How far have you pushed it?
  • Register
  • Help

View Poll Results: How many times have you run out of fuel?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 (I'm a smart lad)

24 48.00%
  • 1 (Yeah, that was a bit silly)

8 16.00%
  • 2 (Yeah, that was quite silly)

11 22.00%
  • 3 (I don't know what's wrong with me)

2 4.00%
  • 4 + (I'm beyond help)

5 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Icon10 How far have you pushed it?

OK, I just did something a bit silly. I knew my fuel gauge was a bit out on the Micra, so I pushed the low fuel light as far as it would go. It has a 42L tank, and I've never put more than 32L in it, so when the low fuel light came on at 400kms, I figured I had at least 100km left in it.

I got an additional 65kms out of it, before it wouldn't really start again at the supermarket car park.

Advertisement

I feel really blonde now.

So, how silly have you been?

I used to drive my Alfa occasionally until it sputtered. I then had about 5kms to get to a servo. Being a poor uni bum I never could afford to fill it all the way.

Now I tend to fill it when the light comes on and stays on. I have pushed it once and got over 100kms on the light. It took 63l in a 60l tank
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

I got about 80km out of my Fuel guzzling Vienta once the light came on on windey mountain roads going from Adaminaby to Mt Selwyn. Having said that my 70L tank took 66L when i got back to Adaminaby, so i think i was very lucky to get back! But normally the light comes on with about 20L left in the tank on my car, and i try and fill it up straight away because it doesn't last long in the city! Its a great cruising car, but shit-house everywhere else!

Benny
    206 1.6 XT Auto China Blue in the house.

Hopefully soon to be C3...or C2.....owner.....maybe.....one day....I hope!!!!!

I have run out several times. The really silly thing is that many times it was in my Rover 2000 TCs, which have a little lever on the dash that you pull to activate the 6 litre reserve fuel tank . In my poor student days it was on reserve more often than not...
    But in my defence, I have run out a few times and coasted into a servo on empty - ran out 5 km out of town once. Pulled the choke out to get a bit more vroom out of the motor, got as much speed as I could and was lucky enough to crest the last hill at jogging pace and rolled down into town and up to the bowser The Rover even had a little lever on the fuel pump to prime the carbs when I ran it out, which was quite handy...

The R25 doesnt let me forget though
    Last edited by Haakon; 13th November 2003 at 03:46 PM.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

I've never run out, but I started to get a bit panicky driving home from the Sunshine Coast in my 306XR. I'd filled up at Southport (and come via the coast road). The empty light came on between Newcastle and Gosford. I was SURE I'd make it - and didn't want to fill up at the Caltex near Spark's Rd Warnervale on the motorway because they don't have 98 octane fuel.

I got to the Mobil just off the F3 at Wahroonga and I know I put more than 60 litres in (60 litre tank)

I must've done 130km +/- with the light on

Don't recommend it though!! 950km or so was an impressive effort in a 306 however

Derek

UFO

Rules of fuel supply in Citroen XM

1/ When low fuel light comes on, go immediately to nearest servo and get SOMETHING that resembles petrol
    2/ If in doubt, refer without delay to rule 1

The prob with the XM is that the fuel pickup is on the tank's RHS rear which may be fine in Europe but not UK and Aus. When the light goes on you have 85km left on the trip comp, but in reality you are lucky to get 40km.

I just managed to surge over the tops of the small rises between Waterfall and Engadine on the way to a CCCNSW Club Meet one arvo and cruised into Shell Engadine fitting 88l of Optimax into an 85l tank. The guy in the servo was impressed with the sale
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I'm really surprised you guys aren't paying me out! Did I really explain my reasons for running out that well??

The first time I ran out of fuel (in my first Micra), was doing a similar thing to Deka there. I wanted to get my PULP from the Shell in Earlwood and drove home to Marrickville from North Ryde with the low fuel light well and trully on. When I went to restart the car, it didn't start. Oops!

Well i've never run out of fuel in my own car/s, but have run out in my dad's volvo cross country!

Mum & Dad had gone away to New Zealand on business and left their car at home, rather than pay an enormous fee for long-stay parking at Sydney Airport.

So anyhow, they wanted me to pick them up from Syd-Airport when the got in, and i'd been driving around virtually the whole time they were away and was hoping to get away with this - without having to top it up! So - got to the airport, picked them up - still fuel left, was going ok...! Then on our return trip back home (Blacktown), we were travelling over the bridge & i noticed the fuel light was on, and had probably been on for some time. BUT the computer still read something like 100km's left in tank, or something. Anyhow, found out the hard way that the computer doesn't count anything below 100km's left of fuel. Which means "100km" could just as easily mean "1km".

Of all places for the car to run out of fuel - heading north, just off Sydney Harbour Bridge, in peak hour traffic, climbing the hill - IN THE MIDDLE LANE!!!! Haha!! I was sooooo embarrased, very very scary - when you've got cars zooming by - and you're there with your hazard's on and trying to explain to your mum & dad that "honestly i didn't realise it was out of fuel"...

Luckily that area near the bridge is closely surveillanced by the RTA, and a truck was there within minutes to tow us to the nearest servo. Apparently the guy said that ppl seem to run out of fuel, around there all the time!!

Ohhh boy. well that's my crazy story. Go on - throw stuff at me. I can take it!

~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT
    "#ZEG01F" --- > 2006 VW Golf 2.0L TDI - The torque machine SOLD
    "MY 4" --------------- > 2002 Monaco Blue RenaultSport Clio MkII SOLD
    "XES11V" ---------- > 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage STOLEN

In my Holden it has a distance to empty reading which was on 17kms, and I was sitting at traffic lights with the servo in sight when it stopped. Not much you can do in an auto when they run out.

Ahh, the joys of trip computers.

I've pushed the car right down to '----' for kms remaining (doesn't display anything really once there's 25km left, but floor it and you can lose a lot of range when it's that empty). I've never been in a situation where the car was spluttering and I suspect the fuel system incorporates some form of contingency allowance.

So far it hasn't bitten me, but in day to day driving, I really should fill if the trip meter says over 750km, there isn't much left after that.

Must practise driving economically - have an economy run to do on Sunday. Don't worry, I'm gonna make the Peugeots proud...on a Volvo Club Economy Run (hey, they endorsed it!)

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I dare not run out in the 307, someone might see me!

The 306's had low-level lights that just went forever. I'd drive around town for a week or so with the light on. Never ran out.

I ran out in the Saab once, but I attribute that to me being young and stupid (even more so than now)

Fellow Frogger!

I've done it only once in my first car. Couldn't be bothered stopping for fuel and thought I'd make it home sitting on 120 it splattered til the engine cut out and I rolled and rolled felt like I rolled for about 2kms

Problem was this was about 11.30pm, I didn't have RACV, nor a mobile!!!

Hence I had to run to a farm which had at least 5-6 Rottweilers at the front gate. I slowly built up some courage to open the gate and walk up the driveway which was about 100mtrs long the dogs barked, sniffed, etc but luckily didn't bite. I then asked politely to ring/wake my parents.

My Dad basically told me to walk (abt 10kms) or ask if I could sleep over
    He came through though ringing the RACV and using his rego no so I didn't have to pay.

So who's the ???

Hang on! Someone hit the 4+ option! You can't do that and not confess your evil sins to us!

I'll sic Deka onto ya. Can the mods tell who pressed that option?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i ran out once in a 604
    i used to travel 40km round trip for work
    the fuel light came on on the way home one day
    i thought that's cool i can get back to work again and home and back to work again before filling up
    more fool me
    i ran out on the last run to work before i was going to fill it that day and i was 1/2 way
    everyone was at work so i had to call a cab to pick me up, take me home to where i had a jerry can of fuel, go back via taxi to the car and off i went
    the taxi driver laughed her head off when i told her what i was doing and that more to the fact that i had spare fuel at home
    i must say it is the only time i have been stranded due to lack of fuel
    i did run out one other time in another 604 but i had fuel in the boot just in case i was caught between stations so i don't count that one
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Default running out of fuel on test drive

When I was selling Alfa's, we just knew from 156's and GTV's that when the fuel light came on there was another 100 k's or so still to go.
    Then the 147 came. No worries I thought as I was driving a car full of 60-70 year old Italians around the Boulevard in Melbourne. The old bloke driving was barely coping with the selespeed, and then it ran out of juice. The old guy was so confused by the whole experience, he just let it roll to a stop in the middle of the Sweeper, next to parked cars at 5:00 pm. Smack bang in the middle of the corner. Dangerous thing it was. I pushed it 50 metres to a park. They ended up buying from the other dealer. Wonder why? I learned that a 147 runs out of juice 1/3 of the way between empty and 1/4 full.
    I had numerous new ALfa's run out of juice taking the car from the dealership to the petrol station. Goddam this was annoying.

Well i would just like to say that my car is supposed to have a 50L fuel tank. My car regularly gets close to 10L/100kms or 10kms per litre so i reset my odometer every time i fill up and use it to judge my fuel consumption.

The first time I ran out of fuel i thought the car should really run out after i've done 500kms, but at 400kms it ran out... hmmmmm.... then i filled it back up and the thing overflowed at 42L!!!??? What the? How big is my tank? Do i have 8L of crap in it?

The second time i was driving up this hill on the hume i think and it was a really windy day and my car had only done 320kms so i thought things were sweet. Anyway i'm going up this hill and the little 205 is getting blown in the wind a bit. Eventually the wind started to blow the car from the front instead of the side and i remember distinctley rocking back and forward from this "wind". It turned out that i was running out of fuel and the wind was still coming from the side but when i got over the hill i found that there was a servo at the bottom of it so it was ok.

205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

Quote Originally Posted by MY 4
    Of all places for the car to run out of fuel - heading north, just off Sydney Harbour Bridge, in peak hour traffic, climbing the hill - IN THE MIDDLE LANE
    You're quite lucky you didn't get fine. Did you know that it's specifically an offense in NSW to run out of petrol on the Harbour Bridge? Must be so they can fine you for causing huge peak hour delays...
    Care factor = -273.15ļC

You are a clown Dr Tyres

Where are the fuel effecient tyres when you need em eh?

my ol alfa 33 used to run out all the time, living across the road from a servo , i never used to bother filling it untill it sputtered to a stop (luckily for me i ws always near home, or a servo)

and the ol mk5 ford cortina i had, it would run out when ever it felt like, i get the feeling the fuel gauge was designed by microsoft
    Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

nJm

I once ran out completely while pulling out of the Uni car park. I had never run it that low, but was waiting for the warning light to come on. Well it didn't . Start to drive out of the car park and "cough cough clunk". Being the inexperienced person I was I then attempted to start it again, thus drying out the lines. Took me ages to get it going again after a friend went and got me a jerry can!

I since discovered someone had replaced my fuel guage with one off a newer 505 - so while I have a warning light, there is no circuit to activate it .
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Well done Lincoln...

I have been lucky, and never pushed it, but after i filled the pug up for the forst time, i was worried i may do,.... the light kept on going on and off, as it got lower... but was all good.. won't do that again
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

Well, I went and bought a jerry can and put enough fuel in to get going again. I put in about 3-4 litres...the rest is down the side of the car.

I went to the servo and threw in some Optimax and it stops at 32 litres! I put a bit more in and get 33 litres.

I pull out the manual and it says 42! It says 42!!!! Where have the 5 litres gone??

Oh and to top off all of tihs I've got a crap batch of Optimax, the car is running like a dog now.

My mate in his commo has done it heaps the bugger - you can guess who he calls to come help him

Thing is, he used to have a VN and now has a VP - they dont have fuel lights, and in both cars, it will run out of fuel with the guage above E - the probem is that its fuel pickup is in a wierd place, so if you park it on an angle, it wont start.

XTC

Not in the pug ... but I've done the fuel starvation thing (sputter sputter) in the old car Never ran out completely though.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Oh and to top off all of tihs I've got a crap batch of Optimax, the car is running like a dog now.
    Car is probably running like a dog cause you've gone and sucked up all the crap on the bottom of the tank running it so low ... did someone say partially blocked injectors ?

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information