98RON Preference
  • Register
  • Help

View Poll Results: Which super premium unleaded 98RON fuel do you prefer?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • BP Ultimate

17 41.46%
  • Mobil Synergy 8000

9 21.95%
  • Shell Optimax

15 36.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default 98RON Preference

Which 98RON fuel do you prefer?

BP Ultimate
    Mobil Synergy 8000
    Shell Optimax

Just wondering, as I've noticed a loyalty to certain brands. Whilst I find most people I meet in real life seem Optimax loyal, I've found Aussiefroggers seem more BP Ultimate loyal. Optimax seems to have 'stronger' brand recognition anyway.

Personally I'm an Ultimate user. Generally 1.5c/l cheaper than Optimax, is said to have much lower sulphur & benzine levels and BP claims to invest 1-2c from each litre in greenhouse gas reduction programs - that satisfies the little greeny part of me I've never had a problem with the performance of any of the above - actually I've never experienced a bad tank of fuel.

I realise WA folk don't have much of a choice, but I have to say that WA has some of the best distribution of premium fuels I've come across. It was common to see PULP in small towns over there.

I wonder if Peugeot realised in its latest 'Loop' promotion that SA, WA & TAS customers can't actually get Shell Optimax Peugeot is offering $100 of free Optimax or diesel to customers that join up at a new customer website, the Loop. I guess they'll just have to give $100 of Shell fuel, unless they give BP vouchers in WA and Mobil vouchers in SA

Advertisement

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I've used a full tank of all the fuel above and found synergy the best.

BP ultimate was economical but performance wise couldnt notice anything

Optimax small performance increase but nothing compared to that off synergy.

Optimax...

Car seems to idle rough on BP. loves the optimax.

BOO HOO...Nice for those on the Big Island.....We have none of the above here....only PULP!

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Strange, our cars have pretty much the same engine, just with different stickers on top. Aside from your air filter, are there any other engine mods?

I really find it hard to notice any huge difference between the fuels. I read all these stories about really significant differences between fuel types, fuel brands, fuel stations, etc but everything seems to run consistently in this car - perhaps the electronic gismo knock sensors take care of everything.

Looks like my theory about AFers preferring Ultimate is true

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    Strange, our cars have pretty much the same engine, just with different stickers on top. Aside from your air filter, are there any other engine mods?

I really find it hard to notice any huge difference between the fuels. I read all these stories about really significant differences between fuel types, fuel brands, fuel stations, etc but everything seems to run consistently in this car - perhaps the electronic gismo knock sensors take care of everything.

Looks like my theory about AFers preferring Ultimate is true
    i prefer ultimate as it's enviro friendly and it;s the only one here in town
    we don't have optimax in town here
    so i really don't have a choice it's more what i can get
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Anyone know where Ultimate is made for NSW & VIC?

I know they make it at the WA Kwinana refinery and bp also has a refinery up in QLD.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

We've got a Shell card in all the cars, so there's no choice.

PULP is different in every city. The 98 stuff in Sydney is all made by Shell anyway, as the other refinery in Sydney is Caltex/Ampol which only make 95. So I'm not sure how valuable the poll is as there is a difference in quality over the country.

From what I've heard Shell make the various 98 fuels "to order" for Mobil and BP.

However, BP has got a partnership with Caltex/Ampol now, so you can't readily get Ultimate everywhere, it's a real mix of 95 and 98 at BPs.

Most of the Mobils that I used to go have shut down and not all stock Synergy. But I did find that Synergy caused the least amount of problems.

I did however find inconsistencies with the quality of Shell fuels, so avoid Optimax when I can.

BP Ultimate is all we can get over in Perth.

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    PULP is different in every city. The 98 stuff in Sydney is all made by Shell anyway, as the other refinery in Sydney is Caltex/Ampol which only make 95. So I'm not sure how valuable the poll is as there is a difference in quality over the country.
    Bear in mind other issues such as pricing & environmental issues can be important in determining preference. It does for me - because I don't perceive any real performance difference between the fuels, I just don't notice it, whether it be power or in fuel consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    BP Ultimate is all we can get over in Perth.
    Yep & those in Adelaide can only get Mobil Synergy 8000.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I use BP Ultimate mostly because its closer to me.
    I like Mobil Syngergy 8000 too i think its a bit better than the ultimate

The shell i tend not to use unless im running really low on fuel and there is no other available 98 Ron fuel around
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

well i change every month,i only use bp ultimate and shell optimax,they are the same in peformace,bp is always 2 or 3 cents cheaper then optimax,on the track day i use optimax and i was very happy

i will never use mobil 8000,went i use it my car was makeing a pinging nose which means that it must have been under 95 or it was a bad lot of petorl

i just put in $40 of optimax today i pay 95.7 and that will last me just under 2 weeks
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

XTC

Default WHAT CHOICE !!!

We (WA) don't have a choice ....

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I put down Optimax because that's the stuff I use most.
    Why...? Simply spend $30 or more at your nearest Coles supermarket and recieve 4cents per litre off the pump price at any Shell....

Otherwise, with no Coles dockets on hand I use BP Ultimate because the outlets are conveniently located near my place. Their staff are always friendly, their air pumps work, they always have a squeegee, bucket and tissues handy, simply a more pleasant place to be.

There's only 1 Mobil near my place, and it's on the opposite side of the road on my way home.

Edit:
    Just to add, I have serious doubts about the "premium" unleaded sold at Safeway Plus outlets. Tried it once and the 405 really didn't like it and pinged like crazy on the stuff. The Pug doesn't mind 7-11/Caltex Premium or 95RON Premium from the BP stations that don't sell 98 Ultimate.

Haven't had any problems running Safeway LRP on the 528i though. So far.
    Last edited by Jez 405; 11th November 2003 at 12:20 AM.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Until late last night, I was partially surprised at the results - I had expected Optimax to whip Synergy 8000 in the popularity stakes. BP Ultimate sitting on top doesn't surprise me on Aussiefrogs, I know there are a good few people here who prefer it.

I do suspect though, if you took a random sample of the population, or a sample of car enthusiasts, Optimax would win - it would have to have by far the best brand awareness. Come to think of it, I think bp does the least advertising with Ultimate.

I once put in a few litres (that way I wouldn't be laden with crap if it went badly) of Caltex ULP on a near empty tank to see what it'd be like, and I didn't get any pinging.

Sometimes I don't know what specs to believe from Peugeot - when the TU5JP4 was first released, its compression ratio was 9.8. Now it's 11.0 - strangely enough, it still makes 110HP and 147Nm of torque. I guess the engine is quite tolerant with fuel.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I always use BP Ultimate now - for the first couple of years I used Optimax, but one time I couldn't get it and put Ultimate in instead. The change was immediately noticable, with less pinging and smoother acceleration.

penelope_s

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i'll throw optimax in mine when i am out of town sometimes, not every time as i have found that it cleans the fuel system pretty well
    that's the only thing i have found with it
    the ultimate i have found has made a difference over the normal BP PULP and the more you use it the more you benefit from the better mileage you get from it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    We (WA) don't have a choice ....

- XTC206 -
    Nothing wrong with that dude.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Nothing wrong with that dude.
    Some price competition would be nice .. doesn't affect me cause I use a BP card, gets you a $0.04 per litre discount.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Some price competition would be nice .. doesn't affect me cause I use a BP card, gets you a $0.04 per litre discount.
    What's the premium for Ultimate over in PER?

I can't remember, but it didn't seem different to here in MEL. Most bps generally charge 7c extra (ie. 1cpl for each extra unit of octane). Those bps that sell PULP charge 4c extra (ie. in line with the above pricing structure). Fuel pricing there seemed quite reasonable, similar to a larger market like MEL.

Actually, we bought some really cheap Ultimate when we were over in WA - mid 80s (now you QLDers, we all know you get your petrol subsidies).

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    What's the premium for Ultimate over in PER?
    Ultimate is usually 7c/L more than ULP over here, well at the servo's that I fill up at anyway.

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    Ultimate is usually 7c/L more than ULP over here, well at the servo's that I fill up at anyway.

Troy.
    So it looks like you're surviving fine without competition - the premium is the same as Melbourne. You also have the benefit of having the best Ultimate, with the most advanced refinery out in Kwinana.

I'm surprised that Shell is getting away with charging 8.4-8.5cpl premium with Ultimate & Synergy 8000 here - I guess it is because of its superior brand awareness, etc.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Gem

When I first got my car I used Optimax, but then one day I tried Ultimate and found it a lot beter. I think it is more of a consistent quality than Optimax.
    Though lately I have been having problems getting either of the fuels. Seems as soon as the price comes day for a day all the cheap bums race out and empty out the petrol station tanks!
    ~ gemma ~
    '95 306 S16
    [MYS16]

Azide tastes nice on my cereal.

I always used Synergy as it was on my way and found it to be great. Great milage and power, well what could I expect from a 1.8 anyway LOL But now I use Optimax becasue there's a Shell just down the road and I find it's the same as the Synergy.

Tried Ultimate, but it was damn hard to find and more expensive than either Synergy or Optimax. Didn't notice any difference.
    1995 306 XR

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information