E-Tag position on windscreen
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: E-Tag position on windscreen

SW

Default E-Tag position on windscreen

I recall a post a while back (cant find it in the search) that mentioned there are only certain positions on the windscreens where the toll pass / E-tag (Sydney) may work properly on special windscreens.

I just bought a Renault scenic RX4 and it seems to have a tint on the screen to resist the heat - dont know whether it will affect the E-tag??

Advertisement

Has anyone had any problems.

thanks
    Scott

On the Clio i drive the E-Tag had to be mounted low in the centre of the windscreen otherwise it wouldn't register.

The Scenic has an athermic screen, that's the bluish tinge you see in the screen on the outside. The screen has a fine layer of metallic particles which help reflect heat, crucial in cars with large glassed areas.

You should be able to find some information in your owner's manual with regards to the positioning of transponders.

I'm not as familiar with the Scenic, but I know the Clio has a small cut out area in the centre lower section of the screen. It's quite obvious, you can see the cut out area - not a great place to put it, IMHO. Peugeot has a better setup than the Clio.

On the Peugeots the cutout area is in the blackened area in the upper centre section of the screen, near the rear view mirror. You don't need to look at the transponder, unlike the setup in the Clio. It is harder to see the cutout in this area, but your manual will tell you where to put it.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

The Scenic has an area in the centre top of the windscreen - from inside the vehicle you will see a black stippled mask area - behind the interior rear view mirror. Mine is placed there and works fine - Citylink in Melb are aware of issues with athermic windscreens and always check rego number with etag info and will not fine you if your account is valid

SW

thanks

there's a good point - if all else fails - refer to the manual!

I have noticed the blackened area doesnt have the blue tinge behind the rear view mirror so I will stick it there

thanks again

Scott

Fellow Frogger!

The E-tag generally won't work anywhere except on the cut-out area on those special wind screens.

I have tried many times and tag has failed to register.
    Called RTA and they advised that it is due to the metallic windscreen.

When I was drving the Clio loan car, one with a metallic windscreen, I held up the tag to the wind screen (or leave it on the dash), and it didn't work, drove through twice and got flashed. Called RTA to have the toll deducted from my account. Then 3rd time it didn't work again, I stopped and was holding up the traffic...(went thru anyway and got flashed again). Called RTA again thinking that my tag is not working, but they advised that it is because of the special windscreen on newer "luxuary" vehicles.

PS. I have got flashed at the Sydney Harbour Bridge/Tunnel Toll gates for:
    1. Driving past at 80km/h :> too fast and it didn't register.
    Which is wierd because it should work up to 110km/h or more doesn't it?
    2. Had no tag, thought it was on the car but I left it in another car...
    3. Somehow it just did't register, a couple of times.

On all these occasions I didn't ring up RTa afterwards and they simply deducted the toll from my account, no fines or processing fees, so in theory once you have an account you don't even need a tag.... it's all automatic anyway, got flashed and rego number picked out, referenced with account list and if valid you are ok. RTA knows that sometimes the tag/system sometimes doesn't work for no apparent reasons.
    Last edited by rc968; 10th November 2003 at 04:08 PM.

I dont have those etags on my car i dont like corporate australia getting their hands automaticly into the bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    I dont have those etags on my car i dont like corporate australia getting their hands automaticly into the bank account.
    but you work for one multinational servicing corporate australia! So they can pay you, but not take money from you...I see...

re: topic at hand. the limit on the harbour bridge is supposed to be 40kph, we've pushed to 70kph, interesting to see that the limit is 80kph.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    So how do you pay ? - wait for the letter ?

- XTC206 -

Sorry we don't have tolls over here.
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I just pay with small coins like people di years ago before the government & private operators thought of how to get more cash out of motorists.
    If the etags were free to drivers I might be swayed..

They are free, they don't cost anymore than using spare change.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    They are free, they don't cost anymore than using spare change.
    Do you get a discount for using e-tag (or buying in advance ?).

Can you pay/recharge on the web (site please) - just interested.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Citylink in Melbourne's pricing matrix makes no sense really.

Irregular users who don't have an eTag can purchase day passes, unlimited travel for $9.40 per day. A weekend pass is $9.40. 12 passes per year. These prices are all you can drive. The weekend pass is great value - all you can drive during the weekend, and it's quite plausible to make more than one return trip in that period (eg. go to the airport one day, head into the city another).

For users with the eTag transponder (ie. more regular ones), there is a one way trip cap of $4.92 or $9.84 return. Minimum spend of $27.50 per annum.

Really silly if you ask me - irregular users get cheaper access. Expensive too - I try to avoid it if time is on my side, otherwise I'd be paying $200 a month in tolls. Think about how much that would be over a year!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    In Melbourne you can do so online and via phone, post office, Shell Touch machine and at some newsagents. The phone system (I use this when I get a loan car) uses voice recognition which can be fun at times.

You can pay after you use Citylink too.

Whilst I think Citylink is expensive, I have to say the tolling system is superb. I think tolling booths are an anachronism, slowing down traffic. The beauty of Melbourne's system is that you never stop - traffic always flows. Even if you don't have an eTag, it's not a problem, the camera at the toll gantry will recognise your numberplate.

Don't get any funny ideas, apparently the tolling system was tested at speeds of up to 200km/h

And in news today, one of our loved speed cameras in a City Link tunnel was turned off because it clocked a truck going through the tunnel at 174km/h.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC

Nice Avatar

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Do you get a discount for using e-tag (or buying in advance ?).

- XTC206 -
    You don't get a discount, but I can see them offering discounts in the future as it seems there are a large amount of people still not using them yet.

I don't think you can pay on the web, but you have a few payment options;

* Automatic deduction from CC (What we use)
    * Automatic deduction from normal account
    * Prepaid <-- this ones for you Danny boy!

I think they deduct $100 a go in our case, as we use the ED quite often ($8 per day)

How much are tolls in SYD?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

For the Eastern Dist, it's $4 northbound and then we use the bridge southound, which is $3. OK so it's $7 each day.

Although today, the 307 is being serviced, so we drove both that and the 9-3 in....and my sister is working late, so she drove the Clubsport in as well. $21 just for bloody tolls.

XTC

$21 just for tolls !!!

Forget it ... pay for parking and it's a very very expensive day ...

Do they ever take tolls off (and how long does it take?)

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i am so glad that i don't have to pay any tolls out here
    those prices just to use a road has to be a joke surely

last time i paid a toll i think was on the M5 and it was 2.50 i think
    i try to avoid tollways if i can
    the advent of the motorways is great as it tends to leave the other roads they are bypassing a lot clearer so long as you pick the right time of day to drive through there of course
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Tadpole

Default Picasso

Having problems with positioning of the E-tag on a C4 Picasso. Anyone else had any experience with this?

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default City link is a rip off

G'day,

Melbourne tolls are a joke. As mentioned above, it's cheaper to pay as you go - if you pay in advance you not only get charged more for your trips but they send you "bills" if your account is less than about $50 in credit !

If you are in the "other" car and the transponder is not with you you get charged a "look up" fee to check the rego against the database, you get stung also if the transponder doesn't work.

Dunno about the "12/year" limit, I was sure that it was a blanket limit total number of trips, none of this time span stuff ? One you get to have used the bloody thing a certain number of times you MUST have an account ? Have to revisit this area, maybe I can tell 'em to stick their transponder......

When they first started up it was cheaper to have an account, once we were all sucked into the system the lets bleed em attitude kicked in.

I don't mind paying to use their system, OK, it does hurt to be charged to use ex-freeways but the tunnel is a great asset provided you don't continue on down to Frankston or whatever, the tolls at that bottom end outfit are killers.

cheers,
    Bob

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by rcs47mark View Post
    Having problems with positioning of the E-tag on a C4 Picasso. Anyone else had any experience with this?
    I think your car has an athermic windscreen and therefore there should be a dotted area above the rear view mirror. Mount the e-tag there.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Yep, on the Scenic the tag only works in the dotted section at the top of the screen. Don't bother trying anywhere else, it won't work. By the way, the RTA has a low use tag arrangement, particularly useful if you are visiting Sydney. Check the RTA website.

Check the handbook, guys -- should be the first thing you do after you collect the keys, anyway, and you can be certain there'll be a note in there about positioning toll tags if appropriate. I can personally vouch for the Clio, and 206, and 207 handbooks, and I'd almost be prepared to put $10 on the Picasso handbook, too.

We've got a pair of Eastlink e-tags on the same account, and I don't think two cost any more than one (or that one costs anything, in any case). Minimum account balance is $30, and that's about where it sits most of the time, because most of the time we don't use the tollways. For one thing, every gantry (and many bridges) hide Speed-And-Definitely-Not-Revenue-Oh-No cameras, and as a result, everyone drives nose-to-tail between 95 and 99 km/h, which scares the [email protected] out of me, because the traffic flow can get to be very heavy at times.

The tolls are strongly biased against the daily user, confident in the expectation that if your employer really loves you, they'll pay your tolls, and if not, TS ... you can probably afford it if you give something else up, anyway (like eating, maybe ...).

I live around the corner from the tollway, but almost without exception I'd prefer to use the arterials (even though the toll operators' compliant accomplices, the state government, stole one-third of Springvale Road's capacity by dedicating one lane to buses only). Only time I always use the tollway is to get out of town expeditiously at weekends (at weekend rates), where it saves me a good five or ten minutes, and even then, I usually won't use it coming back unless I'm rushing to make an appointment back in town.
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ťre grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information