Constructive criticism re new forum software
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 98
  1. #1
    Local Tyrant gibgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Queensland
    Posts
    3,515

    Default Constructive criticism re new forum software

    OK we've had a few days to have a bit of a geezer.

    Still some work to do.
    So far the main probs were the PM's not importing properly, a few graemlin & icon problems, no avatars in the user control panel; these are all taken care of now.

    Does everyone like the actual software?

    Forget the colours & forum layouts, & remember turning on fancy dancy features may play havoc with the "older" members, can we make something a bit easier by allowing/ disallowing a feature?

    Advertisement


    Incidently, if you were a previous user of the "daily topics" part of the former software, there's a similar feature available by clicking the second on the top right while logged in.

    This is a beta version, meaning it still has bugs. Some I have manually gone it to fix after reading the vBulletin forums.
    The fact that members & posts were imported pretty well successfully is quite amazing when you consider how UBB & vBulletin work using completely different principles, ie database & raw cgi.

    People are saying it's faster, not the case for me. This could be to do with my connection though

    Computer challenged members??? whaddyareckon about it all?

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! DTwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    770

    Default

    It's noticably faster at this end......

    the alternating green and white is a bit "in your face"

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! MYT205's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    HEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS faster on my end.

    I much prefer this sort of board to that we were using previously.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! briz205's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Auckland New Zealand
    Posts
    894

    Icon6

    Gerry,

    Great improvement over the old software heaps of new features to play with. It seems the same on my cable but on 56K is so much faster!!!! Thank you so much for doing this for us :headbange

    Nick
    Auckland NZ -
    2000 Peugeot 406 Coupe, Dark Green.
    2001 Renault Clio Sport RS, Silver.

    Brisbane Aus -
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi, Light Blue.

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    323

    Default

    I have to agree with the lads, its quicker on my end and has good extras.

    Neil
    205GTI/Mi16
    Tony Sprint Kart

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts Damien Gardner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Wendouree Vic. Aust
    Posts
    2,436

    Default

    Gerry, the new format is great, however on my cable it is somewhat slower than the old one. However that being said, it may be my pent 2-200 takes longer number crunching the new software.
    Also there's been a couple of drop outs, one each yesterday and today that i noticed, 5-10 mins each.
    Lookin gooood
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

    We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

    Robert Jordan & memyself&I

    1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! Ralph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Wodonga
    Posts
    928

    Icon7

    Gerry,

    You have done an excellent job. The pages do load a lot more quickly, I'm still on 56k modem.

    I'd like to see the member numbers included with the member's name as in the old Forum. The layout looks good too, perhaps a bit too much white! How many posts makes one a tadpole, member, fellow frogger and guru?

    The topic review window that appears at the bottom of the post reply/new reply is a good idea. I used to open two windows when replying in a thread so I could see what had already been posted so as to keep the reply relevant.

    I also like the little popups that appear when you hold your mouse over buttons etc.

    I could imagine users being able to set their own avatars would save you some work!

    Keep up the good work.

    Ralph.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! Mitch Mi16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    568

    Default

    I think the new board is very cool.. i liked that avatar could be 150x150 pixels. and now i look they areonly 100x100... whats gone on for it to be changed...

    but all in all after the bugs are out i'm sureit will be even better..

    It is faster at my end as well
    THE MAD PUGGA

    1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

  9. #9
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    Gerry

    i think it is all pretty good
    speed wise i haven't noticed too much of a difference here but i'm on ADSL
    the little axtra features over the other software are nice and handy

    Dtwo
    as for the colours they are the same as what we had before bar for the two tone blue lines that go across in between posts

    damien
    yes i to noticed the dropouts yesterday and today but i put that down to just a few little bugs bieng ironed out or little reloads on the server and i expected more than that actually

    But when it all comes down to it in the end it's the content and the friendly community we have here that keeps us here i'm sure
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  10. #10
    Local Tyrant gibgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Queensland
    Posts
    3,515

    Default

    Post totals-

    user titles:
    Tadpole 0
    Member 30
    Fellow Frogger! 120
    Guru 2000

    user ranks:

    = 0

    = 30
    = 120
    = 1200+
    - Admin/ Moderator

    Made the avatar sizes back to default after reading a post where someone said the post info area 1 third of the screen @ 800X600 res. Is this correct?
    AVs already up are immune as are the ones on the board.
    100 X 100 with file size of 15k only now.

    I haven't seen anywhere to put back the member numbers. I'll keep an eye out for it.

    We can have many different colour schemes which you can choose from your "user cp" to suit your taste. The default will be this or something similar. The old colour scheme did not import. I "knocked" this up in minutes so I'm not surprised the sun glasses are required to avoid squinting.

  11. #11
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    I'm still at the bum scratching stage with it. Then again, if it hasn't got a bonnet and runs on petrol or doesn't go "Baaa" and has to be milked every day, I have to battle along until I get it all sorted out in my tiny little brain.
    I'll be buggered if I can find avatars and I somehow ended up with all kinds of gibberish at the bottom of all of my postings so I deleted the lot and that was sorted.
    Tried stuffing around with fonts and that was a disaster, but I did go for a 100 klms hike in the 16V this arvo on wide open no traffic up hill & down dale and around corners and over grids and railway crossings and could see daylight under the wheels of the cars trying to catch me as I went over these things, so who gives a stuff about some silly old 'puter.......temorrra's another day.
    I got 140 stubbies of beer to bottle!!





    Alan S

  12. #12
    Local Tyrant gibgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Queensland
    Posts
    3,515

    Default

    I also noticed aussiefrogs went down last night while I was fixing the PM's. It was for more than 5 minutes so I went to bed. This is why I didn't have PM's fix last night as promised.

    I am told it has been down at other stages today. This hasn't got to do with the new software.

    It's taking me about 1 minute to bring up a topic. I hope you guys aren't waiting that long
    I'm waiting for all sites no matter where/ what it is though.

  13. #13
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Icon9 Netscape / Mozilla

    It works fine in IE 6 ... but plays up in Mozilla (1.3-1.5).. can't finds posts.

    Error message - Invalid Post specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster

    Anything in the setup that talks about browser compatability ?

    - XTC206 - "Who avoids MS when possible"

    PS: MS is buying google .. all over now
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  14. #14
    1000+ Posts silverexec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Posts
    1,001

    Icon10

    WOW!!! My first look at the new forum tonight, and what can I say but WOW!!!

    Very swish! I guess it would take a bit of time to get used to but at first glance it seems great. I like all the extra features, it will give me something to play with when I'm bored.

    Good work!

    But... I've just tried adding some smilies and they don't want to work. Probably something to do with Opera 6. Looks like I'll have to fix up my signature too, it's coming up as a heap of garbage.

    Apart from all that, it's looking good!

    Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

    Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger! markm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Rokeby (100Km East of Melb)
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Sorry guys the outages were probably us. One of our switches decided not to switch and it took about an hour to figure it out as switches never go wrong....well now we know better. Also we are upping out link to the outside world on the 1st December so it may get faster, at the moment things are slow during school hours as we have some schools sucking the bandwidth.
    Last edited by markm; 7th November 2003 at 11:48 PM.
    Mark McKibbin

  16. #16
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    has anyone else noticed if their first name in their profile is not their first name ?

    i know someone mentioned this before but i was wondering how many others have had a look attheir profile

    mine has my cars owned as a first name from the old forum

    it's not a biggy but i'd take it as a pain staking task to go through and change all the names again unless there is a way we can do it as Gerry has probably seen enough screen and forum to last him till the next coming
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  17. #17
    Local Tyrant gibgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Queensland
    Posts
    3,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    has anyone else noticed if their first name in their profile is not their first name ?

    i know someone mentioned this before but i was wondering how many others have had a look attheir profile

    mine has my cars owned as a first name from the old forum

    it's not a biggy but i'd take it as a pain staking task to go through and change all the names again unless there is a way we can do it as Gerry has probably seen enough screen and forum to last him till the next coming
    I can easily amend that field, just hope I'm not too late & people haven't already moved the info to the new area.
    Is that what we want?
    Is there any other fields that would be good to add, eg, cars you are wrecking?
    That way someone can do a search for members wrecking Pug 504's as example.
    Or other ideas?

    Glad to hear about the bandwidth Mark!
    I'm currently working on getting the DCSI banner back down the bottom (& the drop down menus up top).

    I'll check for browser probs re motzilla & opera. I remember reading on vBulletin forums about it being a PHP prob (server). We have been offered a newer server by DCSI with a later version of PHP which we may need to take up.

  18. #18
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    Either I'm getting traumatised or I've done too much R & D on the Home Brew, but I noticed that 'gibgib' has deleted a post relating to the PMs but it says at the side "view"...'yeah, right,' says I, but when I click on to view, I can actually see the deleted messages.
    Does this mean that if someone does an objectionable post say like "Osama is a poof" and as moderator I am contacted by someone who says "Hmmmmmmmmm, really sweetie, do you want everybody to know?" and I delete that post, that if Osama starts driving a Pug (as most 'Osamas and his kinfolk' seem to do) and becomes a registered member, that he can then go to the post that has been deleted and see what has been said?
    Bit scarey if it is, as instead of stopping a riot it may fuel one particularly if there's a couple of teapots amongst us.
    Last time I was this confused was when the dog ate the rooster and I saw one hen treading another and another hen started crowing.

    Hey, steady on sunshine; gettin' a bit carried away now ain'tcha


    Alan S ........... "Please explayne"

  19. #19
    Local Tyrant gibgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Queensland
    Posts
    3,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Either I'm getting traumatised or I've done too much R & D on the Home Brew, but I noticed that 'gibgib' has deleted a post relating to the PMs but it says at the side "view"...'yeah, right,' says I, but when I click on to view, I can actually see the deleted messages.
    Does this mean that if someone does an objectionable post say like "Osama is a poof" and as moderator I am contacted by someone who says "Hmmmmmmmmm, really sweetie, do you want everybody to know?" and I delete that post, that if Osama starts driving a Pug (as most 'Osamas and his kinfolk' seem to do) and becomes a registered member, that he can then go to the post that has been deleted and see what has been said?
    Bit scarey if it is, as instead of stopping a riot it may fuel one particularly if there's a couple of teapots amongst us.
    Last time I was this confused was when the dog ate the rooster and I saw one hen treading another and another hen started crowing.

    Hey, steady on sunshine; gettin' a bit carried away now ain'tcha


    Alan S ........... "Please explayne"
    Yesh shunny

    Pretty cool. It's because you are "all powerful" now
    Being a moderator of this forum you can see posts that have been deleted.
    Nothings sacred at AF now
    Be careful what you post/ delete

  20. #20
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gibgib
    I can easily amend that field, just hope I'm not too late & people haven't already moved the info to the new area.
    Is that what we want?
    Is there any other fields that would be good to add, eg, cars you are wrecking?
    That way someone can do a search for members wrecking Pug 504's as example.
    Or other ideas?
    a cars wrecking field could/would be handy
    and a parts supplier field maybe as well or would that be hinting towards commercial status ??

    but really Gerry i think you have done enough for now as i am sure you must need some rest and a few
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  21. #21
    UFO
    UFO is offline
    Citroën Tragic UFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gerringong, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Not looking too bad at present. Nearly as good as the new Citroen Bully Board

    Hope you haven't pulled all your hair out GG. It's bloody hard work getting these things right. I should know, Lloyd keeps telling me every time I ask him to change something on the Cit Bully board
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

  22. #22
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,131

    Icon7

    First chance to sit down and reply since the change

    Firsty thank you to GibGib and DCSI (MarkM)

    The changes made, mark another milestone in the history of Aussiefrogs, all good and as has been mentioned it's the camaraderie of members that has endured through these changes, making all this work worthwhile, thanks again Gerry and Mark, luv' it

    Like AlanS I'm still getting my head around the myriad of new features, I can see the calendar being a great asset when organising drives and events. I have the WYSIWYG feature turned on for making posts, very cool to see how your post is looking.

    GibGib are you going to name the buttons on the top right View New Posts etc.

    If I have one criticism and it's no biggy it's the amount of real estate the new board uses, by that I mean where we could view say five posts on the screen at one time I'm down to maybe two or three, just means a bit more scrolling.

    Speed, the board seems quicker, I'll let you know when I'm speed restricted toward the end of the month = no thanks to Optless :>

    I'm sure this board as with the previous will now go through some minor evolution, with changes here and there as it settles in but early impressions are all good.

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  23. #23
    Local Tyrant gibgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Queensland
    Posts
    3,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    First chance to sit down and reply since the change

    Firsty thank you to GibGib and DCSI (MarkM)

    The changes made, mark another milestone in the history of Aussiefrogs, all good and as has been mentioned it's the camaraderie of members that has endured through these changes, making all this work worthwhile, thanks again Gerry and Mark, luv' it

    Like AlanS I'm still getting my head around the myriad of new features, I can see the calendar being a great asset when organising drives and events. I have the WYSIWYG feature turned on for making posts, very cool to see how your post is looking.

    GibGib are you going to name the buttons on the top right View New Posts etc.

    If I have one criticism and it's no biggy it's the amount of real estate the new board uses, by that I mean where we could view say five posts on the screen at one time I'm down to maybe two or three, just means a bit more scrolling.

    Speed, the board seems quicker, I'll let you know when I'm speed restricted toward the end of the month = no thanks to Optless :>

    I'm sure this board as with the previous will now go through some minor evolution, with changes here and there as it settles in but early impressions are all good.

    Cheers
    Chris
    I could change the font size re real estate space but I assume most are as blind as bats (bats apparently have good eye sight ) making it smaller may create problems.

    Changing the icons would be good but they've made it difficult by using the same icon five times (same file name). If you read the mouse over it states "temporary" so I figure they will fix it next upgrade.

  24. #24
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gibgib
    I could change the font size re real estate space but I assume most are as blind as bats (bats apparently have good eye sight ) making it smaller may create problems.
    There can't be many people on the good ol' 800x600, most have moved to 1024x768 and others at 1280x1024 (me), and some even at 1600x1200. Real estate always is a problem .. but we now develop in 1024x768, sign of the times.

    - XTC206 -
    Last edited by XTC206; 8th November 2003 at 01:45 AM.

  25. #25
    Fellow Frogger! boodek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Wodonga, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    343

    Default

    I reckon it's quite an improvement, and loads faster on my ADSL connection. I would really like to see member numbers be reinstated, if only because they make member-specific searches a damn sight easier. Has anyone else had a reduction in total posts listed? At this rate I'll never become a fellow frogger (again; I was demoted to member with the forum change!)
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •