier it is to displace water, regardless of compound or grooves in the tyre. If there was a Pilot Sport that could fit on a Mondeo, it would've beaten the P7.

Perhaps my perceptions have been skewed by looking at reviews of less performance orientated tyres - for example reviews of the Pilot Premacy seem to suggest it's only a middle of the road performer within its class. It's things like this here and there that seem to suggest that the gap between Michelin and others seems to be closing.
    What reviews have you seen on the Premacy? I'm yet to see anything local on this tyre. It's certainly OEM on a LOT of cars nowadays. They seem to be a decent tyre though. They're not a performance tyre, probably in the same class as Dunlop Sport 300E. It probably doesn't deserve the "Pilot" monicker, but neither does the Dunlop...so there you go. Obviously the field is a lot more level with tyre manufacturing. Michelin are still leaders in run flat technology, for example.

If the GS-D3 is an indication of things to come, well at least they are headed in the right direction.
    Perhaps, they have a large hole to dig themselves out of here. I get the Automotive News email everyday and every second day there is a story about Goodyear's woes. I believe other companies are circling Goodyear at the moment.

Do I sense a little attitude here? I was basically responding to the post regarding OEM, of course Michelin still have OEM customers, but they are losing some. OEM is still reasonably important, it's roughly a third of the market.
    Yeah, you do sense some attitude. I'm just saying there is more out there than just Peugeot. Of course more car companies are using other brands. The period of contract that Michelin would have had with a lot of these companies would've ended in the last few years. Michelin was a leader, but everyone has caught up. I still think they're a leader, just the gap isn't as big as it used to be...nor can we seriously expect it to.

Further to that, the number of Renaults with Michelin tyres appears to be decreasing though. Not many of the Renaults here are now being equipped with Michelin tyres - some Clios and the old Megane based cars. If you look at all the newer models, they seem to have Contis onboard - look at the Megane II, some Clios & the Laguna. Some of the Clio Expressions have Dunlops.

Peugeot still use Michelins on some cars such as the 406. If you look at their Q3 figures, the OEM market shrunk by 6.1%, but Michelin's OEM sales fell by 14.8% - GM Europe didn't renew their contract. The observation I was making is that they no longer seem to dominate like they used to having lost OEM status on some cars.
    Sure, but that's business, as opposed to an inferior product.

Must say, a passionate response there! If you're after a utopian answer, with Volvo getting their engineers to choose the finest tyres as if they were kids free to raid a toy store, asking the Pope and Dalai Lama to bless their choice of tyres, getting people to massage and play music to the trees from which rubber is sourced, and who knows what, I'm going to have to disappoint

I never denied the significance of cost (lets be frank, unfortunately numbers rule and accountants rule the numbers), rather I said I felt that Michelin seems to have lost the huge edge they once had and their share of OEM could be seen as being part of that. Good OEM prices probably explain why Contis are becoming far more prevalent these days compared to years ago, when they seemed to be a fringe manufacturer only used by some Germans.

Relax, I haven't said Michelin become the Lada of the tyre industry (just don't mention the Certis ).
    I'm always passionate! I'm surprised you haven't pulled out a Volvo stat there, I'm very surprised actually!

I think we're saying the same thing here. Michelin aren't about to "buy" market share, they're the leader, and everyone else is catching up by under cutting them. No other manufacturer is as innovative as Michelin, in my opinion. It's the position you're in when you're the dominant player in a market...gee, sounds like another company I happen to work for...

Time for me to take some humble pie. Goodyear own Dunlop, so there you go...oh dear...and together they are the #1 company, not Michelin.

Michelin are #2 or #3...with Bridgestone/Firestone...neck and neck. Michelin spend the most money on R&D though.

XTC

Michelin spend the most money on R&D though.
    Like BOSE ... and we know what kinda product they make

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information